U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 AM

25 posts, read 51,731 times
We are not that close to the YMCA although maybe the Factory would have something. I don't think she will work fast food, too much of a snob! She wants to be a writer "when she grows up".

Another question...Is there a way to be notified when someone replies to my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

259 posts, read 443,523 times
yes. go to My Settings > Edit Options and set your Subscriptions to email you when someone replies after you. Alternatively, if you just want to get emails for just one thread, you can go up to "Thread Tools" and Subscribe up there.

If your daughter wants to be a writer, is there an internship available at your local paper?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
yes. go to My Settings > Edit Options and set your Subscriptions to email you when someone replies after you. Alternatively, if you just want to get emails for just one thread, you can go up to "Thread Tools" and Subscribe up there.

If your daughter wants to be a writer, is there an internship available at your local paper?
Did it, thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM

41 posts, read 51,393 times
When my daughter was 16, she worked the front counter at a Gold's Gym. I don't know how many there around anymore, but certainly there are other gyms in the area to consider. As I recall they can be very flexible with schedules. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yeah, fast food is a great place to learn that you want to be your own boss someday!
Really? I thought it was a great place to learn that I best get my lazy butt to college and take it seriously or I might end up in shleprock jobs like that the rest of my life. Talk about "fear factor" They're so repulsive IMO; I rarely even eat fast food any more.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 AM

8,719 posts, read 14,271,499 times
I work in an animal hospital and we have several kids that work in the kennel feeding and walking dogs. (and yes, scooping poop) LOL It's a great place to start if you love animals.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM

She landed a job as a hostess at LaForesta. It's going great, she likes it a lot. Thanks everyone for your input

Now, if anyone knows of a decent car...that's next on my agenda!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM

768 posts, read 764,741 times
I'm glad she found a job! La Foresta is a great restaurant! My daughter (now 17) just got hired at Fine in Wake Forest. It's nice to know so many places are hiring!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM

186 posts, read 229,989 times
unfortunately, very few are hiring teens right now as there are so many adults with families out of work. In fact I saw a pizza place with a sign in the window that said, do to our struggling economy, no teens will be considered.
On this subject. My husband is as of yesterday, looking for work. He has been in Grocery and management for about 10 yrs. His two most recent bosses are his references, in fact, they gave him their personal numbers and insisted. He is a hard worker, rarely misses a day, and all his employees get along well because his management style is so good.
His asst. has 4 kids. He changed the price on ten bouquets of flowers and forgot to reset the sell by date. It was an accident, it got caught and really it was no big deal but Dennis wrote it up and took the hit because he told the guy to do it. He was off the next day, the district guy came in.
Long story short, no one including the district guy thought this was going to be a big deal. BUT, in this economy they are looking for reasons to get rid of big salaries and my husband had a big one because of his work ethic. So, this incident happened 3 wks ago. He wrote the incident up and everyone thought it was over. He got a raise last week, yesterday he got let go. His Boss and area supervisor fought for 3 days to keep him and both, as I said, are his references.
You know, we are good people, my husband is better than I, even tempered, fair, disciplined in the workplace and has NEVER gotten a bad review at any place he has worked( only 2 in the past 20 yrs. Publix and Now this place. ( I can't mention) I am trying very hard NOT to be a hater, but man it's so hard right now, LOL.
So again, any body hear of a produce, or asst. store manager opening, or really even a produce clerk, please PM me and I will send you his resume, or send you whatever you need. At this point he is ready to take anything as his is the only paycheck coming in. I am on disability, and get a small check , but no where near enough. OK, enough of my whining. I am going to post a new subject on this too. Thanks for listening!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM

115 posts, read 202,891 times
I was going to suggest that she stay away from fast food places. I worked at a fast food joint in high school and put on the weight to show it (over the summer). Thankfully I played sports and was able to drop some of it.

This may not be an issue at a restaurant where the food choices are a little better and you are not tempted to snag a chicken finger here and there =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary