Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Agreed--what she is looking for really isn't here. She would do best to consider other warm states then NC for this dream. Doesn't Florida have some "artsy-boutique" places?
Sarasota has a pretty high end cluster around Herald(?) Square ...

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Thumbs up Fuquay-Varina is your best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missalyssa View Post
I am looking to move to the area from NY and looking for a cute artsy town to live in, a place with lots of local boutiques, hopefully with alot of clothing boutiques. Something like Ithaca, NY or Haddonfield, NJ. Is there anything like that down there?

Also, is there a certain place with a lot of local clothing boutiques like a specific area downtown or anything? Or are they just placed sparatically?

Thank you!
Consider Fuquay-Varina. The town is now one town, but once was two. The historic Varina and Fuquay Springs downtowns are very eclectic. There are many artsy, clothing, food, etc vendors between the two. The Varina side is smaller, while the Fuquay Springs side is a pretty good size.

Keep in mind just how popular Fuquay-Varina has become. It is the proud location of the Triangle's number one selling new SFH neighborhood in 2008. It has managed to incorporate growth, yet maintain it's small town feel. You will find both an eclectic/artsy feel, as well as a country feel depending on which part of town you are in. Combine that with the fact that it is the single most convenient suburb to Raleigh (time and distance) and it may be just what you are looking for.

Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce, North Carolina

"As the hyphened name suggests, Fuquay-Varina was once two separate communities. Still boasting two separate downtowns, the neighborhood presents a flavor you don't find anywhere else. Both thriving districts are filled to the brim with specialty shops, boutiques, restaurants, offices and second-story residences. The downtown areas have the best of what Fuquay-Varina has to offer."

Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
What about Apex? I haven't been there, but I read on here that the downtown area has lots of shops? Is it artsy?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
What about Apex? I haven't been there, but I read on here that the downtown area has lots of shops? Is it artsy?
I wouldn't say the Apex downtown has "lots" of shops. It's pretty small, and I don't think it's artsy. They are going more for 'small town America' with a mix of restaurants, a couple antique/used item places, used book store, coffee shop (I think), etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
No. That would not be a good choice. The DT area is tiny and only has a few good choices. It is in pretty rough shape compared to other options. It's all subjective, but that is my take on it.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM

119 posts, read 355,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Consider Fuquay-Varina. The town is now one town, but once was two. The historic Varina and Fuquay Springs downtowns are very eclectic. There are many artsy, clothing, food, etc vendors between the two. The Varina side is smaller, while the Fuquay Springs side is a pretty good size.

Keep in mind just how popular Fuquay-Varina has become. It is the proud location of the Triangle's number one selling new SFH neighborhood in 2008. It has managed to incorporate growth, yet maintain it's small town feel. You will find both an eclectic/artsy feel, as well as a country feel depending on which part of town you are in. Combine that with the fact that it is the single most convenient suburb to Raleigh (time and distance) and it may be just what you are looking for.

Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce, North Carolina

"As the hyphened name suggests, Fuquay-Varina was once two separate communities. Still boasting two separate downtowns, the neighborhood presents a flavor you don't find anywhere else. Both thriving districts are filled to the brim with specialty shops, boutiques, restaurants, offices and second-story residences. The downtown areas have the best of what Fuquay-Varina has to offer."
I have to disagree again. The description you have quoted makes it sound like someone could spend all day shopping in the shops in downtown Fuquay and that just isn't the case (i.e. "filled to the brim with specialty shops, boutiques, restaurants"----how many restaurants are there in that part of FV?). For what it is, Fuquay is "cute," but it's not really 'artsy,' in the sense that I think the OP may be looking for. I used to live and work near one of the towns she mentioned in her original post and would frequent it and another similar town for leisure. Those places have 200+ shops along their main street...a wide variety of businesses (LOTS of boutiques, which she mentioned she would like)...lots of historic charm, many historic buildings, Revolutionary-era taverns, some have historic bridges and horse/carriages, and many local artists who display their work in local galleries and at arts/crafts fairs, etc. None of the little towns here compare, unfortunately. I would hate to "sell" someone on something that doesn't exist here, which is why I urge her to come visit here more than once or twice to make the judgment for herself.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny View Post
I have to disagree again.
That's fine. It's all just each person's opinion. No one is right or wrong. I live in Fuquay and frequent the shops. There are a lot of them and they can't all be seen from the street. With some of them, you have to go in a small entrance and then the building opens up to multiple vendors. I picked up a great locally made hat for my wife there. I love the quantity and quality of the shops and there are many places to eat. Is it the most of any place in the country? No. I don't think anyone has claimed that. What is being stated is that in this area, Fuquay-Varina's downtowns are ranked near the top of the list and when combined with proximity to Raleigh and the beauty of what is still a great small town experience, it is a place the OP should come give a look.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

93 posts, read 326,502 times
If she is going to open a boutique, wouldn't it make sense to find a location that doesn't already have a lot of boutiques? so any of the locations discussed could work if she targeted her market appropriately.

I grew up in NC and live in NY---It seems to me that Chapel Hill and Ithaca NY are very similar in tone. I feel it every time I'm in Ithaca---there is a strange absence of blue there.

And to say that there isn't much difference in the winters just seems unrealistic...well, it does depend partly on what PART of New York one lives in, but yes, there is a substantial difference in the length and harshness of winters. My heat kicked in two weeks ago and it is set at 64. Do you have your heat on yet? Do you even own a snow shovel or a pair of snow boots?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
My heat kicked in two weeks ago and it is set at 64. Do you have your heat on yet?
God no - not yet. This one of those two times of the year when I have no heat bill and no A/C bill. I'm surprised your heat kicks on at 64. I don't think my house has gotten below 72-74, even with some windows open in the evening.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 263,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
If she is going to open a boutique, wouldn't it make sense to find a location that doesn't already have a lot of boutiques? so any of the locations discussed could work if she targeted her market appropriately.

I grew up in NC and live in NY---It seems to me that Chapel Hill and Ithaca NY are very similar in tone. I feel it every time I'm in Ithaca---there is a strange absence of blue there.

And to say that there isn't much difference in the winters just seems unrealistic...well, it does depend partly on what PART of New York one lives in, but yes, there is a substantial difference in the length and harshness of winters. My heat kicked in two weeks ago and it is set at 64. Do you have your heat on yet? Do you even own a snow shovel or a pair of snow boots?
I agree about Chapel Hill and Ithaca being very similar in tone... when I was in Ithaca, I too felt that absence of blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary