Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do students get to magnet schools with system provided transportation(cost) or are parents going to be responsible? If the system provides transportation won't that minimize the cost savings of changing the current policy?
Well, it depends... some magnets have neighborhood busing, others require that you bring your child to an express bus stop. Also, if your child transferred into the school you are required to provide transportation.

Point well taken about the cost.

My concern is curriculum and sense of community, more than cost. If we can keep the current cost steady while improving the education of the kids and going back to the sense that most families feel that their kids are educated where they should be, that would be worth it, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
At the most basic, fundamental level I want my children to attend the school closest to our home and be provided with the best education possible.

There's a reason why I sacrifice my time and energy to have a career and generate the level of income that I do. I want my children to be surrounded by others who are also encouraged to learn, explore and expand on their horizons. I don't want them to be part of a social experiment or be forced to try and integrate with children for whom public school is little more than free babysitting.

However I would also counter that many of the "bused" children have greatly enhanced the school experience for my kids and have opened their minds to the fact that despite socio-economic differences ability is ability and poorer people are not dumber people.

I would also offer that despite some of the very real challenges thrust upon them by busing the teachers seem to maintain the level of learning I would expect from a geographically segregated school. Having lived in both types of school districts I can't tell you that one is truly better than the other.

I do wish there was an opt-out clause though for those families who are faced with the daunting prospects of unacceptably long bus rides or distances that would make it difficult for their children to establish a local social network.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
We got into a magnet school and left after 1 day. We are in NW Wake and the school was in SE Raleigh. 35-40min drive. If we wanted a bus, it was a drive in morning traffic to Apex High School where they then would've boarded a bus--probably a 50-60 min commute each way. There was just no way I was going to subject them to that. HAd the school actually been better performing and more diverse than our assigned base school, maybe I would've endured it and asked that they do so as well, but it was both underperforming and not at all diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do students get to magnet schools with system provided transportation(cost) or are parents going to be responsible? If the system provides transportation won't that minimize the cost savings of changing the current policy?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

However I would also counter that many of the "bused" children have greatly enhanced the school experience for my kids and have opened their minds to the fact that despite socio-economic differences ability is ability and poorer people are not dumber people. ..
The problem is that the bused children are children, and their needs must be met. It is fine that they help the non-bused kids learn to appreciate differences, but to bus them to a school where they are 'tolerated' as 'spice' for majority-white/privileged schools is unacceptable. What is in it for the bused kids? They are not there to serve the needs of the non-bused kids. They are there to learn.

We gladly bus our kids 1 hour to a title 1 school... a magnet. The white/ privileged kids are in the minority there. So what. The kids with special needs & educational deficiencies get what they need, the gifted get an amazing curriculum- we are all happy.

All of the families there are either at a convenient neighborhood school (base kids) or an inconvenient but truly enriching school (magnet schools) and none of us are relegated to the status of window dressing for the other group.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Nope, I will delete that.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
It may be worth noting that school board elections are staggered for the 9 seats. Only four seats were up for election this year and only residents of those four districts could vote.

The four winners, plus the like-minded person already on the board would give them the majority – which would allow them to make the changes they want.

So it would be a stretch to call this a *mandate* by *the overwhelming majority of voters* as I have read here.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
The problem is that the bused children are children, and their needs must be met. It is fine that they help the non-bused kids learn to appreciate differences, but to bus them to a school where they are 'tolerated' as 'spice' for majority-white/privileged schools is unacceptable. What is in it for the bused kids? They are not there to serve the needs of the non-bused kids. They are there to learn....
The children I referenced aren't tolerated (at least not in my house) and are certainly not "spice". These children are friends to my children and are considered as equals. It's rhetoric such as this that threatens to undermine the better parts of the concept. Kids pick up on these sentiments and it obscures their ability to form their own opinions and values by which to assess people that they meet.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,522 times
That was a sad day for the county of Wake.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Someone please tell me WHERE it is written or stated that it is a RIGHT to go to the closest school? It may be your preference, but it is NOT a right!
Right or wrong, it's just logical. Most people are for proper logistics

Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
That was a sad day for the county of Wake.
Not really. The way the whole issue has been labeled makes it more controversial and divisive than it needed to be. School boundary changes and the resulting transportation issues usually bring emotions. At the core of the issue in Wake is the need to establish school attendance zones. Parents will still be ticked that what they consider to be their neighborhood school isn't. The issue of feeder schools will become more pronounced as parents will want their kids to go to middle school with the kids they went to Elementary with etc etc. That will not always be possible and will still be controversial. A rule of thumb is that in districts experiencing rapid growth the only way to be sure your supposed neighborhood school is your assigned school is to be a walker. Districts will rarely turn walkers into bussed students by boundary changes.

The core issue was the constant change is school attendance zones and kids and families bouncing around. There were multiple reasons for it and one that may now be off the table is socio economic. There will still be other reasons. Over crowding and rapid growth were not eliminated at the voting booth yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary