Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times

Advertisements

As the pp's noted, if you are in the city a lot, going to Broadway a lot, trying the newest restaurants, going to art openings... and concerts too, then, yes, you will be bored. If you do these things occasionally you will find plenty to do here. We have the Broadway series south, concert tours do come through, and we have good restaurants.
If you are mostly focused on your kids- soccer practice, going to BBQ's with friends, or if you like hiking or biking or kayaking... you will love it here.

This plac eis not NY lite. It is different. So Francois is right- you have to ask yourself what you do not like where you are. You may be better off in Putnam or Jersey or PA. Or maybe the Triangle is the place for you. I will tell you this- the people I have met who are unhappiest here are those who ran from a problem and landed here without being attracted to this area on its own merits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM

40 posts, read 133,898 times
Wow...all good feedback from people in the know. I too speak from life experience of both places and having just returned from a trip to Long Island....Wake County offers a more pleasant environment, easier improved quality of life with more conveniences (shopping/dining/amusement) when compared to say...Nassau/Suffolk County. What you may miss most in the summer is the easy access to beaches....down here Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach is an easy drive of about 2+ hours from Wake Forest my hometown (I highly recommend).

IMO...southerners are a bit more formal, more courteous, respectful of others at all times, don't particularly like sharp tongues & gossip and have experienced a tremendous influx of "Northerner's".... some highly educated and well mannered and some that at times can be brash and aggressive. Let's be honest people like the latter are not well received anywhere. Overall this is a charming area with nice weather and very good public education system that potentially offers a better quality of life....providing you are gainfully employed upon arrival. Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 50,949 times
My friend moved here (Cary) from Long Island a couple of years ago when I moved from Miami (although Canadian). My friend is the biggest advocate for Cary ever. My family loves it here. The schools are good overall, but the reshuffling does stink for some. There is lots for families to do here. We'd never go back to Miami.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
Thank you everyone for your help! As far as jobs I didnt ask because I am a stay at home mom. My husband on the other hand does know someone from his post office who transferred there. He said if you ever want to come to call him. My husband works for the post office. That's why we were thinking of Raleigh. I think I read about the gang thing on another website called Sperling's best places. There was some crazy lady on there who was just bashing North Carolina so I figured I would visit the website to get the truth so to speak. So all the questions I asked were because that crazy lady scared me!! I hope I did not offend anyone. I do apologize. My family and I are going to take a trip to check it out. I really do thank everyone for their advice it was very helpful!
Ria

Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
Moved here for LI in 05, love it. Live in Wake Forest, it reminds me of what LI looked like when I was my sons age of 16.
1st year would be the hardest [ missing friends and family ] but is passes.
Schools no problem, healthcare is great, much better than LI. We use the Duke network, love it. Gangs, very limited If you are moving to get away from NYer's than this is not the place, for some reason we are all here ? In my subdivsion I have many poeple for NY that lived just a few miles from where I lived. Work is work, at present jobs are hard to find. I would make several trips down here to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary