Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
question: Do Chapel Hill teachers make the same as other state teachers ? Since it is separate in many ways and touted as the best school system in the area I would think they make more. And since our taxes are so high, does that premium go to the teachers or to the schools at all?
I'm not sure this fully answers your question, but start with the state salary schedule:

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...0schedules.pdf

Add local supplements as listed in this chart:

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...upplements.pdf

If I read this right, the average CHCCS teach gets a supplement of $6650 on top of the state schedule, while the average Wake teacher gets $6049.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
I don't know where in NJ you live, but let's see what my wife (9-year teacher with Masters and National Boards) would get paid in NJ:

If I go here and plug in Morris county, which IIRC is a pretty affluent county, a 9-year K-5 teacher with a Masters gets paid $54K - $60K. Also, in Morris county, there is only a $1K salary bonus (http://www.nbsupportnetwork.org/district_incentives.html - broken link) for getting National Boards. So, let's call it $55 - $61K with Masters and National Boards.

In Durham, a 9-year teacher with a Masters and National Boards gets paid $47,050 + 12.5% county supplement, or $52,875.
So, she could get paid $1 - $8K more a year to work in Morristown. Somehow, I don't think that would cut it. Pretty expensive there.

Benefits are probably a different story, but we both have our own health insurance so I'm not on the state plan. Haven't had a problem with benefits.

So, basically, if you go all out and get your Masters and National Boards, you can do pretty well in NC compared to an expensive county in NJ (unless I'm missing something).

Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
This one does seem to confuse people up north, but it's quite simple really: We don't have "school districts." School systems are county based, with only one or two exceptions (like Chapel Hill). It's not that hard.
Very well said!!!! I owe you rep points... must spread the love first.

Personally I find it confussing how Northern School districts are allowed to segregate all the wealthy kids into small well funded districts and then stick the kids from lower socio-economic backgrounds into underfunded schools and THINK that their state is superior in terms of education.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
PDX...I sent you a DM...just a different perspective on what goes on up there.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM

93 posts, read 326,502 times
Hmmm, not sure where you get your info...most local governments and school districts here in NY are small because people believe in local govt being really local! What is best for my village might not apply to the next village over, etc. It is taking time but now some small municipalities are merging to save on services (finally!) As for schools, we have what is called Boards of Cooperative Educational Services that provide additional support/resources to small districts. For example, my small district doesn't have to run an auto shop program, we send those students to BOCES. It might look different, but the reality is very similar to large districts.

To mitigate the differences from community to community, the state of NY has a state aid ratio. If the economic profile of your district is high, you get less aid than a neighboring district that serves lower income students. Pretty simple, really.

Please don't tar all Northern Districts with the same brush.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM

571 posts, read 1,302,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Personally I find it confussing how Northern School districts are allowed to segregate all the wealthy kids into small well funded districts and then stick the kids from lower socio-economic backgrounds into underfunded schools and THINK that their state is superior in terms of education.
I am a NY State certified teacher and I taught there for several years before relocating to NC for graduate school. I don't know what this segregation is that you speak of. Maybe other states are different, but in NY, we attended whatever school was in our base area. My high school, and those I taught at, had a diversity of incomes and socio-economic backgrounds. I haven't been back in a while, so maybe things have changed. I do remember many parents wanting their children to attend "better" schools, but without proof of residency in that area, it wasn't allowed.

As has been said many times, please don't anyone relocate to any state without first securing a job. Having a teaching license does not guarantee you anything.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

93 posts, read 326,502 times
To the original poster...I'm also moving to NC and a teacher. (I'm currently in NY) I thought you might be interested in this survey...

2008 Results | Teacher Working Conditions Initiative

I also wanted to say that I contacted WCPSS about teaching there and received a call from
Jennifer Ouellette
Beginning Teacher Support Program Coordinating Teacher
Office of Recruitment and Retention
Wake County Public Schools
919-854-1692
919-854-1718 (fax)

We had a lovely chat and she was very friendly and supportive. I would call her with any questions you have. I am going back down to NC the next time they have a Job Fair, I have heard that is the best way to secure a postion for the next year.

Personally, I'm looking forward to being in a non-union environment and a lower tax world. The salaries in NC are virtually identical to what I've been getting here. Can't say about the benefits.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
30 years NC 58K //// 30 years many NJ districts with masters degree close to 100K

No union, no collective bargaining. They took .5% of our NC money last year. No raises this year. Its bad down here.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 PM

29 posts, read 71,661 times
capt chill, try teaching in south carolina, you'll be glad to go back to NC.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 AM

124 posts, read 292,828 times
In response to Capt Chill--according to wcpss.net where all salaries are posted:
30 years masters=$66,000
30 years board certified= $74,000

Yes they did take back .5% and it hurt. However in up north they just continue to raise taxes so the .5% is lower than having your taxes raised yearly by $600-$800 and often higher. In addition the cost of living in NC overall is much less than up north. therefore, anyone considering moving, whether it's NC or elsewhere, has to make that judgement for themselves. You will obviously get paid less, but housing and taxes are significantly less down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary