Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM

214 posts, read 701,708 times

Advertisements

Our GPS was called Cherie (with a French accent for some laughs)...Glen Laurel has tons of trees and more mature landscaping than most of the other developments we looked at. And the best part of the Rocking Comet Diner is that it is all non-smoking!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 PM

139 posts, read 550,530 times
If you want more trees I would check out some of the Flowers subdivisions. There are also a couple off of Guy Rd that I think have lots with a decent amount of trees.

I grew up on sweet tea-mom said she used to put it in our bottles when we were fussy-talk about tooth decay! Take it less and less sweet now-I don't even get the eye anymore when I ask oh so politely at the restaurants-Can I have half sweet/half unsweet?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
When going out I usually get water and sweet tea. Good to have water to tame the sugar in the tea if you need to.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 PM

112 posts, read 629,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
A lot of them have bare lots. That is a little boring. Maybe we're looking in the wrong area. Any suggestions? Also, any areas of Clayton with more wooded areas? Around Cleveland School I saw mostly bare lots also. I dream of a lot with a grassy area surrounded by a barrier of trees.

Thanks everyone for your comments. We are enjoying our time here so much, we hate to leave..

In Clayton...have you looked at the Taft Woods West development? That is a georgeous new subdivision that is totally wooded. Don't know your price range...but they are in the $300's. It's right off Motorcycle dr. in Clayton.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:33 AM

53 posts, read 281,199 times
Keep us posted on your travels with Darla! Can you send pictures too?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
Not particularly fond of the new subdivisions so far. The houses look okay, but I don't like the lack of trees. A lot of them have bare lots. That is a little boring.
Please please please please tell this to your realtor and especially any new subdivision sales offices you visit. The more they hear this, the more likely they will start leaving trees on the lots (though still not that likely).

Very glad you're enjoying your trip to NC. I'd love to visit CA one day!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
There is a gorgeus subdivision off of 42...take 70 to Guy Road and at the very end of Guy road, turn left. The subdivision is on the left, I can't think of the name of it to save my life. Its right next door to West Clayton Elementary.
Plenty of trees, built in the 90's, friendly people. Just drive through it, there are alot of houses for sale in that area.

I also second Guy Road.
There is one neighborhood at the end of Guy road, take a right onto 42 and its the first one on the left..skip that one. I was renting a house there for a few months. VERY LOUD NEIGHBORS. I heard the next street over is a bit more quieter, its across from the DMV.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Please please please please tell this to your realtor and especially any new subdivision sales offices you visit. The more they hear this, the more likely they will start leaving trees on the lots (though still not that likely).

Very glad you're enjoying your trip to NC. I'd love to visit CA one day!
I would have loved a treed lot, we had 26 oaks on our property growing up...now building on a lot with no trees...but the virgin land was all Pine Trees, so I am not terribly upset about it. I have been told you don't want those flimsy pine trees around the house during a wind storm or ice storms in the winter, they crack like toothpicks. If my budget allowed, I would have purchased in an established neighborhood, but the homes I found with/without a realtor were either out of my budget or needed tons of updating/repair...so...what's the trade off? No trees for me! I will plant flowering trees on the property come Fall. I will also research drought tolerant shrubs/hedges that stay green year round...

Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I will plant flowering trees on the property come Fall. I will also research drought tolerant shrubs/hedges that stay green year round...

Good ideas! I too would have liked mature trees but my price point was pretty limiting. I hate to see clear-cut developments, but in some cases there are no trees becasue the developed land was previously pasture land or row crops anyway. So I guess we can't always blame the developer!

One thing that gets under my skin is that so many complain about the lack of trees but unlike you nynraleigh, they don't take the initiative to plant some of their one once they buy the house and have control over the land they live on. When I was looking at houses this past summer I looked at several resales that were 5-10 years old and many had only what the developer had instastalled at the time of building , which usually menat one or two bradford pear trees. On the other hand I have driven through some other areas where people have planted a lot of nice trees and now their neighborhood has a lot more charachter and charm to it than it probably did 5-10 years ago.

I know we all don't have the cash to spend hundreds if nor thousands on landscaping, but a $30 tree or shrub bought at one of the big box stores when they offer discounts at the end of the season can go a long way to making your house a home over a couple of years. If everybody did just a little bit, many of these "barren" neighborhoods would look dramatically better in 5 years.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Good ideas! I too would have liked mature trees but my price point was pretty limiting. I hate to see clear-cut developments, but in some cases there are no trees becasue the developed land was previously pasture land or row crops anyway. So I guess we can't always blame the developer!

One thing that gets under my skin is that so many complain about the lack of trees but unlike you nynraleigh, they don't take the initiative to plant some of their one once they buy the house and have control over the land they live on. When I was looking at houses this past summer I looked at several resales that were 5-10 years old and many had only what the developer had instastalled at the time of building , which usually menat one or two bradford pear trees. On the other hand I have driven through some other areas where people have planted a lot of nice trees and now their neighborhood has a lot more charachter and charm to it than it probably did 5-10 years ago.

I know we all don't have the cash to spend hundreds if nor thousands on landscaping, but a $30 tree or shrub bought at one of the big box stores when they offer discounts at the end of the season can go a long way to making your house a home over a couple of years. If everybody did just a little bit, many of these "barren" neighborhoods would look dramatically better in 5 years.
Good post, NRG.
Come November the nurseries will be unloading inventory and there are some great deals on trees and shrubs.

I cut away a lot of junk trees from the house, but left some pines and hardwoods. I love the green pine needles against a perfect blue sky, and having something other than bare deciduous trees in the winter.

Unfortunately, quite often the builder is working with a lot that was timbered thirty or forty years ago and is covered with scrub brush and junk trees. It all looks green as a mass, but when you get into it the trees are stunted and bad specimens.
I see some pretty straggly stuff that is saved in "tree protection areas." The answer is to put the cash into some quality trees ASAP, so in 20 years they are well-established and growing fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary