Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,742 times

Advertisements

Lots of bad info in this thread. First of all the floating deck system does not have footings. The deck sits on special concrete-block things. And you do not need a permit to build a floating deck that is not attached to your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Lots of bad info in this thread. First of all the floating deck system does not have footings. The deck sits on special concrete-block things. And you do not need a permit to build a floating deck that is not attached to your home.
From the Durham County website:

A deck is, according to the NC State Building Code, "an exterior floor system supported on at least two opposing sides by an adjoining structure and/or posts, piers, or other independent supports."
From the faqs:
Yes, a permit is required to build a deck, because it is considered to be structural work (something that carries a load other than itself; in this case, a person load). A brick paver patio would not require a permit, because the pavers are in 100% contact with the ground, whereas a deck is suspended above the ground, requiring the joists and posts to transfer the loads to the ground.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 09-11-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 PM

106 posts, read 512,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
i phoned wake county and my answer is still unclear ---everytime i have called about this deck i get a different answer --depends on who you speak to. " at the discretion of the inspector" WHAT!!! Should be all the same.
here in lies the problem--one can build a 12 x 12 shed without a permit in wake county--hmmm and the sheds are not in footers nor are they in contact with the ground---they are leveled with blocks-- they support a roof and side walls . now i have been told that i can build a deck 12 x 12 that is in "contact " with the ground without a permit--hmm maybe we'' build several 12 x 12 sections -rediculous--wake county needs to be more clear on deck permits--i would just like the specs on what they will approve--an idea on what is acceptable--i can pay $ for plans for a deck but then again...it may not be what "they " want and then we are out the $ for the plans...sounds like i have been there and done that--yep --with a "shed" 16 x 16 -professional install--took 3 trips to wake county and 3 architectual drawings before we got a permit -- see my frustration--sorry dont mean to bore ya'll --just want to know what's acceptable without forty trips to raleigh... the ground is getting to look better and better. lol

Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
I realize that the OP hasn't posted in about a year, so he's moved on, but I wonder if anyone has any updated info on this topic before I call Wake County and get their nebulous answer. Here is my situation:

1. I'm having an existing deck (12x14 and about 4 ft off the ground) refurbished. Deck boards and railings will be removed and replaced. This existing deck has posts set in concrete out in the yard for the end farthest from the house. The side that is closest to the house is attached directly to the house with a header board. I'm imagining that I do not need a permit for this part of the project.

2. I'm having a new deck built to extend the size of the existing deck. It will extend farther along the house, not farther out into the yard. This deck will be about 14x14 in size and will also be about 4 ft off the ground. The contractor would like to support the deck with posts at all 4 corners and would not tie the new deck into the house for support. However, he said that he will tie the deck to the house in a few spots just for stability. The deck will be on top of an existing poured concrete patio. Instead of pouring new footings, the contractor would like to bolt the posts to the existing concrete slab.

3. I'm having a pergola built on top of the existing 12x14 deck. This pergola will be attached to the house at one side, and some posts attached to the existing deck on the other side.

Anyone venture to guess what parts, if any, of this job will need permits?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
The new deck construction, #2, will need to be permitted. And the inspector will want to ensure that the patio slab extends below frost depth since it will be serving as foundation for the structure.

I would not pull a permit for the railings and deckboards in #1. But while removing deck boards, I would surely take a hard look at the flashing where the ledger meets the house. So many are poorly flashed.
I would probably not pull a permit for the pergola, as you are not adding a roof load to the structure. But, again, the tie-in to the house should be considered carefully because of the opportunity to let water in. If you are adding lights, etc, to the pergola, an electric permit might be needed.

And, "at the inspector's discretion" (lovely phrase, isn't it?), if all this work is opened up while he is there, you may find he wants to look at all of it.
I had a deck roofed for a screen porch this year. Town of Cary inspector had the contractor fill in solid risers in the old steps to bring them up to code, even though they pre-existed the project. It was a small item and was done, but it was "discretionary" by the inspector.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The new deck construction, #2, will need to be permitted. And the inspector will want to ensure that the patio slab extends below frost depth since it will be serving as foundation for the structure.
Thanks Mike. I was afraid of that. What aspects of this piece of the project raise the red flag? Is it the size (14x14)? I can probably guess that the existing slab is not thick enough to go below frost depth -- it's probably only 4"-6" thick. I'm going to call Wake County this morning and see what they say.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Yep, local inspectors have lots of discretion. I've even seen them favor homeowners over contractors in terms of what they allow.

Two things about your plan that strike me as "hot buttons".
1.) Ledger attachments come under much scrutiny due to failures that have caused fatalities. Both the attachment methods used (bolts, not nails) and the pattern of fasteners will be scrutinized (even if existing). Also make sure you don't have a ledger attached to a cantilevered part of your house.
2.) Placing new supports on an existing concrete patio - I'm not sure this is good practice. You have no idea how the concrete slab was designed. I doubt it was placed to support point loads like a post. Typically inspectors want to inspect post holes for depth and size before any concrete is poured. You've sort of skipped that step.

I would not be bashful about calling the County and talking to them. We live in Durham County so I can't give you direct advice, but I've found the local inspectors helpful and worth talking to. At least in Durham, they really seem to want to help homeowners get it right the first time.

Good luck,

Frank

Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Thanks Mike. I was afraid of that. What aspects of this piece of the project raise the red flag? Is it the size (14x14)? I can probably guess that the existing slab is not thick enough to go below frost depth -- it's probably only 4"-6" thick. I'm going to call Wake County this morning and see what they say.
I think you would need to permit it regardless of the size.
It is an addition to the building.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
I'm reviving the thread too - I bought a house with a strangely cantilevered deck that was cantilevered waaaay beyond code. Someone called it ... a diving board. Just today someone put in support posts at the far two corners, taking away my diving board. The guy who did it said no concrete needed to be poured so it didn't need a permit? Is that true? What's done is done but I hope it was done as it should have been.

The existing deck railings have no pickets. I was going to just do this myself (it's a small deck, low to the ground). Do I need a permit for that? Currently it has two horizontal railings.

Thanks! This is Durham county.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm reviving the thread too - I bought a house with a strangely cantilevered deck that was cantilevered waaaay beyond code. Someone called it ... a diving board. Just today someone put in support posts at the far two corners, taking away my diving board. The guy who did it said no concrete needed to be poured so it didn't need a permit? Is that true? What's done is done but I hope it was done as it should have been.

The existing deck railings have no pickets. I was going to just do this myself (it's a small deck, low to the ground). Do I need a permit for that? Currently it has two horizontal railings.

Thanks! This is Durham county.
So the logic here being if you don't build it to code, then no need to pull a permit?

http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cb/ccid/Documents/deck_faq.pdf

First page in Appendix M shows footers under posts.

Railings shown too - Min height of railing 36". Required when at 30" above grade. Be careful of any gaps you leave, children have injured sticking their heads through the pickets and inspectors will check that.

I'll repeat my comments earlier that I've found the Durham Co inspectors helpful - specially when dealing with homeowners directly. I agree that they're not perfect, or 100% consistent. But this is pretty straightforward stuff.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary