Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,739 times

Advertisements

I recently found some gorgeous parts of Durham (having never really looked before...). Now I'm wondering...what else is out there I might have missed??

What do you all think about Hillsborough? What's it like? (I'm not interested in schools for the purpose of this question).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,191,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I recently found some gorgeous parts of Durham (having never really looked before...). Now I'm wondering...what else is out there I might have missed??

What do you all think about Hillsborough? What's it like? (I'm not interested in schools for the purpose of this question).

Thanks!

Maimouna,

We moved from Chapel Hill to Hillsborough and absolutely love the town. ( We liked Chapel Hill very much too)

Very much a small town where you get to know most everyone, nice little downtown with some really neat restaurants and shops. Town has an artsy flavor with authors and artists in abundance but not as hippie as Carrboro.

Come check out one of the Last Fridays if you want to get a flavor of the town. The last friday of every month they close down most of downtown, have live music, food, crafts and activities for the kids, an art walk. I went to the first one of the season last Friday with my kids and had a great time.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,739 times
Bluedevilz,
What time does that run on Fridays? Sounds like fun.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,191,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Bluedevilz,
What time does that run on Fridays? Sounds like fun.

It usually runs from about 5:30 to 8:30

You could also make a night of it by walking across the street to the Blue Bayou afterwards to hear live blues music. Its a great little club that attracts some really neat acts. My wife and I try to go once a month.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:31 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,572,902 times
I was there in March,loved the town.Hilly,small, and historic,nice old homes,winding streets,really cute "dowtown"..

Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM

238 posts, read 226,856 times
Where do people work if they live in Hillsborough? People who need outside jobs such as IT computer networking or teaching?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,902,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Where do people work if they live in Hillsborough? People who need outside jobs such as IT computer networking or teaching?
Hillsborough is an easy commute to Durham, Chapel Hill, or RTP. Some folks commute all the way to Raleigh (reverse commute) but that's a long drive. It's also a possibility for folks who are splitting between Raleigh and Greensboro, since it's roughly in the middle of those cities.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,641,499 times
I didn't see that many house rentals in Hillsborough. I did find an apartment complex w/ 3 brs. But there is a lot less rental inventory than Chapel Hill and Clayton (which is a good and a bad thing -- LOL)

Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,038,325 times
Well, there are fewer houses to rent because there are fewer houses. The population of Hillsborough was less than 6,000 back in 2000. Granted, that number is growing, but I hope it doesn't grow too much.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,641,499 times
I know the population is small. That's why it's good and bad Good because the town should stay nice and bad because there won't be many rentals for me to choose from.

Chapel Hill is my first pick. Hillsborough is my second pick. Clayton is my 3rd pick. After the research I've done I'm looking for housing outside of Wake county. Clayton has the most inventory of houses and the best prices. And the schools are supposed to be good. It may be a little rural for my liking. Hence the reason for my 1st and 2nd pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary