Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

Now granted maybe it's because of all the stinkin Yanks moving down here (oops wait I'm one of em )......but I am not seeing this southern friendliness/charm which allegedly exists here. Not saying people are terrible or anything, but hardly so friendly, at least not in N Raleigh areas that I frequent (or other areas that I can tell, although I am there less often). This has been driven home to me as i have taken up walking around various neighborhoods......I pass many people walking along, and almost never will someone give me so much as a hello or smile. And if I do so first, usually I get back - at most - a barely polite (and rather terse) response/acknowledgement.

Again don't get me wrong, I have certainly met nice people, but generally I have always heard this thing about people in the South being so friendy ie much more than "up North" and I'm not seeing it at all.

Anyone else experience similar, or something very different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
I have. I live in a walkable neighborhood and some days, everyone waves and says hi, and others, no one does and everyone looks glum or acts terse. Some days it just seems are happier than others and others have a pall upon them, like something is in the air. After getting my feelings hurt a couple of times, I decided I'd try to always smile and speak or wave no matter what - it's got to start somewhere and it's catching. I don't think it has anything to do with north or south. People are the same everywhere, it's just the current environment that's different. I was talking with a friend earlier tonight and we were discussing how pretty much everyone experiences everything at some point: at one point in your life you will be the person who offends, and at another you will be the person who gets offended. One day you will be the Moderator cut: language in traffic in a rush to get home, the next you may be the person who takes it easy and lets everyone in. One day you are a southerner who looks down on "yankees" from up north, the next you are looked down upon as a "yankee" american by someone from a different country. There's always an "other" side to the coin. I also think sometimes we don't know what's going on with other people and should be more tolerant and patient - maybe someone was just diagnosed with a serious illness or received some terrible news - and that's why they didn't do [x] or did do [x]. We can only control our own actions and strive to be better each day.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-05-2009 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 PM

467 posts, read 713,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Now granted maybe it's because of all the stinkin Yanks moving down here (oops wait I'm one of em )......but I am not seeing this southern friendliness/charm which allegedly exists here. Not saying people are terrible or anything, but hardly so friendly, at least not in N Raleigh areas that I frequent (or other areas that I can tell, although I am there less often). This has been driven home to me as i have taken up walking around various neighborhoods......I pass many people walking along, and almost never will someone give me so much as a hello or smile. And if I do so first, usually I get back - at most - a barely polite (and rather terse) response/acknowledgement.

Again don't get me wrong, I have certainly met nice people, but generally I have always heard this thing about people in the South being so friendy ie much more than "up North" and I'm not seeing it at all.

Anyone else experience similar, or something very different?
I believe what you think is southern hospitality is different from what people down here actually think. People are all yee-haw polite and stuff, but what we northerners miss is the straight-forwardness in a person. People here talk to you, go out to lunch with you, invite you to dinner or something, but never give you anything in return or vice versa. I get hellos, goodbyes, waves, et cetera, but I don't see the southern oh my god polite, I'd let you sleep here if you wanted effect. I don't know if you get what i'm saying, but i'm finding that people here don't tell you like it is.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM

There may be some truth to that. I'm a southerner and was raised that "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Short of a place to crash, what more do you expect from people than greetings, talks, lunches, and dinners? (not being snarky, just curious what you mean)

Last edited by MrsRhythm; 09-04-2009 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 PM

I forgot to say that it usually doesnt happen more than once. Like if you do lunch with a close friend, it won't happen for another 3 weeks. I don't know how they can't make room for it, ever. Most friends don't return calls from what i've heard. :x

Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
I forgot to say that it usually doesnt happen more than once. Like if you do lunch with a close friend, it won't happen for another 3 weeks. I don't know how they can't make room for it, ever. Most friends don't return calls from what i've heard. :x
Ah I get you. Yeah people do seem a lot busier these days. Maybe Facebook is to blame

Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
IPeople here talk to you,
No, they don't. That's more or less my point. They are very much to themselves that I have seen.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 PM

how hard are you trying to be social?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
If you live in the sub-burbs, much like the rest of America, it is (well) like the rest of America.

I'm a city boy, but I've lived in country for about 15 years now. Neighbors stop by and bring us veggies, come by if someone is sick, make sure to take care of those that need it, and generally never let another neighbor go in need.

Southern hospitality is live and well out here in the country. I'm a city boy from the north, but I've come to appreciate some good ole southern hospitatlity. (I guess my point is that you can't go looking for "something different" if you're not willing to venture out of "homonizedville"...)

Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I find that people reflect back what you project. That holds true most anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary