Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Beautiful puppies and dogs.

Wilkesboro is 2 hours 42 minutes away from Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusbarkers View Post
This shelter is a few hours away, but they always seem to have little dogs:
Available Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 AM

116 posts, read 326,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
We were at our vet today (info below) and they had a female chihuahua available for adoption. She really was a sweet little girl and all she wanted to do was be held by the nurses/staff. Her sister was already adopted so she is all by herself now. If I didn't just get my two little guys, she would have been a possibility for us :-)

Bowman Animal Hospital
8308 Creedmoor Road
Raleigh NC
919-847-6216

Thank you so much!! Just called :fingers crossed:: and will go and meet her today or tomorrow

Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
I know you didn't mention this breed but have you considered a Boston Terrier? We have one and they are a great breed! I'm not sure about energy level compared to a Pug or Chihuahua but they full of it for sure I signed up with the BTRNC and they are a great group of people. Boston Terrier Rescue of NC

Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I know you didn't mention this breed but have you considered a Boston Terrier? We have one and they are a great breed! I'm not sure about energy level compared to a Pug or Chihuahua but they full of it for sure I signed up with the BTRNC and they are a great group of people. Boston Terrier Rescue of NC

Thanks for the info. I will certainly read more on the breed...thanks again!!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Default I too was hesitant to adopt an adult dog....

I was very hesitant to adopt an adult dog. August of 2008, I headed to the Animal Protection Society of Durham. After reading an article in the Independent about how few black dogs get adopted, I decided to do just that. The feature dog in the article was at the APS, so that's why I went there.

Would you believe, they didn't have one black dog left! I walked up and down the aisle, considering the available dogs. One of my criteria was that the chosen dog could absolutely not be "barky". My beloved maltese, Spike, is quite vocal, much to the chagrin of my conference calling-work at home husband. So the new family member couldn't be vocal.

At one point, every dog in the place started barking all at one time. Two dogs didn't make a peep. Of the two, I chose the the little rat terrier mix. She is still fairly quiet, only barking like a crazy dog when we say "want to go bye-bye" or "treat!".

The APS called her Lillian, so we kept the name. Lilly is about 4 years old, about 11 pounds, and an indescribable joy to us all. We did have a few potty training issues, just the same as we would have had with a puppy. We've bonded with her as well as we did with Spike, who we got as a 2 1/2 pound puppy. Spikey is not a cuddler, he will sit next to you for awhile, but likes his space. Lilly, on the other hand, wants to be as close as possible. Her idea of heaven is to be on someones lap, or at least curled up as close to your side as she can get. I like to think she's grateful for being rescued and is always willing to show how much she adores us.

I will admit, it took me awhile to fall in love with her. Puppies are just so cute you can't help but love them right away. Adult dogs take awhile longer to grow on you sometime. Now, the entire family is just crazy over this goofy looking little bundle of energy. We can't imagine life without her. It took Spike almost a whole year to accept that she was staying. Now, finally, he actually will sit next to her - on purpose! He actually looks to her for leadership and lets her be in charge.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM

HappyNC Girl,

Thanks for sharing that story with me...so sweet.

We got a new addition to our family. A little sweet chihuahua whose names was sassy but she the sweetest thing you could ever meet. She is super afraid of us right now but we figure she will get used to us soon.

thanks for all the input....greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Congratulations on your new addition!!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Yay for you, and I know Sassy will be cherished in her new home!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 AM

thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary