Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 AM

161 posts, read 559,053 times

Advertisements

I think it will vary widely, depending on the company, position, and available talent.

In my conversations with recruiters and companies, I could end up taking a pay cut that ranges anywhere from -10% to -40% of what I made in NY/NJ. I knew that coming here would mean a lower salary, but 40% is pretty steep. What is most frustrating to me is that whenever the salary discussion comes up, the very first words out of the employer/recruiter's mouth is "well, ya' know... the cost of living here is much lower". Perhaps, but not by 40%!

I too am curious about IBM layoffs. The on-line job boards are full of open positions for consultants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
None. Everything stayed the same. It was a lateral transfer.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM

71 posts, read 79,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
what is happening with IBM? are the jobs being offshored to India? be interesting to understand the impact on house prices if 1000's of white collar jobs disappear.
This broke the news a few days back I think. Basically IBM is going to axe 100,000-150,000 jobs this year, mostly in the USA, and mostly in their Global Services division (IGS).

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...fs_at_ibm.html

Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
My company offers a 20% pay difference in pay scale. However, if you're not part of the dept thats relocating the numbers could be higher. This is why I started seeking out other firms for job offers. I still have a NY car note and other bills. I won't take less $10,000 of what I'm making in NY. I don't care about the cost of living. If you know your value--do not deflate yourself too much. There are companies willing to pay for your expertise. It will take more time, but plan accordingly.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
+20% here from LI, NY and my Health Insurance out of pocket is 1/5 of what it was

Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
IBM/ Lenovo are notorious for major lay offs. I can't tell you how many people we've known who got jobs there only to be laid off within a few years.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
I took about a 5% cut in pay and benefits were not as good. I found that the savings in NC were nothing but smoke and mirrors too. All of the taxes we thought we would be saving really did not amount to much and the higher cost of everything else around here adds up.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
Where did you come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I took about a 5% cut in pay and benefits were not as good. I found that the savings in NC were nothing but smoke and mirrors too. All of the taxes we thought we would be saving really did not amount to much and the higher cost of everything else around here adds up.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
I found that the savings in NC were nothing but smoke and mirrors too. All of the taxes we thought we would be saving really did not amount to much and the higher cost of everything else around here adds up.
Just curious what savings were revealed to be "smoke and mirrors"? Also, what do you mean by "higher cost of everything else"? I understand things like groceries and clothing still cost about the same. But your post is the first one in which someone claimed that things may actually cost more. And where did you relocate from?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
Quote:
I found that the savings in NC were nothing but smoke and mirrors too. All of the taxes we thought we would be saving really did not amount to much and the higher cost of everything else around here adds up.
Really??? We moved from Northern VA. So sales tax and state income tax are higher in NC - no savings there.

But we save on pretty much everything else. If we bought the same age, size, style home in NC that we had in Northern VA, it might be $150k here. So the savings on housing costs are HUGE. Even groceries (which everyone else says are the same or higher in NC) we find cheaper in NC. Insurance is much cheaper. Car service is marginally cheaper. TV/Internet is cheaper. Going out to dinner is certainly cheaper. Clothing is about the same. So for us, almost everything except sales and income tax are cheaper in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary