Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:41 PM

18 posts, read 87,545 times

Advertisements

My experience with Cary-my brother and his family lived there for about 20 years until last year when he took a job in Arizona. He was laid off from Nortel and could not find another job in the area. As far as living in Cary-they LOVED it and so desperately want to go back.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM

60 posts, read 303,061 times
Seems like everyone here has worked at Nortel or IBM at some point, and was laid off or had a friend laid off. About half of my department at my current job is ex Nortel employees. They had no trouble finding another job...finding one that paid as much as Nortel maybe, but there are plenty of other jobs around here.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:33 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,552,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Thanks Debbie, I actually found a nice place in Holly Springs that also charges $9 for the nail clip. And it's a much better vet than the one in Cary.
Going to get my dogs nails clipped tomorrow. Glad you found a more reasonable place.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,221 times
Cary, (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) just plain sucks. I lived there for 4 yrs and neighbors drove me crazy - moved to Raleigh. Overpriced McMansions on tiny lots with HOA's, ridiculous regs., snobs. Neighbors seem to be in everybody's business and all jealous of each other. Developers and builders will put a house anywhere, no respect for history. Many homes on lots that never should have been built on. Preston was built on a swamp, filled in, I've seen many foundation problems in Preston and ground water. Developers build with so little respect for the land - drainage probs, retention basins = mosquitoes. No character like it used to have. Every intersection is just another strip mall, Anywhere, USA. Traffic is horrible, bunch of clowns running the town. School situation is bad. We were so fed up we went private schools at 12k ea for 2kids. Some folks live there just so they can say they live in Cary - I've even had folks living in Apex, Holly Springs corect me even thought they don't have a Cary addy; "Oh, no I do live in Cary". Some real dorks living over there, maybe it's the tech effect.
NC people are great, polite, friendly. It seems to be the northern transplants that just don't quite fit the southern town, NY, NJ - What's with these people?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM

134 posts, read 548,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenoversoul View Post
Cary, (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) just plain sucks. I lived there for 4 yrs and neighbors drove me crazy - moved to Raleigh. Overpriced McMansions on tiny lots with HOA's, ridiculous regs., snobs. Neighbors seem to be in everybody's business and all jealous of each other. Developers and builders will put a house anywhere, no respect for history. Many homes on lots that never should have been built on. Preston was built on a swamp, filled in, I've seen many foundation problems in Preston and ground water. Developers build with so little respect for the land - drainage probs, retention basins = mosquitoes. No character like it used to have. Every intersection is just another strip mall, Anywhere, USA. Traffic is horrible, bunch of clowns running the town. School situation is bad. We were so fed up we went private schools at 12k ea for 2kids. Some folks live there just so they can say they live in Cary - I've even had folks living in Apex, Holly Springs corect me even thought they don't have a Cary addy; "Oh, no I do live in Cary". Some real dorks living over there, maybe it's the tech effect.
NC people are great, polite, friendly. It seems to be the northern transplants that just don't quite fit the southern town, NY, NJ - What's with these people?
Well well now... isnt that special. I moved from Wisconsin and would like to think that we are a very friendly family. We chose not to live in Cary as the traffic was too much for us. That is just our preference.

If people want to be hoity toity, let them be. We prefer people that are far more down to earth. And to jsut blame this all on northerners is a tad out of line. There are plenty of southerners like this as well. Heck.. we are all Americans last I checked. We dont need to seperate north from the south... unless you are still fighting that war of northern aggression. Sheeesh Why cant southerners accept people from other areas living with them? Again, we are all AMERICANS. (stepping off of soapbox)

Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 AM

842 posts, read 3,224,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenoversoul View Post
Yes...it definitely sounds like your neighbors were the ones with a bad attitude and hard to get along with.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
...We chose not to live in Cary as the traffic was too much for us...
I keep seeing this complaint over and over again. If I didn't live around here, I'd assume that Cary is some hellish city perpetually frozen in gridlock.
Where exactly is this bad traffic that everyone talks about?

The only place where traffic is legitimately a headache is Crossroads, where the commercial development outgrew the infrastructure, and fixes were made in an ad-hoc manner. But even here, Cary is fixing the problem (they just redid the US-1/Walnut St interchange, expanded Walnut Street to 6 lanes to Tryon Rd, and future plans of adding a way to access US-1 southbound from Crossroads). And at the worst, it adds about 5 minutes of time for you to get to the stores.

I-40? That's not under the town's control, and nearly all of I-40 through the entire triangle is a problem.

US-1? Just expanded to 8 lanes (with the town's money because NCDOT didn't have the money for it), and traffic is barely a problem anymore.

Harrison Blvd? They just expanded it to 4 lanes divided, and is no longer a problem.

NC-55? They just expanded it to 4 lanes divided, and is no longer a problem.

Davis Drive? They just expanded the southern section to 4 lanes divided, and the northern section is currently being expanded.

Tryon Rd? Currently being expanded to 4 lanes divided.

Cary growth has exploded, and IMHO they've done an outstanding job at preventing and fixing traffic congestion. Roads like Cary Pkwy, Maynard Rd, Harrison Blvd, NC-55, Highhouse Rd, etc... make Cary a drivers paradise. All areas of congestion are either already fixed, currently being fixed, or have plans in place to fix in the next few years. Cary is doing a fantastic job at keeping up with growth. That can't be said for other areas of the triangle where no plans for fixing congestion are even planned (e.g. Capital Blvd, Glenwood Ave, US-401 south of Raleigh, Wake Forest Rd, Six Forks Rd, etc...)

Also, let me restate that I live in Holly Springs, not Cary, so I'm not just saying this because I live there.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM

134 posts, read 548,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Yes...it definitely sounds like your neighbors were the ones with a bad attitude and hard to get along with.
Was that sarcasm I detected?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:27 AM

653 posts, read 2,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I keep seeing this complaint over and over again. If I didn't live around here, I'd assume that Cary is some hellish city perpetually frozen in gridlock.
Where exactly is this bad traffic that everyone talks about?
Excellent post regarding Cary traffic - three years ago, when we were considering moving to Cary, the congestion at rush hour was a turn off. Well, that, and making u-turns everywhere we went because we kept getting lost.

Now, even though the area has grown since then, the traffic has improved. When 540 opens to hwy 55, it should get even better. If you haven't driven in Cary in a while, it's not what you remember!

With regards to the strict "regulations" and the "beigeness" - those are the reasons people move to Cary in droves, and also the reasons people bash Cary (see above). It's personal preference. If it doesn't appeal to you, there are other great areas in the Triangle that will.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Was that sarcasm I detected?
Maybe

But holdenoversoul has a point. Why are all Notherners snobbish dorks? Why can't they be friendly, respectful, and non-judgmental like us Southerners? Stupid Northerners...they're all jerks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary