Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM

16 posts, read 58,872 times

Advertisements

Alright,
I am thinking about moving to Wake County...
Trying to get a teaching job.
I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I am mostly worried about fitting in alright, being a "yankee" and all.
Is this going to be a problem?
And is there any music scene? (Jazz or marching band really) around the area?
Is there much to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessTeacher View Post
I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I am mostly worried about fitting in alright, being a "yankee" and all.
No, you would be 1 among thousands. There are tons of people in the Triangle from up North. Some have been here for 30 years others just moved here last week. This is pretty much a non-issue here in my opinion.

Quote:
Is there much to do?
Sure, what is it you are looking for? Good Music can be found in Downtown Raleigh and Durham as well as throughout the Triangle. Good Bar scene. Some have younger crowd, some older, some mixed. Lots of outdoor options, museums, art galleries, wine bars. Guess it depends on what you like to do.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,567 times
High schools for the marching bands... yoohoo! My son is a member of a drum & bugle corps; they travel and compete all over the country throughout the summer. PM me if you want to know more.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 PM

191 posts, read 235,908 times
Watch out, 'Teacher. A lot of the people who post here are Realtors. They aren't exactly impartial.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
Quote:
Alright,
And is there any music scene? (Jazz or marching band really) around the area?
As for Marching Band, my sister is in it at Apex HS and loves it. Her band is very active. Every year Cary HS band hosts "Cary Band Day" where marching bands come from all around, even some from other states, to march and compete. They have a parade in the morning in Cary that ends at the HS, and then all afternoon and into the night they have the competition. It's really fun!

I heard that a DCI event was coming to Durham next year, but in general we don't seem to have much in the way of DCI or DCA. The local drum corps shut down I think. I think there is one in Charlotte though and that they get DCI events there. If anyone knows of anything, I would love to hear about it. My sister and I are way into marching!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:55 PM

64 posts, read 251,124 times
If you come to visit Raleigh and want to grab some good food and listen to some jazz then go to Yancey's (http://www.yancysjazz.com/) (broken link). It is downtown n the new Fayetteville St. Mall area.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:57 PM

161 posts, read 558,903 times
Quote:
Alright,
So far everyone I have met here is a yankee! You should have no trouble fitting in!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:53 PM

112 posts, read 759,893 times
I've met more people that are transplants than natives here. A lot are Yankees. I'm a Yankee, but I came here from MA via FL. So I'm also a Half-Back.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:18 PM

56 posts, read 404,054 times
Any schools that are open to hiring a certified teacher, who also homeschools their child(ren)?

Thanks,
mshs2

Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM

360 posts, read 720,812 times
Raleigh's newspaper, The News & Observer, had an article a while back stating that 70% of Raleigh residents are from out of state. I am originally from the NorthEast and find it almost like the NorthEast, except a bit warmer. So basically, natives are by and large a minority here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary