U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,794 times
Red face Thinking of relocation to Cary NC from Western MA

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Cary, NC with our sons age 12 and 8. Wanted to know what the school system is like and the area in general with two growing boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,714,193 times
You won't have a problem with the school system in the Cary area. It is a perfect place in my opinion to raise a growing family. I myself relocated here with my children, and it was the best move I could have made. I wasn't sure at the time I did it, and was very nervous about my move. I wouldn't change anything though, and still love the area. My children are now grown and still live in the area, unlike some states when your children grow up they move away. I think you are thinking in the right direction. :-)

Debbie

Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM

112 posts, read 601,196 times
The schools in Cary are very good, but I'm hard-pressed to say they are as good as the ones in Western MA. Then again, I grew up in Amherst and didn't leave MA until 5 years ago, so I'm a bit partial about the education up there. I will say that you will love NC and definitely not miss the winters (although you will die laughing when they close schools for a quarter inch of snow like they did this year).

Where in MA are you coming from?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,718,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nee64 View Post
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Cary, NC with our sons age 12 and 8. Wanted to know what the school system is like and the area in general with two growing boys!
You'll find many posts about Wake County schools and Cary here. If there are specific questions, please ask....someone should be able to help.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

19,237 posts, read 29,636,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nee64 View Post
There are several growing boys in the area already...
Great Schools.
As good as MA?
I dunno, but Cary kids go to some of the highest rated schools in Wake County and North Carolina.

All the public schools are managed by Wake County, including assignments and reassignments.
www.wcpss.net has mega-information regarding schools, school assignment and websites for various schools.

With 8 and 12 YO guys, I would be thinking Davis Drive or Salem elementary and middle schools, being aware that Davis Drive is traditional Calendar and Salem is year round.

But the list goes on beyond that.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM

36 posts, read 161,223 times
County run school districts were one of the things that I needed to get used to down here, coming from Mass (where school districts are for 1 or 2 towns). Just because you live in Cary doesn't mean your kids will go to the neighborhood school - especially with year round coming. Do your homework as far as schooling goes! (ie, what schools the kids can go to, magnet choices, etc.)

Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 PM

19,237 posts, read 29,636,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
County run school districts were one of the things that I needed to get used to down here, coming from Mass (where school districts are for 1 or 2 towns). Just because you live in Cary doesn't mean your kids will go to the neighborhood school - especially with year round coming. Do your homework as far as schooling goes! (ie, what schools the kids can go to, magnet choices, etc.)
RIGHT.
And your Realtor will not guarantee a school, due to overcrowding and reassignment.
You will need to confirm assignment with Wake County Public School System.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

140 posts, read 408,148 times
I just relocated from southern Nh to Cary with my company. I don't have kids but I know that (from watching the news last night) last year the county Cary is in added 7000 kids to the school system. There is a shortage of teachers here and as a result the state is tossing out big money and incentives to bring teachers in...they need 3000 and some schools are going to a "year round school year" to helputilize the space they are wasting in the summer. I think that says a lot about the school systems both good in the demand and bad due to the growing pains

Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM

17 posts, read 40,877 times
nee64...where in Western MA??? We live in central MA and are hoping to move to Cary this summer...we have boys close to the same ages as yours. Have you visited the area yet??? We just got back 2 weeks ago.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM

238 posts, read 12,525 times
Hmm I'm not a fan of year-round school. I think kids need that break to look forward to, spend time outside enjoying the sunshine, the beach and pool, traveling to see relatives, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary