U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,118,360 times

Advertisements

Friday I wore the same American flag pin I put on that terrible day when I had to go into work. I was the only one where I am now that had anything partiotic on. A few people commented on the pin and how nice it was that I remembered. I know we all have busy lives but if I can remember I would hope others would too.

teeball, our old vet had a sister that worked in one of the towers. They were all there except one working late the night before so they decided to come in a little late that day. They were all just starting to come to work when it happened. They did lose their receptionist who went in to catch any calls. Our vet told us when it came time to relocate the company, they would only rent in a building where they could be on the first three floors. And how it stayed with them and they would practice time after time evacuation plans. I just can't imagine how hard it has been for those that were there. Not to mention the victim's families. I hope we never ever see anything like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM

123 posts, read 182,719 times
I agree that not much was done and I was disappointed. This is my second 9/11 down here and I will never forget trying to teach on LI when children in my school were being spoken to because their parents were city firemen, cops, etc. The school I teach in down here never mentioned it either. I am happy that my son's high school did have a moment of silence.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM

8,197 posts, read 10,833,315 times
I saw a fair amount of coverage--you surely cannot expect there to be the same amount devoted to it outside of NYC as there is there, where it was not only a "national" but "local".

Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

25 posts, read 53,189 times
Coming into work this 9/11 I scanned all the radio stations and heard nothing of it. I had to watch the ceremony on WRAL. I understand that living in NY at the time and knowing people who lost their lives had more of an impact on me then others that were not affected in the same way. However, it was a great loss not just for NY'ers but for our nation and it certainly deserved recognithion.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:48 PM

7,714 posts, read 10,533,290 times
I believe many of us think about 9-11 several times a month..and will forever.

But there has to be a point when people are allowed to feel some type of healing and "patriotism" is not put on display, recognized, or PROVEN by the fact one publicly acknowledges 9-11.

Personally I am tired of the "YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US" ultimatum.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 09-13-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,439,382 times
I always wondered why we never made 9/11 a national holiday. I know the critics said, "then the terrorists would win", but I think it will just be blip on the radar for future generations if we don't bring more attention to the attacks. Oh well...

Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM

226 posts, read 486,309 times
Actually, September 11 is now known as "Patriot Day", however you can't really say that makes it a national holiday. I agree that there should be more recognition.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,230,015 times
It wasn't just New York. It was also DC and Penn. It was also a really big deal in Boston since the plane had a connection through Logan Airport. I felt like I should have remembered more. Just before 9:00 AM I was getting ready to bring my daugher to preschool. It would be nice to see all the schools have a moment of silence on 9/11.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,638,450 times
My disappointment was not as a former New Yorker but rather as someone who lived through one of the worst days of my life and one that still defines me in many ways.

All of us who lived through that day be it in New York, Washington DC, Shanksville or anywhere else in the world and endured the horror could not possibly have forgotten (nor should they). My point was that it shouldn't be marginalized into a news blurb. It deserves the two hours each September 11th so that we can make sure we don't forget.

And I'm all for making 9/11 a national holiday during which all American terrorist victims are remembered (e.g. Oklahoma City, Lockerbie, etc.). I also reject the notion that by doing so extends some sort of victory to the terrorists who perpetrate such atrocities; remembering the innocent who died is the best way to ensure that future generations remain ever vigilant.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,816,057 times
I don't know. The impact obviously was much greater in in New York and DC/Virginia and Pennsylvania, not North Carolina, so there is much more attention paid there. But this is America, and as a nation we don't tend to dwell on things like that. For the vast majority of people, December 7 is just another day; days of great national sorrow (pick many during the Civil War) pass without notice, and days of great national excitement (V-E Day, V-J Day) pass without much recognition. That's just the nature of life in these here United States. Personally, I think it's healthy. I'm not surprised that here in the Triangle the day passed without too much notice.

There's a big difference between "never forgetting" and holding ceremonies to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary