U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM

4,341 posts, read 7,062,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I see lots of deer coming home late at night but no coyotes yet!
How do you know the deer are going home??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM

414 posts, read 485,357 times
I've neevr heard coyotes or any other animal, but I live by Crossroads with lots of people. I'd love to hear/see some wildlife close by.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,878,097 times
Saw my first coyote today on my way to work in Raleigh. Was getting on 540 Business off Davis Drive and it went running across the road. It was bigger than I thought it would be and very fast! Wow! Hopefully they won't get into my neighborhood (Parkwood).

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

1,414 posts, read 2,382,501 times
I had no idea we had coyotes here. Is it naive to think my dog is protected inside a fenced in yard?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM

309 posts, read 440,334 times
Didee: How big is your dog and how tall is your fence? Coyotes tend not to go after prey it thinks will fight back.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,791,848 times
They have been seen around Raleigh Blvd near New Hope Rd and, Rogers Ln off New Bern near Knightdale. I saw one here a couple of wks ago and read an account of someone seeing one 1 mile north of where I am.

DownEast - are you saying they can climb a certain height fence? We've had white ducks go missing (from the pond) for some time now in our neighborhood. Two were taken from my fenced in backyard, all I found were a few feathers stuck in the ground! We have a hawk that lives here and I assumed he'd gotten my ducks. I normally keep them in a covered pen but thought I was giving them a treat allowing them to have the run of my yard one day.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM

306 posts, read 524,145 times
We have them in our area, too. What we DON'T have are squirrels, which is so odd to me. I thought they were everywhere but I never see any in my neighborhood. Just an occasional dead one on the roads I wonder if it's because there are so many birds of prey here.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM

114 posts, read 130,557 times
I am staying at the Homewood Suite by the CrabTree Mall and I swore I saw a coyote from my room....everyone told me I was crazy...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 68,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFinkle View Post
I am staying at the Homewood Suite by the CrabTree Mall and I swore I saw a coyote from my room....everyone told me I was crazy...

^^ it was just trying to get a room after shopping at the mall !!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,353,904 times
We have had sightings of coyote(s) here in Highcroft, off HWY 55 and Green Hope School Road. A neighbor said one was stalking her small dog, and she brought the dog back into the house. Out walking in the evenings, my husband and I encountered a very creepy growling from the pitch-black just off the green way, and we hustled on down the sidewalk, and away.

Over the holidays, our daughter, home from college, told us the dogs started acting 'weird-ed out,' as she put it, late one night, uttering low growls and not wanting to be in the sun room on the back of the house. When they kept up with the odd behavior, she went to the sun room, turned on a light to look out in back of the house, and saw what she thought was a wolf-looking dog. She was kind of freaked-out herself.

Just the other day, on my way to the groomer's with one of the dogs, I saw a coyote that had evidently been struck by a car, near one of the Preston neighborhoods -- not too far from the corner of Harrison and Davis Drive. This was the second dead one I've seen in the past six months -- the other was out near the airport. They seem bigger than what I had previously thought, too.

Will a coyote attack a human? or a dog being walked by a human? I thought coyotes left people alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary