Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

I know you can find them at the local nurseries but I am curious to hear the opinion of people with first hand experience of growing them in their landscape. How do the hold up in our climate? How long are they in bloom? Any problems with Japanese Beetles?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
My neighbors have some and they seem to thrive here from what I can see. I want to plant some as well.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Mine have not done well at all, it's still hanging in there (hasn't died yet) but it looks pretty pathetic. I'm thinking that they really might need full sun and mine are not getting enough. I may dig it up this week and move it and see if it does any better in another spot. I've not noticed a significant problem with Japanese beetles, but it is also in a location with some regular roses, so perhaps they prefer the regular roses over the knock outs.

Last edited by lamishra; 09-19-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Anything has to be better than regular roses - I inherited some from the previous owners and what a pain! I broke down and used both a spray and a systemic pesticide/fungicide, and they still lost most their leaves to blackspot. I shy away from roses because they are high maintenance, so I think these will go once I get trees planted.

My sister says that knockout roses are great though - so I think it's worth a shot. Oh, and there are some planted around my office building in Durham. They seem to be doing very well.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,348 times
I have a red double knockout and it does great! Blooms from spring to fall with little care, and the japanese beetles seem to leave it alone. Very easy and pretty.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Mine have not done well at all, it's still hanging in there (hasn't died yet) but it looks pretty pathetic. I'm thinking that they really might need full sun and mine are not getting enough. I may dig it up this week and move it and see if it does any better in another spot.
I think you're on to something. My neighbor's yard has full sun. Not much lasts there, but the Knockout Roses seem to be doing great.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,707 times
I have had knock-out roses and really like them. They are easier than reguar roses, and can be low maintenance in the right area. I have some that I barely trim back toward the back of our property and they are still blooming and are around 5 - 6 feet high.

The ones in the front of our home and around the patio I like to keep lower and fuller (2' max) so I regularly dead head them and cut them back. They do look great though!

Beetles -We had a LOT of Japanese beetles this year so I sprayed them SEVERAL times. We also have crepe myrtles near them so it could have been a combination of the plants that attracted so many.

Water - I also took them OFF our drip irrigation. They do not like a lot of water and they do NOT like to be watered by sprinklers, roots only.

Deer - One thing I was surprised by was that deer were eating the new shoots! I had no idea that deer liked roses, but apparently our neighborhood herd does.

I guess if you have a spot that will not be hit by sprinklers and deer and you are willing to deadhead/trim as needed and spray or use Sevin powder on your roses they are a great choice!

Encore azaleas (Encore can bloom up to 3 or so times a year) are excellent, a lot less maintenance, no beetles, no deer, but not as showy. You can also get them in different height potential and a lot more variety of color blooms.

Hope that helps! Happy gardening!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
can't go wrong with knock out roses or encore azaleas. All roses do better in full sun and Most azaleas like some shade. And don't believe anybody who says deer won't eat cone flower, roses, etc. if they are hungry enough, they will eat anything.... ..especially new tender growth. And it is best to water Everything at the roots instead of overhead. If you have to water overhead be sure to never let ANYTHING-especially grass...got to bed with wet leaves. This encourages fungus and other diseases. So set your timers for say 4 or 5 a.m. and you should be OK.
Knock Out Roses have set the horticultural world on fire truly. See how many commercial establishments use them? They wouldn't be planting anything that wasn't proven to be disease and insect resistant.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 PM

393 posts, read 673,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I know you can find them at the local nurseries but I am curious to hear the opinion of people with first hand experience of growing them in their landscape. How do the hold up in our climate? How long are they in bloom? Any problems with Japanese Beetles?

Thanks!
They are EXCELLENT. I say go for it.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
I just saw in the sales paper that Lowes has Knock Out roses 2 for 10 bucks through Monday. But please save some for me in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary