Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times

Advertisements

jbognar, I think you missed the title of wtd's post: "In the North,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:48 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
jbognar, I think you missed the title of wtd's post: "In the North,"
Oops....my apologies wtd7575!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
One advantage to the gas fireplaces I haven't seen listed....

If you lose power, as we did a couple years back, for a few days you can "camp out" in the living room and stay reasonably warm with the fireplace going...

You could do the same with a wood burning fireplace, but a lot more work to keep it going through the night...

Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
Excellent point.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,356 times
Question, Now for those who do not mind the "work" associated with the real fireplace. Can the homeowner install or replace a gas fireplace with a masonry chimney? Generally do HOA's allow it? By the way some of the grand older homes in NC have the real ones.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
For the most part, a lot of them are fitted to go back from the onset, but you need to ask about the particular home. If it's a switchover you can do easily or not on that particular fireplace.
I've got the "real" fireplace. We run it all winter, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Yes, it's work, yes, it's messy at times, yes, there's a big pile of wood. But, nothing compares. It is home and it is cozy, and I don't find the same with the gas. We also fitted our real one with a vent, to blow more heat out into the room. Now, that's real cozy.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 AM

233 posts, read 860,431 times
Our house had a gas fireplace... I grew up in a house with 4 real fireplaces...I got tired of the gas prices and the gas companies. We only had the gas tank for the gas logs, and because we didn't fill'er up more than once a year, they socked me with a tank rental fee of $75/yr. The gas price per gallon was more than my neighbor was paying, they use theirs for heat and gas logs, so it was explained to me that my price was a bit higher because I only used it for gas logs. I checked this with several companies and it seemed to be the same thing. The best thing was knowing if the power went out, and it has with these dern ice storms, that we had heat in the living room atleast. BUT... my in-laws did a great thing when they were tired of the gas companies also.. they bought a beautiful electric fireplace. I couldn't believe it when I saw it running, it does provide heat, can be run with the generator if the power goes out, and the flame/flicker are very random looking and totally adjustable. Throws heat, or not... it can just run for the ambience. It runs on a couple of chandelier lightbulbs and plugs into a regular outlet that my DH and FIL installed in the back of the fireplace. It costs me pennies to run without the heat, and didn't really notice much difference in the electric bill when we did run it with the heat.

I'm a much happier camper with the electric than the gas or real fireplace. I actually enjoy flipping it on and watching a movie at night with my bowl of popcorn....even in the middle of summer!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
When most of our homes here were built by custom builders, they all used real wood burning fireplaces with real brick.

Slowly, as the tract builders moved into the area, I remember Pulte as one of the first, you could still use wood but the outside of the chimney wasn't brick, it was siding.

Since about 1990, its the norm to not use the brick (which cost us back in 1990 about $2500 extra simply because I WANTED IT) but for the builders to use the gas fireplaces without anytype of chimney.

We converted our wood fireplace to gas about 7 years ago. We didn't use it due to the mess and cost of firewood.

Its just the way things change.

We used to build homes (inside the beltline is a good example) without garages simply because we didn't feel we needed them.

When the IBMers moved here in the 60s and 70s, they were used to garages and as the builders got wind of this, they began to build garages.

Things change. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

Vicki

Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
We only had the gas tank for the gas logs, and because we didn't fill'er up more than once a year, they socked me with a tank rental fee of $75/yr.
Sounds like you had propane...not natural gas. If one already has natural gas running to the home, there are no tanks or tank rental fees.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:00 PM

233 posts, read 860,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Sounds like you had propane...not natural gas. If one already has natural gas running to the home, there are no tanks or tank rental fees.
You're right! It was propane, and I just got tired of the b.s. that came with dealing with the supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary