Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I've lived here 17 years, and I've never heard of either beltline referred to as a loop.

Who says Outer and Inner Loop? Who said those were the right terms? Hmmm?

If it's "official," it's meaningless, because no one uses those terms.
On the contrary, 540 has indeed been referred to as "The Outer Loop" since it was in the planning stages. Not "The outer Beltline", which was (is) one direction of "the Beltline", which has only ever been 440. And I've lived here a lot longer than 17 years I actually remember the first time I drove on 440 as a complete "Beltline" when they finally finished the "circle".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I have to say, even when I was a fresh transplant I never got why people were so confused by "inner" and "outer" beltline. If downtown is to your right/the passenger side of your car...you are in the inner betline. If downtown is to your left/drivers side of your car..you are on the outer beltline. The inner beltline is northbound west of downtown and southbound east of downtown, and the outer beltline is the vice versa; northbound east of downtown, and southbound west of downtown. Nothing TOO complicated about it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I've lived here 17 years, and I've never heard of either beltline referred to as a loop.

I'm from Rochester, NY, where there is both an Outer Loop and an Inner Loop. So if I'd heard them referred to that way, I would have remembered.

Who says Outer and Inner Loop? Who said those were the right terms? Hmmm?

If it's "official," it's meaningless, because no one uses those terms.
NC DOT calls 540 "I-540 Raleigh Outer Loop."

I believe it is on some of the signage too.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
The Beltline has always been the Beltline.

Why, then, the term, "Inside the Beltline"? Shouldn't it be "Inside The Inner Loop"? ITIL?

"They" changed the names of "outer" and "inner" beltline, remember?

Many things in development are not called the same thing once they are completed. My parents were going to name me "Holly," for example. (A nice name for others, but not for me.)

I'll stick with "Inner Beltline" and "Outer Beltline," and you know everyone will totally know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
On the contrary, 540 has indeed been referred to as "The Outer Loop" since it was in the planning stages. Not "The outer Beltline", which was (is) one direction of "the Beltline", which has only ever been 440. And I've lived here a lot longer than 17 years I actually remember the first time I drove on 440 as a complete "Beltline" when they finally finished the "circle".

Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Thanks Francois for backing me up. I grew up in north Raleigh and my parents still live near 540. For years and years we heard about this freeway that was "coming". We heard about it for 20 years it seemed. From my very earliest recollection, the planned freeway was always referred to as "The Outer Loop" in much the same way that 440 has always been called "The Beltline". In fact, calling "The Beltline" 440 is not original. Its secondary name used to be US1/64 before I-40 completed The Beltline in the early 1980s.

I too remember driving the full beltline after it was completed when I was in college at State. I think it was 1982??

The "inner" and "outer" loops of "The Beltline" was a failed attempt to make navigating it more clear to those who were unfamiliar. Needless to say....

Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM

189 posts, read 374,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
But, frankly, when I see a reply like this, sarcastic intent or not, it makes my blood boil...

Having said that, maybe it's just me, but I get a little sick and tired of all that NY/NJ hollering/screaming go-go-go I'm a tough guy/girl BS...it's not necessary, and frankly, if someone comes at me like that, then depending on the day of the week, they may be greeted in return with either A) both my extended middle digits or B) my extended fist...

... don't come here and belittle someone who's only trying to provide helpful information, because 'that's the way we do it up North', because I and a lot of others will tell you to STAY up North, and keep all that unwanted volume and attitude to yourself
Hear, hear!!! I bow to you, o captain, my captain!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread as a person who may be relocating to the area later this year. I truly appreciate the gracious way in which those very familiar to the area are sharing their tips to help the newcomers who want to know their new home better and, appropriately, put a lot of care into showing respect to those who call an area their home.

My only concern is that I do wear a lot of blue... in many shades. Wonder if I'd inadvertently start a neighborhood smackdown.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Hear, hear!!! I bow to you, o captain, my captain!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread as a person who may be relocating to the area later this year. I truly appreciate the gracious way in which those very familiar to the area are sharing their tips to help the newcomers who want to know their new home better and, appropriately, put a lot of care into showing respect to those who call an area their home.

My only concern is that I do wear a lot of blue... in many shades. Wonder if I'd inadvertently start a neighborhood smackdown.
You're welcome.

As far as clothes, I've never known any color to be an issue. But then again, my favorite color clothes are black. I'm looking forward to a time when I can donate all my current non-black clothes to ReTails (AnimalKind) and buy nothing but black clothes. ...and wear ridiculously colorful shoes, glasses, and jewelry.

And a note to everyone: Just please, please, please, have a job lined up before you move here. Sorry. Had to throw that one in.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Just be leery of game days and the day after, especially when UNC plays Duke. You might want to wear your "medium blue" then (neither navy "Duke" blue nor light "Carolina" blue)!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Francois, stop scaring the newcomers.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM

189 posts, read 374,495 times
Quote:
francois, stop scaring the newcomers.
rofl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary