U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,206,467 times

Advertisements

Re allergies, this might provide a little more info:

Common North Carolina Allergens; Triggers for Hay Fever, Asthma, Seasonal Allergies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM

8,067 posts, read 10,586,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txspamom View Post
I heard that seasonal allergies are not as bad in NC. I guess I was mistaken?
The "season" for allergies is about March to July. All of these gorgeous flowering plants you see in the photos have to reproduce somehow! And then there are the grass allergins.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 PM

4,895 posts, read 10,326,039 times
Quote:
You drive for hours....and you are still in...Texas. The summer is brutal and there is not much of a winter.

I want my kids to experience things....go places, see things....the Dallas area just doesn't offer that.
Exactly. You drive for 6 hours to get to the beach, and it's not even a beach. . . .it's a shipping port and chemical refinery. You drive for 6 hours and you get to the Ozarks, or you drive for 8 hours and you get to the mountains of New Mexico. Here you can be to the beach in 2 hours and the mountains in 3.

Yes. . . . the Dallas summers are brutal heat wise. I remember one summer where I survived 60+ days of 100+ degree weather. Here the temperatures are about 10 degrees cooler than Dallas, on average, but the humidity is higher and for a longer period.

I disagree that the Dallas area does not have alot to offer. I lived there for 20 years and kept myself out of trouble.

Quote:
I heard that seasonal allergies are not as bad in NC. I guess I was mistaken?
Depends on what you are allergic to. The pollution here is definitely a lot better than Dallas. How many days did you have purple air quality days this summer? I doubt that we even had any red days. Also, the plants here are different. No mesquite here, No pine trees in Dallas, for example. . . . My wife's allergies got a lot better, but that's not saying that she'll get new ones the longer she lives here.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,867,359 times
I lived in Frisco for four years prior to moving to the Triangle area. I can completely understand your desire to leave Texas. I was a very strange place for me.

I will tell you that if you are moving here for a lower cost of living, you will not find it in the Triangle. Taxes are higher, housing is higher and you pay state income tax. Also, you are not going to find more cultural activities, shopping, quality restaurants or a break from the heat here in the Triangle.

Schools here are average, certainly not any "better" than you will find in Flower Mound or what I saw in Frisco.

One thing that the Triangle does have over N. Texas is the beautiful landscape. If you like to hike or mountain bike or just observe nature, this will be a vast improvement over Flower Mound. As far as the beach being 2 hours (that is the nearest beach, which you may or may not choose to go to), for us, it is a bit far to be considered convenient.

The Triangle is by no means a panacea. The best thing to do is try to spend as much time here before making your decision as possible.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,960,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The "season" for allergies is about March to July. All of these gorgeous flowering plants you see in the photos have to reproduce somehow! And then there are the grass allergins.
For those of us who are allergic to rag weed too, it's season is from about July until the first hard frost. Sigh.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,166,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
That's pine pollen. It's not the stuff that triggers allergies ...
Um, maybe not for YOU, but it does for lots of us.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 PM

94 posts, read 196,315 times
I found that the groceries are a bit more expensive than in Texas. When all the pollen was all over the place this spring I didn't have any problems but there has been something in the air lately bothering me (rag weed maybe?). Still, nothing as bad as the cedar "fever" I used to get in Austin.

I have to disagree about the heat....at least this summer, which was my first here, I found the temps to be quite reasonable and I couldn't help but give my family back in Texas a hard time as they were dealing with 60+ days of temps over 100.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 PM

635 posts, read 1,857,563 times
Thumbs up Pine pollen isn't an allergen for most people fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Um, maybe not for YOU, but it does for lots of us.

Pine Pollen: True Allergen or Colorful Masquerader?

I lived in Dallas for many years, also in N. California, and we considered Austin, Seattle, and Raleigh as our next stop.... we chose the Raleigh area.

Our primary driver for moving was cost of living and pace/quality of life. Seattle, although we loved the area(my wife had lived in the area before), was still very high COL and we also were uneasy about 200+ days of overcast weather. Austin was "more Texas", and I had enough of living in Houston and Dallas for over a decade. I know some folks love Texas, but it just wasn't for me. Plus the summers in Dallas were blazing hot, and the winters can also be brutal with severe ice storms and biting cold wind.

Raleigh on the other hand was nice and "green", COL was very reasonable, schools were good, and it seemed to be seeing a lot of new investment and community growth.

The Raleigh area isn't perfection of course, but the area does consistently rank highly in recommended destinations for relocation, and we've been very happy with our move.

Good luck!

Al

Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
Quote:
The extreme temperatures in the DFW area and lack of culture/scenery/things to do are driving us out of the state. Not to mention the serious outdoor allergies that my son and I have.
A friend in Raleigh forwarded the link to this thread, and I wanted to add a few comments.

My wife and I moved from Fort Worth to L.A. in '07. Reasons? Extreme temperatures? Yes - the top reason. Beach? Yep. Allergies? That, too. Way fewer bugs? An unexpected bonus - no fire ants and very few mosquitoes where we live.

Not on our list? That D/FW lacked culture and things to do.

While you are waiting to move, here are some options for you:

Allegro Guitar Society
Allegro Guitar Society | Presenting Classical Guitar in North America
Performances for the '09-'10 season start Oct. 22 at the Modern in Fort Worth (they have performances in Dallas, too)

Kimball Art Museum
in Fort Worth
www.kimbellart.org

The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas
Nasher Sculpture Center - Home

Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth
Amon Carter Museum | An American Collection | Fort Worth, Texas

Performances at Bass Hall in Fort Worth
Bass Hall, Performing Arts Fort Worth

Dallas Museum of Art
Dallas Museum of Art - Home

Old 10-02-2009, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 14,948 times
Default NC is not a place for me

I haven't been to Dallas so don't know much about that area. We moved to Raleigh from Northen VA and find nothing to do around here, beside go to the beach during the summer time.

Allergy is bad and tax is very high here. Another thing, we couldn't find any good Asian restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary