Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,923,943 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Pittsboro in the fall. I noticed 3 different police forces patrolling NC roads.

Local Pittsboro Police
Chatham County Sheriffs office
And State police.

What are the role differences between Pittsboro Police and Chatham County's Sheriffs office?

-TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM

64 posts, read 251,124 times
Sheriff works for the county and is an elected position. They don't do much enforcement, more of the "custodial" duties like transporting prisoners and serving warrants. They are called for things outside of city limits or if they are the closest in an emergency situation.

City police is pretty typical.

State police, or State Highway Patrol, will come in to play for most people simply as kings of the speed trap. They have the toughest training and do a bit more than run radar but its likely all you will ever notice them for.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,663,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I'm moving to Pittsboro in the fall. I noticed 3 different police forces patrolling NC roads.

Local Pittsboro Police
Chatham County Sheriffs office
And State police.

What are the role differences between Pittsboro Police and Chatham County's Sheriffs office?

-TY
That is pretty standard for most areas. Here are you from that doesn't have city police, county sheriffs for out of city areas and then a state police (also sometimes called 'state troopers')?

In Wake Forest you will see all three as well.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,412 times
From what I can tell from watching the Andy Griffith show, it breaks down like this...

The Sheriff takes care of all the misdeeds that may occur from time to time (mostly moonshinin'). He also often jails prisoners for the State Police for some reason.

The State Police pretty much handle any crime that crosses county borders, like jewel thieves that go from town to town.

And I've never heard of 'local' police.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

134 posts, read 549,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
From what I can tell from watching the Andy Griffith show, it breaks down like this...

The Sheriff takes care of all the misdeeds that may occur from time to time (mostly moonshinin'). He also often jails prisoners for the State Police for some reason.

The State Police pretty much handle any crime that crosses county borders, like jewel thieves that go from town to town.

And I've never heard of 'local' police.
Oooooh boy. dems fightin words!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,456 times
Raleigh Police Department- handles all calls, issues within city limits. A city police officer has the widest range of duties of any officer and is the busiest because most of the citizens live within city limits and the city is also where the bulk of incidents occur.

Wake County Sheriff Office- handles all calls, issues that occur outside the jurisdiction of any city but still inside of Wake County. The Sheriff Office will also usually run the county jail.

North Carolina Highway Patrol- their jurisdiction extends anywhere in North Carolina. Like another poster said, they primarily deal with traffic enforcement because they aren't dispatched 911 calls and calls for service like the other two agencies. They still assist with many calls and in really rural areas they often have roles similar to those of a city police officer.

The City Police are the best....

Last edited by ALT-X; 04-30-2007 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-05-2007, 09:41 PM

71 posts, read 79,199 times
The Sheriff is the top law enforcement officer in the county and enjoys certain powers and responsibilities that the other officers do not.

For example, if you live in Raleigh and want to buy a pistol, you don't go to the Raleigh PD for a permit. You must go to the sheriff for this.

In some counties (maybe even Wake, I don't know for sure) the Sheriff can assert jurisdiction over other law enforcement agencies operating within his county, including local and federal law enforcement.

The sheriff is an elected official.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,644 times
Do raleigh police officers have to live within city limits?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Each town is different. We are a small town, so the sheriff assigns a couple of his men and our town pays for it. That saves us a lot of money. The duties are assigned according to the agency and in our county the sheriff can give out traffic tickets also. Then there are SBI agents which is a state organization like the FBI but only does enforcement in our state.

When you see them all parked in an area together, you know something big is up and they are about to make the news. They really back each other up and we are happy about that.

When you are driving the people you really have to look out for are the state troopers and the city policemen. They will catch you if they can.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
the general hierarchy of law Enforcement in NC is:

State Trooper
County Sheriff
City Cop

If you are a law abiding citizen the only thing u need know is "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary