Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,820 times

Advertisements

I want to update my kitchen baths but don't have a clue where to start. It seems many of the companies that do this sort of thing want to know what your budget is and want to charge a retainer, etc. but I would love to work with a certified kitchen and bath designer.

I popped into one of the Triangle's Kitchen & Bath Galleries showrooms (Glenwood Ave. location in Raleigh) last year and thought I heard they would send a designer and general contractor your home for about $300 and put together a plan.

Has anyone used them or have experience with similar services? I'm worthless when it comes to design things and I don't want to make any homeowner, do-it-yourselfer-designer, mistakes. I've seen a lot of these.

Thanks.

Last edited by cstleddy; 10-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: specified local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I want to update my kitchen baths but don't have a clue where to start. It seems many of the companies that do this sort of thing want to know what your budget is and want to charge a retainer, etc. but I would love to work with a certified kitchen and bath designer.

I popped into one of the Triangle's Kitchen & Bath Galleries showrooms (Glenwood Ave. location in Raleigh) last year and thought I heard they would send a designer and general contractor your home for about $300 and put together a plan.

Has anyone used them or have experience with similar services? I'm worthless when it comes to design things and I don't want to make any homeowner, do-it-yourselfer-designer, mistakes. I've seen a lot of these.

Thanks.
Here is why they must ask you what your budget is. If you are asked and you say $400 and you want all the appliances included for that amount then the store knows not to waste their time on you. If you tell them your budget is $6000 then I know to bring only oak doors to your home to choose from. If you say $10,000 then I can bring cherry doors for you to look at. These 3 examples pretty much cover it. They are not being smart azzes to you.

And dont think that if you say your budget is $10,000 and the designer might have charged you $9000 but since you said you could afford $10,000 that you will be quoted the higher price. If you find a reputable store you will not get raped. If you go to Lowes and Home Depot you will get raped.

Most kitchen showrooms do not charge list price. If they do then run run run. In this economic depression if anyone still charges list price then they wont be in biz much longer. Nearly all small showrooms do free basic design work. If the customer starts to make many changes each day then on the 3rd day we charge like $300 for the additional design work and return that money if you buy our cabinets.

You do want to use a Kitchen Designer with a CKD, CBD, AKBD or the very best is CMKBD. You can find a list of these Designers for free at: National Kitchen & Bath Association

The place you went to sells MasterCraft Cabinets. They are a medium to high end cabinet. I have very limited experience with MasterCraft, I do know it is a quality product.

Take this as a guide, others may do things different. I walk in, listen to everything the client has as far as wishes, dreams and fantasies for their new kitchen. I will then try to narrow some of these wishes, dreams and fantasies down to their budget. I am armed with books with my product specs just in case they can not picture something in their mind. I open up the price book too. I will say heyyou want that open beaded bookshelf right there? Her it is in the book. It says $600 but dont panic because you dont pay that much. And here is a standard double door cabinet that cost $400. Is this something you want to pay the extra $200 for?

I also bring pieces and parts because visuals are key. Most people can not visualize anything. I can build a 5 step crown on your kitchen table. See what I mean? I bring many items so people can touch it and feel it and play with it. This is better then showing pictures. But I do also bring about 2000 of my own pictures from my best designs. We use these pictures as a guide, as an idea tool. People pick things from the pictures and say I want that.

I am an author of a kitchen design book. I always will give them a free copy if they are nice people. Not everyone is nice. I also give them my self published pamphlets explaining what a Kitchen Designer's role is. They are usually shocked to learn that once I sell them the cabinets that I do not disapear. I am with them every step of the way including installation day to make damn sure the installers do it according to plan.

I am getting long here. I hope I steered you in the right direction.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,815 times
Yeah, knowing your budget(approximate), as well as the kitchen size, and your expectations is going to help them narrow things down for you.

I have some questions:
Are you going to do the work yourself?
Do you want and all inclusive remodel? Willing to shop around for the different pieces of the puzzle?
What style cabinets do you like?
What type of countertop?
What is your house like? sqft?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM

37 posts, read 215,510 times
Default Kitchen & Bath renovation approach

There are several approaches to take. I would go to atleast two of these showrooms in Raleigh (Glenwood & Wake Forest Road- not sure if still there), Apex (Apex Cabinet), Fuquay (Knowles)- three would be best. The displays in the stores will educate you, and the staff will help as you tour. Even going to Home Depot or Lowes will help educate you on what is out there. If you like contemporary, look at Ikea's website for ideas.

Find out fees in addition to what you are getting. Each will have pros and cons, like satelite vs. cable. Some will have less fees, but work it into the cabinets. Get a good ballpark from each on what the linear foot cost for base and upper cabinets are in a mid-grade.

On floor and wall tile, backsplash, shower enclosure, etc. i would go to some tile stores. Ceramique and Best Tile are two good ones in Raleigh I have worked with. There are others as well. Raleigh Decorative Glass and Mirror has some unique shower enclosures, sinks, etc. if you are lookin for something trendy. Raleigh Decorative hardware has some nice cabinets (i think), cabinet hardware, fixtures, pulls, door hardware, etc. as well. Lighting- House of Lights, Peace Street Lighting, Acipheter in Cameron Village, Stephens in Fuquay.

Really depends on how much you want to shop, and how much you want to go to one place and have them do it all. By touring all these, you see what is out there and you can decide if you want to get some from each place, or go one stop shop. One stop shops are convenient, but sometimes do not have the full variety of lines out there.

Some things to consider:
1. Look at using drawers instead of cabinet doors. We have drawer base cabinets: small top and two equal below this. Allows you to actually use all your space and gain easy access vs. stacking pots and pans only to get on your knees to find.

2. Look at granite, quartz, and corian to understand all pros and cons. We have quartz, and it comes with a 10 year no stain, no scratch warranty. They perform wonderfully, but are limited in their appearance options. Some granites and corians will show wine stains, burn marks, etc.

3. Lighting helps improve a room and show off those new finishes. Many people forget this part, and have a lovely new space but the same old dingy lights to see. Be sure to work this into the budget.

4. Take measurements of all your spaces of the perimeter walls, and locate plumbing fixtures. Take this with you for people to get a sense of where you are at presently.

5. You can also hire interior designer, architect, and/ or contractor to be the lead for all this, and take you to the places he/ she uses for cabinets, counters, lights, tile, toilet fixtures, etc. You will pay a little more, but have someone watching over the whole thing for you.

6. You are improving the most lucrative spaces in the home for resale return on investment dollars. So, have fun. You will be spending some significant money (25-50K in Kitchen, 10-15K in master, 5-8K in secondary baths), so take your time to educate yourself. This will help you not feel so overwhelmed. There are hundreds of options, but in the end you will find the right one. It just takes some time.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM

56 posts, read 198,029 times
My best sucess has come from finding a smaller general contractor with kitchen experience. Most of these guys wont charge a fee for a consult and can come back with a few ideas and ballpark prices. Then if you feel comfortable with them they should be able to spend the time time give you a more accurate quote.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitrdu View Post
My best sucess has come from finding a smaller general contractor with kitchen experience. Most of these guys wont charge a fee for a consult and can come back with a few ideas and ballpark prices. Then if you feel comfortable with them they should be able to spend the time time give you a more accurate quote.
How do you go about finding a reputable, dependable smaller general contractor? They seem to be popping up all over, like mushrooms.

We want somewhat of a kitchen makeover, but not total. I love my birch cabinets, but would like to change one door to glass. I like the drawer concept for under the counter. Would need to match existing cabinets. Need to lower breakfast bar, remove one partial room divider between kitchen and LR and -- maybe -- shift appliances around (involving plumbing and electrical) but only if we add one major project: installing a new window. It doesn't seem that a ready made plan straight out of the book will fit and, as someone said earlier, we don't want to make beginner's mistakes which might happen with a general contractor who isn't really an esthetic planner. A lot of them can be good at measuring, making things fit, etc. but don't visualize the end product ahead of time. I need someone who can, because I can't do it either.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,544,815 times
ASK AROUND

co-workers, friends, relatives, neighbors, etc... Some people have used that website(forget what it is) that allows you to see reviews and contact companies through them. It's hit or miss taking advice from strangers though. Everyone has a different view of what a 'good' contractor is.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,795 times
Default How do you choose a reputable contractor for remodeling?

The very best advice in choosing a contractor is to "do your homework."

An experienced remodeling contractor should have hundreds of customers who can answer simple questions to help you make a selection. We encourage folks to go and see previous projects. Most former customers are anxious to share their experiences with others. Ask basic questions like:

"Would you hire this contractor/company again?"
"Was the final price charged the quoted price?"
"Was the project completed in a timely manner?"
"How were changes in the scope of work handled?"
"Was your property properly protected, cleaned, and treated with respect throughout the project?"
"Did you verify that the contractor was licensed, insured, and that proper permits and inspections were performed?"
"Were you and your family comfortable with the crewmembers who worked on your home?"

Let's face it; there are LOTS of handymen, contractors, and companies who actively advertise their services and make lots of promises.

Past performance is a good indicator of future behavior. A wide customer base of satisfied customers is the best predictor of performance in your home.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I always start with a cocktail.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,466 times
Does kitchen and Bath Galleries provide a contractor when you work with them or do they only do design work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary