Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM

546 posts, read 2,412,237 times

Advertisements

For me it is more the $700 and up price tag to get used to the noise. If I am in that price range I expect more. Paying to be under the planes, next to the trains and near the power lines is not what I want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM

146 posts, read 689,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
For me it is more the $700 and up price tag to get used to the noise. If I am in that price range I expect more. Paying to be under the planes, next to the trains and near the power lines is not what I want to do.
Just think how much those houses would be if they were in the same location and DIDN'T have airplane noise!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 PM

43,044 posts, read 76,570,629 times
As they say in the auto industry, "There's a butt for every seat."

Old 04-30-2007, 04:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,144,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Please tell me why accepted laws of real estate do not apply to so much of North Raleigh. We looked at subdivisions which have airplane noise ('you can only hear it when you're outside, and only mornings and evenings', they say) due to proximity to flight path, zero amenities ('everyone just goes to the YMCA'), and are priced at high $700s.

Why would anyone pay for this? I understand people come from outside NC and are keen (aka greedy) to get a home size they could never typically afford in their area. But why would people be willing to pay so much for so little? And resale value: these airports usually get bigger, not smaller, more money is invested in more international flights, and more flights overall. Who wants to be at the mercy of that, even if one fancies himself a good community protestor (wrt to airplane noise)?
North Raleigh has DESIREABLITY and the area around Leesville Road is desired by many! Look at the new neighborhoods going up from $400s to $1 million. Remember: supply and demand. There is limited supply of land in North Raleigh but a high demand for it so the prices continue to rise. I've lived in this area for over 28 years and I've NEVER seen our prices go down! This area is close to shopping, close to RTP and has the best schools. So if YOU don't buy it...the next person will! Its just the way it is.
Vicki

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,548,905 times
Default Choose your poison.

I'm in contract to buy a house in North Raleigh, one that's in the flight path for RDU.

First and foremost I must explain that I grew up next to one of the worlds busiest airports in New York City. RDU would have to increase exponentially in size in such a way as to defy historical logic before it becomes an issue for me.

Second, I've spent several long stretches of time in the North Raleigh neighborhood since we've decided to buy and found the noise to be very mild. One house I looked at during our shopping process was near 540 whose noise was much more distracting even though it was at least a quarter mile away.

Third, choose your poison. Several houses we looked at in Raleigh had barking dogs in the neighbors backyard. That bothers me way more than airplane noise. In the neighborhood in which I currently live we are near a Coast Guard station. Helicopters often buzz over our house in such close proximity that the windows rattle from the rotor noise. Also, in the summer time it's not unusual to have non-commercial planes flying over my neighborhood that are so low that we joke that they're torpedo bombers. And we're not even close to a major airport.

Lastly, I'm buying a beautiful home in a relatively quiet community where my children can play in the large backyard or on the cul-de-sac. They can also swim in the community pool (by the way, every North Raleigh neighborhood we looked at offered community pools et all). All of this is costing way less (more than 50%) than $700k. Why is it worth it for us? Because it offers everything we wanted at the right price. Airplane noise is a very small distraction in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM

546 posts, read 2,412,237 times
That is the point exactly. You paid half of the price. I also live near RDU with some, not to bothersome, airplane noise but did not pay $700,000 and up to do so. I live in a great house in a great neighborhood for a reasonalbe amount of money.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM

43,044 posts, read 76,570,629 times
"Please tell me why accepted laws of real estate do not apply to so much of North Raleigh."
That was the original request.
It seems that we have confirmed that accepted laws of real estate definitely apply to North Raleigh.
Law #1. People either pay the price, or they don't.
Law #2. If they do, buyer activity supports market pricing. If they don't, market pricing falls.

Same as everywhere else in the world, it seems to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary