U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM

37 posts, read 57,570 times
Thank you for the West Cary neighborhood names - we will be heading that way this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 AM

37 posts, read 57,570 times
I like the affordability and convenience of Durham...but the pricetag of private school for four is a huge turn-off

We tried Hillandale for 2 weeks and the class-size and disorganization had us scrambling to find something for my 6 year-old. We found Triangle Day School and LOVE it...but again...affording four through there...we could trade it for a huge mortgage in Chapel Hill.

About Wake Schools...if we were to choose a neighborhood where the kids could WALK to school (i.e. Highcroft), would the whole redistricting/bussing nightmare affect us? They have great scores and look like awesome schools...

THANK YOU for all the help!
Corly

Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,226,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corlyjones View Post
I like the affordability and convenience of Durham...but the pricetag of private school for four is a huge turn-off

We tried Hillandale for 2 weeks and the class-size and disorganization had us scrambling to find something for my 6 year-old. We found Triangle Day School and LOVE it...but again...affording four through there...we could trade it for a huge mortgage in Chapel Hill.

About Wake Schools...if we were to choose a neighborhood where the kids could WALK to school (i.e. Highcroft), would the whole redistricting/bussing nightmare affect us? They have great scores and look like awesome schools...

Corly
I've read on here that walkers have been reassigned--don't know if that's true. I would be shocked if that ever happened at Highcroft. We left Wake County last year but if I had to move back Highcroft would be high on my list because of the elementary school and having the Town of Cary park in the neighborhood. The Reserve right next to Highcroft is another great option.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM

455 posts, read 624,417 times
Cannot beat the Chapel Hill area for education at any level or price. You already have info on Cary, so i won't repeat. Have you tried the Briercreek/Leesville High area? Also look into the Wakefield system area.

As someone who lives in Durham, I don't recommend any of it.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM

1,878 posts, read 3,179,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
As someone who lives in Durham, I don't recommend any of it.
Could you please be more specific? You're not helping anyone without reasons. That's a huge blanket statement and it's going to be hard for people to take your advice.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Please don't call him ignorant -- thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM

2,537 posts, read 6,067,159 times
Check out the Churton Grove neighborhood in Hillsborough before writing the town off.

Hillsborough is really a terrific town to raise a family

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,225,015 times
Quote:

Corly
Why do you automatically assume that Durham's public schools are no good? I know several people with kids in SW Durham, and they're quite happy with the public schools there.

That being said, if you're willing to reconsider whether you really need a huge house, Orange County offers a great quality of life and two very good school districts.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 23,243 times
We have 3 children in Durham Public Schools and are very satisfied. Durham has lots of choices.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 3,599,073 times
Chapel Hill has 5 br houses in your price range.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM

613 posts, read 632,308 times
Quote:
I am looking around 500k, 5 bedrooms, and a great family-oriented spot. We love Chapel Hill but are priced out of it for what we'd like to have in a house. Hillsborough is too rural for us and Southeast Cary is too far away from my husband's work (McKinney at the Tobacco District in DT Durham). My husband and I try to explore a few neighborhoods a weekend...any suggestions as to where we should head next?
It takes me 20-22 minutes from Amberly to American Tobacco parking garage every day. Cary Park would only add a couple of minutes each way. Lots of 5BR+ for sale in Cary Park between $450-650K, most of it toward the high end of that figure. Mills Park elementary is great. Residence club in Amberly is top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary