U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM

478 posts, read 1,450,219 times

Advertisements

Isn't the Edwards family choosing home education during the campaign trail? Except for Maths, which apparently, neither parent feels competent enough to teach (hiring a tutor for Maths).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 PM

850 posts, read 2,233,708 times
Sweeping generalizations do not do anyone any good IMHO. Do some want to control their children, I suppose so. But in all my years of dealing with and being around homeschoolers (almost a decade now), the parents I've met all LOVE being with their children and homeschool for many reasons but mainly to allow them to develop their own love of learning at their own pace, in their own style.

I love the idea of homeschooling and wish I could have accomplished it for my children. But was never able to make it work for us.

Lauren

Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,829,728 times
I think the success depends largely on the ability of the people doing it. Some people are highly capable, and others think they are, but aren't. My brother homeschools and it is really sad b/c his kids are NOT getting a good education. Someone who worked for me was homeschooled...she got her GED and is very bright, but apparently her mom was not up to the job and got tired before teaching her other kids, so they ended up very poorly educated.

Some can do it, some can't. I just think there should be certain tests which should have to be passed. If you know what you're doing, this shouldn't be a problem....but for people who say they homeschool and do nothing, or people who aren't good at homeschooling, but think they are...they would be "caught" and then should have to send their kids to public school. In the state where my brother lives, there is NO TEST until high school for homeschooled children...by then it's just way too late!!

Kudos to those of you who can do it well. I just think that for the benefit of the children of those who really can't, there should be standards to satisfy. This would probably also reduce the negative response some people have toward it.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,705,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I think the success depends largely on the ability of the people doing it. Some people are highly capable, and others think they are, but aren't. My brother homeschools and it is really sad b/c his kids are NOT getting a good education. Someone who worked for me was homeschooled...she got her GED and is very bright, but apparently her mom was not up to the job and got tired before teaching her other kids, so they ended up very poorly educated.

Some can do it, some can't. I just think there should be certain tests which should have to be passed. If you know what you're doing, this shouldn't be a problem....but for people who say they homeschool and do nothing, or people who aren't good at homeschooling, but think they are...they would be "caught" and then should have to send their kids to public school. In the state where my brother lives, there is NO TEST until high school for homeschooled children...by then it's just way too late!!

Kudos to those of you who can do it well. I just think that for the benefit of the children of those who really can't, there should be standards to satisfy. This would probably also reduce the negative response some people have toward it.
Legal requirements of homeschooling families vary by state. In NC we are required to administer a yearly aptitude test (like an Iowa Test) to make sure the kids are keeping up with their peers.

I agree that not all parents are fit to educate their kids. On the other hand I have also seen some very poorly educated adults come out of the public school system. It happens on both sides.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM

850 posts, read 2,233,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I just think that for the benefit of the children of those who really can't, there should be standards to satisfy. This would probably also reduce the negative response some people have toward it.
There are standards in NC but it differs with each state. For one, an adult must have a HS diploma and children over the age of 7 are required to submit yearly standardized testing to measure their academic achievement, which is reviewed by the state in order to maintain their "homeschool status". NC in essence requires the parents to become a school and meet the same requirements as any other school; for instance attendance records must be kept, immunization, etc. I think one of the links I posted originally has the NC requirements. Maybe if more people knew this they could alert the authorities to any obvious concerns? Though I hesitate to even say this as I'd hate to see competent homeschoolers dragged into any red tape because of a neighborhood spat or something.

I do agree that we've all seen in the news the results of some "out there" homeschoolers who have neglected or abused their children. But by no means do I think that it is a true representation of the entire homeschool population.

Heck....sometimes I think people should need a license to parent but I know that would never work. Incompetent people span across all denominations, religions, belief systems and races....homeschoolers are no exception but they aren't the only category with incompetents.

Lauren

Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 PM

548 posts, read 1,829,728 times
Sounds like NC has reasonable standards then...I know where my brother lives, no one ever checks on them--they just have to submit an annual (or semi-annual?) statement saying they are still homeschooling. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it if the parents are capable of doing a good job (I know I wouldn't! .

Yeh, I agree w/you on the license to parent thing too

Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,401,908 times
I agree that not all parents are fit to educate their kids. On the other hand I have also seen some very poorly educated adults come out of the public school system. It happens on both sides.

How true!!! I was educated in the P.S. and had to work very hard to get my college degrees. I had a poor base and had to work hard to overcome what I was never taught in the p.s. I also think some want to keep their children safe from abuse in the ps, I was severly abused in the p.s. and my crys for help were never heard, I sought help at the counselors office only to be told to toughen up and get over it.

PS ruined my life, I know for others its great and its great for my child, she loves it! But for me, it was pure hell, but hsing would of never worked out either as I was abused at home too.

So if someone wants to protect their child from abuse, then by all means, they are doing what is loving and best for their child! the more power to them! If someone loves the P.S and it works for them, then sobeit! TO each their own! People need to stop judging here!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 AM

56 posts, read 327,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katc View Post
We are moving to the area and will be continuing to homeschool 3 of our 5 children. I briefly looked in the Catholic schools locally, but then compared the $1000 tuition for the accredited home program we use, and over $10,000 we would pay for a "perhaps Catholic" school, my decision was made. This will be our 5th year homeschooling and my kids are avid readers and score very high (99%) on standardized tests.
I am a certified teacher and decided 10 years ago that when I had children they would NOT go to public school. They are not social recluses and are involved in art class, riding lessons, Cub Scouts, CCD, Little Flowers girl's club, piano lessons, not to mention having lots of free time to play and be kids.
If you are interested, you could check out my blog at:
http://nofightingnobiting.blogspot.com

Please feel free to post a brief post about your blog and list in it in the links section on Dancing Homeschool's Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancinghomeschool . Feel free to add it also on Dancing Homeschool's groups on http://www.CafeMom.com -- just look for "Dancinghs" ID there.

mshs2

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM

56 posts, read 327,085 times
My daughter has attended both public and private schools in the past, as well being homeschooled. I can honestly say that not all private schools are better than public schools and visa versa.

There is one public school I found that is truely amazing. It is an IB schools with tons of kinesthetic classrooms with very happy students, faculty, and even principal. The principal is also very welcoming of homeschoolers attending extra-curricular activities there, which as a lot of homeschoolers know is very hard to find.

Please don't group all us homeschoolers together. Homeschoolers are a very diverse group of families with their own intersts, beliefs, learning/thinking styles, gifts, and goals in life.

Urban... , please don't bad mouth homeschooling, home educating, unschooling, and/or life learning until you have throughly researched it from all sides of the coin plus have experienced various homeschooling/unschooling/life learning moments with homeschool families. Frankly, you sound very anti-homeschool and yet very pro-public school without any real research.

Homeschooling is what works best for my daughter.

Try remembering and using the following famous sayings:
Don't knock something till you try it.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

P.S. Anyone have any experiences with the gifted homeschool and/or teen homeschool support groups in the area? If so, please feel free to post here and/or PM me.

Thanks,
mshs2

Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM

353 posts, read 952,676 times
I find it interesting how conflicted people are over this. I have thought, at times, that possibly homeschooling is better because I feel a lot of a public school day is filler and kids don't learn as much as they could. BUT, I also feel alot of people are opting for homeschooling because they have no faith in their public school system and why can't they invest their energy into making a difference in the public schools? I find that a lot lately, it is a them vs. me attitude instead of a we attitude in this country. We are all out for ourselves. I know someone will bash this, but it is true - sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary