Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post
He was probably an extra in The Staircase Murder. A made for T.V. movie about the trial. I guess. So, what did you mean Francois.
No, actually I thought this was the house in Forest Hills where large portions of The Handmaid's Tale were filmed, in 1989. I was an extra in the movie (though not in any house scenes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No, actually I thought this was the house in Forest Hills where large portions of The Handmaid's Tale were filmed, in 1989. I was an extra in the movie (though not in any house scenes).
OK....I got it now I remember now that there was an ealier film partially made in the Peterson house...at 1810 Cedar St. in Forest Hills. It's a very nice section of Durham too.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
you must have graduated in the 94-99 year range....wheels was the hotness. esp their cookie cake.
Mmm, the cookie cake! I believe that was the first time I had ever had one. Yes, I graduated in '99. As a matter of fact our 10 year reunion was just last night.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,383 times
Smile When I think of the bulls

I think of the Durham Bulls. I grew up on Washington Street right up from the old Durham Bull's baseball park. I could sit on my grandmother's front porch and listen to the games and announcements in the evenings.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
My husband was in the stadium scenes in Bull Durham - not sure we can pick him out though.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
I was thinking about making this thread tonight! Great minds think alike! Here's a repost of a post I made a while ago.

You know you are from Durham if you remember:

*Skate-Inn skating rink--over near where South Square Mall used to be. It's now an office building.
*A&P grocery store--also near South Square. It's an office supply place now (Stapes or Office Max).
*Piggly Wiggly grocery store over in Forest Hills.
*The TWO cow stores--one near Lakewood, and many people forget there was another one on Roxboro road. Due to a city ordinance, I think the cows were required to be taken down.
*Godfather's Pizza on Chapel Hill Boulevard
*The "Dollar" movie theatre on Chapel Hill Boulevard. I forget the name right off hand, but it's across from Shrimp Boats.
*The Lakewood movie theatre--they used to show kids' movies during the day in the summer time (Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Herbie the Lovebug, Pippi Longstocking, Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, stuff like that).
*When the area that is now Southpoint was barren and not even in the city limits.
*The sweet smell of tobacco when driving through the Brightleaf Square area
*Durham High School
*When Southern High School was on Ellis Road
*DAVIS BAKERY!
*North Duke "Mall"--such a POOR excuse for a mall if I've ever seen one. There were like five stores in there. SMH
*When most of the stuff at the Museum of Life and Science was ACROSS the street from where it is now, and there were a couple of REAL airplanes on display out front. I think one of them you could actually climb in. I haven't been in years, do they still have that display of the moon landing? I thought that was so cool as a kid.
*Not a Durham memory per-se, but I remember when the town of Morrisville was an absolute JOKE, just a rural, one-horse town. Cary wasn't far behind. I also remember when North Hills Mall was basically a dead mall, which is why I refuse to pay the exorbitant rents on the condos they've slapped up over there. I remember the area BEFORE they brought in all the cool stuff!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
*The "Dollar" movie theatre on Chapel Hill Boulevard. I forget the name right off hand, but it's across from Shrimp Boats.
As you probably know, they tore down that theater about five (?) years ago. Too bad -- I thought, albeit having never gone inside, that that would have made an awesome place to convert into something like the movie theater/brewery/restaurant in Asheville. But now it's just an empty lot.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I totally laughed at this. Now I want to go to Honey's

This was from an old email I got a while back:
-You love Randy's pizza
-You're either a Duke or UNC fan..but you have weird friends that go for NC state..
-You've been to a Durham Bull's game
-you agree that the cookout has yummy milkshakes
-school gets canceled if theres even a chance of snow
-You've at least heard of the movie 'Bull Durham' and 'Welcome to Durham'
-you know about the 'pickle' building down by southsquare
- wynsong theaters are gross, but you know you can get in a R rated movie underage
- You remember the CCB building downtown, before it was suntrust..
- you've sat at the Infinity/Roxboro stoplight FOREVER
- you go to 9th street and see atleast one person you know..including the homeless people
- you went to hillsborough sportsplex to go ice skating
-DATA busses...not the safest place to be..
-you have eaten at either/all of these places: Elmos Diner, georges garage, waffle house, honeys, the dog house & italian pizzeria
- you remember durham high
-one of your relatives probably worked in one of the tabacco warehouses
- you've probably ridden on the merry-go-round at northgate
- starlight drive in?
-the cow stores!
- when you watch important carolina or duke games during class
- you have heard of/been to camp kanata
- you know about the festival for the eno, always july 3-5
- you are probably from Durham if you have ever eaten at King's Hotdog Stand or Amos and Andy's.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Nevermind. We all know how about Durham.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
You remember exactly where you were when you heard about the Duke Lacrosse scandal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary