Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

OK OK NO NEED TO SHOUT! Unlock the caps dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
OK OK NO NEED TO SHOUT! Unlock the caps dude.
Sorry man,I cant stand some one saying im making stuff up, when its backed up in press.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 AM

238 posts, read 227,961 times
Err. Okay. I talked to someone in Orange county who said the houses are evaluated every 4 years for tax increase, is that so?

I didn't realize that Cary has LOWER taxes than somewhere like Chapel Hill!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
HAVE SOME MORE FACTS FOR YOUR BASELESS QUOTES
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/wakepo...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
PLEASE SHOW ME THE LINKS TO BACK UP WHAT YOUR SAYING.
NC Man... I'm not sure I follow you.

From the link you provided above:

"That would even out property values, but it wouldn't necessarily raise any more money, as WakePol wrote in today's paper. That's because counties usually lower the tax rate after reassessments." (emphasis mine)

Now, if assessments go up 32% they may not lower the tax rate 32%, but they will very likely lower the tax rate significantly. Areas that appreciated significantly more than average since the last assessment will see taxes rise in total.

This has been the trend in Durham at least if you look at historical millage rates.

Let's all try to be civil in this and every thread, BTW.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Here's my source: www.newsobserver.com/167/story/444798.html (broken link) . I'd like to point out that the two sources quoted by you (NC Man) are not accredited news sources or held accountable to the rigors of same. They're free to say (and apparently often do) anything they wish.

And shouting in either the physical or digital world does not make you any more right. Offer a compelling counter point beyond a nebulous "it's been said" and I'll happily consider your point. However in looking up your various posts you seem to subscribe to the theory that Raleigh is going to hell in a hand basket due to the steady influx of transplants. I don't get your angst; are they all moving into your back yard?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Err. Okay. I talked to someone in Orange county who said the houses are evaluated every 4 years for tax increase, is that so?

Why would you be surprised that the Cary tax rate is lower than Chapel Hill??

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
You get what you pay for. The liberal communists in Chapel Hill have sufficient funds for schooling their children. Capitalist pigs in Wake, not so much.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

238 posts, read 227,961 times
I thought that Cary was the most expensive area in the Triangle. I know Chapel Hill has some very upscale areas, but so does Wake county--north Raleigh, etc.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
NC Man... I'm not sure I follow you.

From the link you provided above:

"That would even out property values, but it wouldn't necessarily raise any more money, as WakePol wrote in today's paper. That's because counties usually lower the tax rate after reassessments." (emphasis mine)

Now, if assessments go up 32% they may not lower the tax rate 32%, but they will very likely lower the tax rate significantly. Areas that appreciated significantly more than average since the last assessment will see taxes rise in total.

This has been the trend in Durham at least if you look at historical millage rates.

Let's all try to be civil in this and every thread, BTW.
Yes that is correct, in the past it was reduced after revalued, but the Blue ribbon comm has recommended that does not happen in 2008.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
I thought that Cary was the most expensive area in the Triangle. I know Chapel Hill has some very upscale areas, but so does Wake county--north Raleigh, etc.
Chapel Hill is more expensive and has the highest funded school system as well.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary