Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
H&M is a clothing store that started in Europe (it's a Swedish company). It sells "trendy" clothes for cheap.
The clothing equivalent of Ikea? Wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Yay!!!! I miss H&M! It was one of my "go to" stores in CA, and one of my "must visits" when I flew back this summer. Yay!!!! So happy!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinitaw View Post
What is H& M?
It's Old Navy Hits Europe!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:09 AM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
so after my excitement resulting in a duplicate thread, i realized i didnt actually post in the real thread.
i am very excited, so is my wife. if they dont have men's clothes, i'm going to be very disappointed. i'm happy it's coming here and not charlotte in any event.

for the people who say the quality is crappy, i mean it's not like the north face or something, but i've got tons of clothes from there, including my entire outfit today...jacket, jeans, dress shirt, and t-shirt. some of these items i've had for years and are in great shape. you can definitely find crap there, but they usually have such a selection that you can pick up some neat stuff that is unique and durable. urban outfitters sells ugly clothes that are poorly made (like, buttons fall off, zippers break, holes form, everything shrivels up after a few washes), and theyre really expensive. h&m is better than that, just a cheaper zara like someone said. for guys who aren't abercrombie/american eagle people or sears/walmart people either, it's a welcome store.
I'm with you here. My wife is going to be thrilled. Every time we travel, she has to track down a H&M. I've only been to the ones in Chicago and NYC, but seem to leave there with a bag full each time.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 29,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
LOL!!! If you were driving to DC just to shop at H&M, you passed three of them (2 in Virginia Beach and 1 in Richmond). Also, H&M stores are not in markets such as Denver, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, etc. However, they do have stores in Atlanta and Orlando. If anything, they certainly have a strange way of choosing their markets.

Check out this link to H&M's store locator map. Take note of some of the major US cities they have ignored. Strange....

H&M - Store Locator

H&M and Zara are very similiar in some of their styles and market share but at the same time have some regional differences. Zara clothing has a more Southern European flair as the store is based and originated in Spain.

Therefore the culture and look of Zara is a little bit more street chic with a Spaniard flair and although their market is to target "Everyone" they really do not. The pricing in Zara tends to be a bit higher than H&M and the way their clothes are sized is very European as well. They do not alter their sizing very much for the American market. It is very common to find a pair of jeans for men let's just say that are listed as a 32" waist but you end up having to buy a 34" or 35"w because of the fit difference.

Zara has anchored itself in cities like New York and Miami where a strong following was already there from a transatlantic perspective and really where a niche for their fashion would really take off. While Miami unlike New York does not have an H&M. It does have two large Zara stores. Not to say that H&M cannot do well in Miami but they are smart in introducing markets like Raleigh that do not have anything like H&M or Zara.

Zara is great but I can't see the average Man or Woman in Raleigh/Durham or this state for that matter wearing their clothes. H&M is a little more mainstream yet fashionable.

My 2 Cents!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's Old Navy Hits Europe!
That's a description I can understand!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 AM

9 posts, read 29,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
That's a description I can understand!
...it's not Old Navy. So don't expect flannel, cargos and 2 sweat shirts for 30 bucks kinda deal.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Woohoo!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM

74 posts, read 203,589 times
Can't wait! I love H&M

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Update:

I just talked to their US corporate headquarters in NY, and the store is in fact opening in the spring, and will include women's, men's, kids, and maternity. Sounds like a big, full store!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary