Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ready now homes, furnished options in Clayton, North Carolina, Cobblestone, North Farm, Riverwood neighborhoods, Anderson model homes and upgrades

Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 AM

85 posts, read 334,244 times

Advertisements

We are closing on our place in mid-july and are coming down to visit on the May 24th for job intereview and to look at houses. We are going to checkout Cobblestone, north farm, and riverwood, and some others. Some of these developments have "ready now homes", as an option ot waiting while something is built. Not sure whether to have one built and try to find a rental either moving all of our stuff twice, or getting a furnished and putting stuff in storage while something was built? Or trying to just get a "ready now house" and move once? I have a 3-year-old and a 4-month old. Do these houses generally have any of the upgrades you can opt for? Does anyone know are they model houses, or just one that are built and ready for move in? Thanks for any information I am going crazy trying to think of how were are going to do so much looking around in 3-4 days with 2 kids!
Emme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 AM

281 posts, read 1,108,301 times
you should get a "Good" Realtor to help you with these questions. In short, ready now, you will not get to pick your options, also, there should be a lot of re-sales available, unless you def. want new...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Hi!
Wow, I was in your situation a few months ago!

I actually live in Clayton, at the Anderson homes in Cobblestone. I first visited KB Homes, since I had plenty of time to do a "build to buy". Its nice. The models are gorgeus. BUT. If you ask about how much in "upgrades" are in those model homes, one sales person will pretty much shun you, the other will pipe up with a 'around $50,000". I did a quick price estimate and left.

We stopped through Anderson homes on a whim. Walked through the model, fell in love with it. The sales person (Caryle) told us that it would be for sale in a few months. She also told us to walk through three other "Taylor" models. The last one we walked through, we fell in love with. Everything that would be considered an "upgrade" in most places, is considered "standard" at Anderson (keep that in mind!) That house, had everything we wanted. It was perfect! We started immediately on the paperwork and moved in a few weeks later.
I think the person who originally did a "build to buy" backed out at the last moment, and two other contracts fell through. (To our luck!)
So, it depends. You can do a build to buy or like we did, walk through a house and just fall in love with it. They are building a new model home in Anderson, I've been watching it be built from my backdoor and it's GORGEUS. Next door to it, there is another house (one floor plan up from the Taylor, not sure the name of it) that my friends walked through and they said it was beautiful. Behind my house, there are several open lots but they are going fast.
Definately, shop around! If you have any questions about Cobblestone/Anderson, feel free to PM me at anytime, I will be more than happy to help! I posted some pictures of the houses on here, just do a search for ferrickhead28.

Now, for the kids...
There is an hourly drop off center in the Walmart shopping center. Its called "Screaming Mimi's". Believe me, your kids will have a BLAST!

http://www.screaminmimiskidsplace.com/

It will also ease up on restless kids while you are trying to house shop!
Give them a call in advance, they might require doctor records, etc.

Hope that helps!
Heather

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emme313 View Post
We are closing on our place in mid-july and are coming down to visit on the May 24th for job intereview and to look at houses. We are going to checkout Cobblestone, north farm, and riverwood, and some others. Some of these developments have "ready now homes", as an option ot waiting while something is built. Not sure whether to have one built and try to find a rental either moving all of our stuff twice, or getting a furnished and putting stuff in storage while something was built? Or trying to just get a "ready now house" and move once? I have a 3-year-old and a 4-month old. Do these houses generally have any of the upgrades you can opt for? Does anyone know are they model houses, or just one that are built and ready for move in? Thanks for any information I am going crazy trying to think of how were are going to do so much looking around in 3-4 days with 2 kids!
Emme
Basically, in new developments builders are allowed to build and have ready a certain number of spec homes. In custom neighborhoods, usually builders can only have two houses going at once, and once one sells, they can move and build on the other lots they have in the neighborhood. Generally the homes have all of the standards and some upgrades, but it all depends on the builder! I have purchased 3 spec homes and have been quite happy with them. The downside is you don't get to pick and choose your own things, (like cabinets in the kitchen, countertops, etc) the spec houses tend to be a little on the "bland" end in that they are trying to please a wide spectrum of people.

Also, in this area, many builders will put up "parade" homes, because we have the parade of homes in october. Those houses have tons of extra and amazing features because they are trying to win awards for the way the homes are built and decorated. I had clients buy a home (at framing stage) that was already planned to be a parade home. They ended up getting many extras (flat panel tv, tons of extra wiring, surround sound, intercom system, extra landscaping) that if they had added themselves it would have been a much more expensive home.

So, if you can find a spec home (or home ready now) that you like, it is a great opportunity. Often you agent can get you a deal on those homes because they are ready to move them.

Leigh

Old 05-03-2007, 07:30 PM

85 posts, read 334,244 times
Great information about cobblestone, and thank I will Keep "screaming Mimi's" in mind!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Yes, you can get a deal sometimes on those houses-we were looking in Danforth last year and loved the 'remaining inventory' house we saw...the salesperson then asked us if we would be even more interested if they took $30,000 off the price!

The only thing that stopped me from saying OH YEAH was the fact that our jobs hadn't (and haven't) transferred yet. It was a deal, with all kinds of upgrades and stuff. I'd be willing to buy a finished house, if I liked the features of it.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
I'd buy an inventory house if I liked it and it fit most my needs. With 2 kids myself, I'd avoid moving twice at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary