U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 29,537 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My eight years old Sony XBR Tv died this morning. It was working perfectly fine last night when I turned it off. However, when I tried to turn it on this morning it made this "click" sound but didn't turn on - there was no picture, no sound, or nothing. The red stand-by/timer light is flashing everytime I try to turn it on.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it? And any suggestions for a repair center with a home-service?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 PM

3,460 posts, read 6,436,608 times
My Sony died with similar symptoms. I used Consumer Electronic Service to repair it back in January and it's been going strong ever since!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM

2,108 posts, read 4,036,658 times
Mine too ... But it was ten years old and I needed an excuse to buy an HD set ...
My online search at the time turned up a fair number of power supply issues but ymmv

Frank

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Mine too ... But it was ten years old and I needed an excuse to buy an HD set ...
My online search at the time turned up a fair number of power supply issues but ymmv

Frank
I wasn't ready to make the switch to HD (need a HD Directivo to be released!) so I went with the repair. It was something with the power supply - a common Sony problem apparently (per the repair guy).

Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 29,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I wasn't ready to make the switch to HD (need a HD Directivo to be released!) so I went with the repair. It was something with the power supply - a common Sony problem apparently (per the repair guy).
Do you remember by chance how much you spent on the repair?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldatmaz View Post
Do you remember by chance how much you spent on the repair?
The total was $260 - it was $50 for the guy to come to the house to make a diagnosis, and then that was applied to the cost of the repair. He didn't carry my 150lb 34" TV back to the shop, but instead took the motherboard looking thing with him. He was back 2-3 days later with the repaired part, and it's worked fine ever since.

I debated with myself quite a bit on the "repair vs. replace" question. In the end I decided that I was quite happy with the Directv SD picture and I wasn't ready for the bother of switching to Directv HD, losing my Tivo, and figuring out where the heck the HD Directv dish could go (won't work where my SD dish is). I will likely switch to HD when U-Verse comes to my neighborhood, or whenever the HD Directivo is released.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,998 times
I love my sony trinitron, But like so many other,s ,it also would not come back on in the morning ,
it was working just fine last night .

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM

217 posts, read 417,302 times
I'm seeing this thread quite late, but for anyone who needs a recommendation for trinitron repair, I recommend Nick Cotroukis at Broadcast Consulting Services on Holly Springs Rd. in Cary. He's done repair work for me on a pro level (maintenance on a Sony Betacam videocamera/recorder), but he also does Sony certified repairs on "monitors" (TV sets). Good guy and reasonably priced if you have a beloved old TV you can't part with. phone 919 851 4056
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary