Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:12 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,656 times

Advertisements

I would really like to have a KOI pond built, but I was wondering if you can do that in NC??? Do the KOI freeze??? I have never lived in a cold climate, and as I was thinking of my future pond in my head, I pictures the water freezing and the little KOI dying. I am sure you have koi ponds there, do you guys use heaters in the water or something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
Sure!
They do have heat pumps you can put in the water. Check out petsmart or even fish pros in Raleigh, they have all the stuff you need for a Koi pond.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 51,246 times
We actually have quite a large pond (3000 gallons) and for the winter (in the Chicago area to give you an idea of the coldness factor), we would put a small electric water heater in to keep the ice from totally freezing over. That allows enough oxigen to get in for the KOI.

The KOI completely slow down in the cold and don't need to be fed during that time. In fact, if you feed them, they can't digest it fully and it can actually really hurt them.

We love the pond and the sound of the water fall...and the KOI are very fun to watch too. Just beware of KOI thiefs! (Blue Heron, Racoons, etc.)!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times
How interesting! We have had a very old very large alligator snapping turtle appear in the past couple months from the pond out back. This is a decent sized pond although I don't know how many gallons etc. But it probably has about 15 homes around it each on a .38 sized lot or larger. My boys told me today there was a baby cotton mouth on the banks. I would imagine the comment about Koi thieves to be a real concern based on all the different types of critters we have seen around here!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,735 times
We live in Missouri, zone 5, and have had a small pond about 700 gallons for about 6 years now. I had Koi that range from about 22 -24 (5) inches, to 4 - 6 (5) inches. I have a stock tank heater that I use in the winter to keep a hole in the ice so that the gases that build up can escape. With the heavy load that my pond was carrying, if I didn't use the pond pump they would have died within a week. I also left the pump running all winter for aeration just unhooked it from the waterfall. If you need anymore info I would be glad to help... just pm me.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
We have a pond, and herons and raccoons frequent it for a fish snack.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:00 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,735 times
I hear that herons are territorial birds and will not land if they see another. That is why the big copper fake herons are so popular right now. We do the catch and release on the raccoons... it is a never ending battle in the country... I will have to say that they never messed with the 22 inch koi though... LOL... I think they could hold their own. I am surprised that I never came out to find a raccoon drown in the pond!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,656 times
Thanks ibcwife, and autumgal.
I have decided against doing it right now. I am busy trying to take care of my crazy dogs, I don't need anymore distraction.

But someday I will have a pretty pond that I can keep koi in.

Liz

Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Thanks ibcwife, and autumgal.
I have decided against doing it right now. I am busy trying to take care of my crazy dogs, I don't need anymore distraction.

But someday I will have a pretty pond that I can keep koi in.

Liz
Koi ponds! Raised Gardens! This is some palatial estate you have going on Lizardlips! Please remember to invite all us citi-data common-folk over when you take High Tea with the Queen later this summer! I am guessing the dogs you speak of are Welsh Corgis or british bulldogs perhaps? LOL Just kidding! I think a Koi pond would be very nice. It sounds like you have some very cool plans for your new yard. I am jealous!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,345 times
Our neighbor has a koi pond without a heater. They told her she'd need a heater or the fish would die over the winter...she didn't get around to doing the heater, and the fish are just fine! In fact, that was eight years ago (!). They have survived 8 winters here and not one has died.

I'm going to put in a koi pond as well. Love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary