Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 286,189 times

Advertisements

Anyone living in Cary? Can you tell me if you like it. Is it a nice place to live? How is the weather? Is housing affordable? Are there things to do? About how far is Cary from The Outer Banks? What kind of insects are in NC?? Are there jobs available in Cary or surrounding cities??
Any help and info would be great!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabell
Anyone living in Cary? Can you tell me if you like it. Is it a nice place to live? How is the weather? Is housing affordable? Are there things to do? About how far is Cary from The Outer Banks? What kind of insects are in NC?? Are there jobs available in Cary or surrounding cities??

The only question I can answer is Cary is at least 3 hours if not more from the outer banks

Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabell

From my research, Cary is suppose to be nice. Affordable, that is a question only you can answer depending on what you want to spend. I understand because it is a desirable area, prices are climbing. Insects, I do not know. Heard there are bugs from reading through other threads..jobs, do a search on any of the major engines for your profession, that is the only way to really know..

Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
I can answer some of your questions as I used to live in Cary and live in Apex now (one town over).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I used to live in Cary but live in Apex now. I enjoyed living there, but it's getting more and more crowded. There isn't much crime and the weather is nice. Housing is somewhat affordable but getting costlier by the minute. The schooling situation is a nightmare due to overcrowding, and there was just a blurb on the news this morning about how they are considering converting 30 more elementary schools to year round. I am guessing within 5 years most, if not all of the Wake County schools will be on a year round schedule.

I would say it's about 4 hours to the Outer Banks from Cary. Yes there are lots of things to do with families, and there should be jobs available (although the job market has slowed a lot in recent years). There are lots of bugs and insects here. The mosquito situation is insane in the summertime.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Weather quality is in the eye of the beholder, but the average temps for the Raleigh metro area where Cary is located are:

JAN
High 49.8F
Low 29.6F

APR
High 71.8F
Low 46.4F

JUL
High 89.1F
Low 68.5F

OCT
High 71.8F
Low 48.2F

Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Cary, NC was just ranked 5th best place to live by Money magazine, but these lists are different with each magazine and website.

1. Fort Collins, CO
2. Naperville, IL
3. Sugar Land, TX
4. Columbia/Ellicott City, MD
5. Cary, NC
6. Overland Park, KS
7. Scottsdale, AZ
8. Boise, ID
9. Fairfield, CT
10. Eden Prairie, MN

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...x.html?cnn=yes

Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 PM

29 posts, read 286,189 times
shaylahc, Thanks for the info. Do you like living in Apex better? Are NC people friendly? what kind of bugs and insects are we talking about?? If you could move somewhere else where would it be? or would stay in NC?

Tinabell

Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Well I also used to live in Cary and now live in Apex. Cary is.... overrated. You can have the same quality of life, same weather, and at a MUCH cheaper price in Apex or any other of the surrounding towns. I'm moving to NY soon (just looked at some houses last week, very excited about one) to be near family, but definitely like living in Apex better than Cary.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Well I also used to live in Cary and now live in Apex. Cary is.... overrated. You can have the same quality of life, same weather, and at a MUCH cheaper price in Apex or any other of the surrounding towns. I'm moving to NY soon (just looked at some houses last week, very excited about one) to be near family, but definitely like living in Apex better than Cary.
I agree!

When we first moved to Cary in 1998 Cary was relatively un-congested. It seems every year it gets more and more crowded. The population has doubled in just 8 short years and keeps growing every day. I find Apex to be a bit more laid back than Cary----Cary seems more "anal" about appearances, and I've noticed a huge problem with cops who seem to have nothing to do but set up speed traps. I have never driven in to Cary, ever, without seeing a cop They have very little crime, and at times it feels like you are being harassed! But I digress.....

The thing about Apex is that it is getting built up much like Cary was. The overflow is spilling in to Apex from Cary. We moved to Apex in 2001 and it still felt "small townish" then. Now there is a Target and a movie theater, retail establishments popping up everywhere, as well as subdivisions. It's starting to feel a like a "Cary, Part 2"

We are looking to relocate to the Charlotte/Union county area, mostly looking for housing with more land (that costs less) and to be closer to the mountains.

ETA people are about as friendly here as they are anywhere, considering that the majority of people who live here are relocated from other areas. As far as bugs, there isn't much a good exterminator couldn't take care of LOL except for the mosquitos which I hate! I swear I celebrate after the first frost when all the mosquitos die LOL. But in the summer they are horrible!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 PM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc
Cary seems more "anal" about appearances, and I've noticed a huge problem with cops who seem to have nothing to do but set up speed traps. I have never driven in to Cary, ever, without seeing a cop They have very little crime, and at times it feels like you are being harassed!
This is the reason why they have very little crime. Low crime rates usually don't come from not caring what your city looks like and having little police presence. I certainly would not complain if I saw a cop every time I was out in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary