Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Check this schedule so you know when things are happening at historic Williamsburg as far as the interactive events:
Revolutionary City Interactive Timeline - The Official Site of Colonial Williamsburg

I'd also have the kids do a little "homework" before they left, even if it's just finding answers on the Internet to these questions: What is historic Williamsburg? What time period does it represent? What important things happened at that time?

Make it like a game.

There is a lot of info in the Wikipedia entry:
Colonial Williamsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was born in Norfolk, and I visited Williamsburg in my early 20's. I told my mother that when I was there, I had an incredible number of "deja vu" moments, and it was really quite a bizarre feeling, considering I'd never been there before. It made me wonder about "past lives."

She informed me that as a baby and toddler, I'd been there multiple times when they took visiting friends and relatives there.

So I love Williamsburg. When I walk its streets, deeply ingrained memories come to the surface; it's like visiting "home."

Make sure you visit the Welcome Center first and watch the 1956 movie. It's part of the experience and will help the kids understand it.

I totally agree that you should go to Williamsburg first and THEN go to Busch Gardens. Our son was in high school when we took him and a friend to Busch Gardens. We enjoyed walking around by ourselves while the kids rode all the rides on their own.

If I went again, I'd probably check out VRBO.com -- vacation rentals by owner. This one looks interesting: http://www.vrbo.com/84582 (broken link) Or I would go to TripAdvisor.com to get reviews on hotels.

We ate at one of the Willilamsburg historical taverns, and I wasn't very impressed. I went because I love peanut soup. But it felt very touristy, rushed, and the food tasted institutional -- like it was fresh from the can. And we were seated in the basement. So I'd bypass those unless it was for a snack or something and look for better restaurants in town.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 09-23-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM

49 posts, read 125,065 times
I would suggest either on the way up or back to take the ferry that crosses from Jamestown to Surry Virginia. From there you can take some back roads over to 95 or 85. Your children will love it and you may even see a bald eagle!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM

477 posts, read 1,418,578 times
And if you take the ferry to Surry, make sure you stop at the Surrey House Restaurant for some Virginia Peanut soup!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

232 posts, read 1,030,739 times
I'd have to agree with other respondents, I wouldn't waste my time on Williamsburg. Its way overrated. Spend an extra day at Busch Gardens instead. Have fun!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I believe they are open most weekends. Go to Williamsburg first so that Busch Gardens is more of a treat and something to look forward to for your kids. I remember this is what we did and it worked out great.
We did just that way. My son's reaction was, "That wasn't as boring as I thought it would be."
A fun thing to include would be to ride the Scotland-Jamestown ferry on the return trip, even though it is out of the direct route home.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Count me as one who loves Williamsburg and Jamestown. Yes, there are tourist there (who else would be there...natives?) but it is more of a quiet tourist area than a flashy area. Once you buy your ticket, then you can wander into the shops and houses, hear the spiels, etc. It is a fun place to wander about, the back streets are very nice, animals and great gardens, you feel like you are back in time. My daughter went for a class field trip this year and they all loved it.
True, if what you are looking for is a flashy, crazy tourist site, then it is not for you. It can not even compare with Busch Gardens (how do you compare a restored town to an amusement park?). But they CW foundation has done a good job of restoring the area to how it looked then and outfitting the staff similarly. I strongly recommend taking your kids on one of the special tours, such as ghost tour, etc. Or renting the colonial outfits. It is all what you make it. Our family loves Williamsburg.
As others have said, Jamestown is great too. After we went to Williamsburg this year, my DD and I stayed over and went to Jamestown the next day. Know there are two "Jamestowns". THere is the National Park on the actual site and then Jamestown Festival Park, next door, which has more of a re-enactment, as well as the replicas of the three ships. We did both, but the park will only be interesting for a little while, but my DD loved the Festival Park..especially exploring the long huts and the boats.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
My experience with Williamsburg may be due to incorrect expectations from their advertising campaign: "Where history comes alive."

I expected a more immersive experience with cast members who played the roles of historic figures and did not step out of character. I experienced none of that. Costumed guides, yes. But nothing that suggested "live" history.

I expected more of the buildings to be actual historic structures. Too many of them were simply modern recreations of old buildings. There was a phoniness to much of it. Hard to feel a sense of history in a building constructed in the 1980s.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times
We love Williamsburg. I would stay at Kingsmill. It's a wonderful resort and they have packages that include tickets to the area attractions.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I expected more of the buildings to be actual historic structures. Too many of them were simply modern recreations of old buildings. There was a phoniness to much of it. Hard to feel a sense of history in a building constructed in the 1980s.
That's interesting to hear, because I went many times in the 1970s, and the whole "main quad" was authentic buildings, at least for the most part. I don't recall hearing of them being torn down and replaced. But, my frame of reference is likely out of date.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's interesting to hear, because I went many times in the 1970s, and the whole "main quad" was authentic buildings, at least for the most part. I don't recall hearing of them being torn down and replaced. But, my frame of reference is likely out of date.
There are a number of authentic buildings, but several of the bigger "tour" buildings are re-creations. The ones I remember particularly are the governor's house and the courthouse.

I did really enjoy the old church there that George Washington attended. That's the kind of place where I could feel the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary