U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM

5,519 posts, read 16,009,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
You could go to Mt. Airy and Pilot Mountain and see the real Mayberry.

Mount Airy Bed and Breakfast Hotels, Mount Airy, North Carolina Inns - Bed and Breakfasts Online
Mt Airy is certainly an option. That is only 2.5 hours away. We went camping at Pilot Mountain last fall and had a very nice time hiking there. I'll check my guidebooks to see if there are any other trails in the area that we did not do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Another good option is the Charlottesville, VA area - about 4 hours. One nice place there is the Silver Thatch Inn B&B.
Sorry. 4 hours is farther than we want to drive.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Closer to home a very nice B&B is Laurel Ridge in Siler City.

North Carolina Bed and Breakfast, Bed and Breakfast Raleigh NC, Siler City Hotel
Siler City is nice and close. What hiking options are there? I checked one of my NC hiking guidebooks and didn't see any recommended hiking spots nearby.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

10,479 posts, read 20,382,672 times
You could try The Pinehurst Hotel in Pinehurst. While it's certainly a golfing town, there are other things there; lots of lakes in the area, the "Village of Pinehurst" is a quaint little town, Seagrove is not far away for pottery shopping, and the Asheboro Zoo could be another easy trip. The Pinehurst Hotel itself is one of those big old hotels that always reminds me of The Shining.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I would stay in downtown Blowing Rock. Check out the Hemlock Inn. You can actually go on a very nice hike with multiple waterfalls from right downtown. It takes me 2.5-3 hours from RTP when I leave at 4pm to get there. Easy drive I-40 to 421 into Boone, then on around to BR. Blue Ridge Parkway goes right by there and the wonderful Tanawha Trail is in that section (I especially like the section starting at the Viaduct and following the Parkway North). A couple of good loop hikes, too, around Julian Price (around the lake (super easy) and the Boone Fork trail (longer, moderate)). Grandfather Mountain also has excellent trails, but you'll need to either pay and go into the park, or buy a trail pass for trails that leave from other points.

Blowing Rock is very charming. Some good food (Mellow Mushroom is very filling if you've been hiking all day. There are fancy places, too), lots of interesting shops.
Blowing Rock is another good suggestion. It would actually take us more like 3.5 hours to get there (we're 30 minutes east of RTP) but it might be worth it. We've been to Boone a few times before and to Jefferson once. Thank you for also providing a good list of hikes.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You could try The Pinehurst Hotel in Pinehurst. While it's certainly a golfing town, there are other things there; lots of lakes in the area, the "Village of Pinehurst" is a quaint little town, Seagrove is not far away for pottery shopping, and the Asheboro Zoo could be another easy trip. The Pinehurst Hotel itself is one of those big old hotels that always reminds me of The Shining.
Hmmm. Pottery shopping and the zoo isn't exactly what we had in mind. I do see that there is a Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve there in Southern Pines. Not many hikes listed for it though.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,922,172 times
What about any basic cabins/lodging for under $100 in the Blowing Rock/Linville area? The links provided look great, but after splurging on furniture that's more than we need or want to spend. Just a small cabin with a shower and king bed (dog allowed and wireless would be nice, but not a definite). Sorry for highjacking the thread. Didn't want to start a new one with one so similar and I already posted in the Western NC forum but it's so darn slow. Thanks!

NewUser, let us know what you end up doing. I am also maybe considering an overnight trip to Mt. Airy/Pilot Mountain if we decide against Blowing Rock.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Siler City is nice and close. What hiking options are there? I checked one of my NC hiking guidebooks and didn't see any recommended hiking spots nearby.
We got married at Celebrity Dairy in Siler City ( @The Inn at Celebrity Dairy - (919) 742-5176 -Chatham County, North Carolina ) and I know at one time they were talking about putting in some hiking paths. I'm not sure if they did, but you could call and ask.

I've also heard good things about hiking in the Uwharrie Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm - broken link)

These would be some B&B choices for that:
Mount Gilead Bed and Breakfast Hotels, Mount Gilead, North Carolina Inns - Bed and Breakfasts Online

Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 PM

8,116 posts, read 6,676,691 times
I'd second the Boone/Blowing Rock weekend.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
We got married at Celebrity Dairy in Siler City and I know at one time they were talking about putting in some hiking paths.

I've also heard good things about hiking in the Uwharrie Uwharrie NF Recreation Guide (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm - broken link)
A path around a hotel is a little tame. Now the Uwharrie is more like it. I see that they have a 7.2 mile hike (Birkhead Mountain Trail) that looks to be about our style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary