Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 199,652 times

Advertisements

I see... although I am not sure how I would feel about that. While I would have no problem with different economic status with one school, I would not like to think of any child having to be bussed in or out 15 miles. Does anyone have children in the county and what are your feelings on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 08:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC
Apex and Holly Springs are a part of Wake County Public School System.

The entire county is growing so much and so many children are entering the system, that redistricting will be a way of life for the foreseeable future. Lines are constantly being redrawn and there is more than one variable taken into consideration. Proximity to a certain school is only one variable.
Exactly. The town you live in really has no effect on the schools you go to. People don't buy houses in any particular area of wake county based on the school district, because it's all the same school district.... and the districts for the individual schools change every year. It's pretty much the luck of the draw every year. They try to make it seem like all of the schools in the county are equal and that none are better than others; but it's pretty obvious that's not true

Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 PM

I see...while I don't think I am opposed to economic diveristy (although I don't know enough about it at this time), I hate to see any child having to be bussed 15 miles to and from school. What is the purpose for the bussing? Are there any parents of school children in these districts on this thread? I would be interested in your thoughts.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:24 PM

I didn't think my first post went through - now I see that it did. >)

Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Is the complaint mainly about the bussing in and out, or about the quality of education within those particular schools. Is this being done for economic diversity or cultural diversity? What is the reasoning behind this?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 PM

Ok...1. it's a little bit of both

2. a little bit of both agian. lol

3. Nobody really knows, but at times it really does seem like the reason is to tick everyone off.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Ok...1. it's a little bit of both

2. a little bit of both agian. lol

3. Nobody really knows, but at times it really does seem like the reason is to tick everyone off.

I know it would be hard for you to answer this. But I'd like you to give it a shot. See, I am trying to find pros and cons to moving to NC from NJ and the schools anywhere I go are the most important factor. Here, we live in a town of about 20K, we pay city taxes, and although they are on the high side, the schools, which consist of 2 Elementary, 1 high school and 1 middle school, are very good as far as NJ schools go. ( I am not sure how to compare NJ schools to NC schools, but I am working on it.) One of the perks to this town is the schools and it is one of the reasons people move/stay here. So basically, I feel as though I know what I am getting here. I know what schools my kids will be in and know which kids they are going to school with. If you can't afford to live or rent in this town, you cannot go to the schools. Is that what Wake is trying to avoid?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM

Also, how many years has the Wake County schools bussed? Does it look like it will continue?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 PM

Well, for the first general question....probably. I know that where i'm from in Upstate NY, the school systems are by towns and they tend to be better organized, and yes, the property taxes are fairly high unless you can find some loophole houses (I've found houses that cost 170,000 and have 6k taxes, and then two streets over the same priced house will have 3k taxes.... in the same school district) Although unlike many other areas of the NE, the houses themselves are very affordable. Here, the property taxes are low accross the county, but you don't have near the stability of knowing what school your kids will go to. I'm not sure how long the bussing in Wake Co. has gone on for; but rest assured it will not only continue, but with the uncontrolled growth, it will escalate.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Well, for the first general question....probably. I know that where i'm from in Upstate NY, the school systems are by towns and they tend to be better organized, and yes, the property taxes are fairly high unless you can find some loophole houses (I've found houses that cost 170,000 and have 6k taxes, and then two streets over the same priced house will have 3k taxes.... in the same school district) Although unlike many other areas of the NE, the houses themselves are very affordable. Here, the property taxes are low accross the county, but you don't have near the stability of knowing what school your kids will go to. I'm not sure how long the bussing in Wake Co. has gone on for; but rest assured it will not only continue, but with the uncontrolled growth, it will escalate.

I would never go for that, that would nix my plans in a heartbeat if I had kids in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary