Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM

71 posts, read 79,256 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is widely known (not widely enough) but there are plans to use tolls to fund the remaining construction of 540. And Cary's mayor seems to be one of the supporters! Check this out for more:

http://notollson540.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
I think it's widely known.

The mayors of Apex and Holly Springs also support it (although grudgingly). Essentially, it a choice between toll roads and no roads. If it's a toll road, it can be completed by 2011. If only public funding is used, it will not even be started before 2022.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Sounds like a good idea to me. The road gets paid for by actual users of the road. And it seems like it would be completed more quickly due to this source of funding.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridari View Post
I don't think it is widely known (not widely enough) but there are plans to use tolls to fund the remaining construction of 540.
We welcome you out from the rock you've been living under.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,332 times
The only part I wasn't aware of was the plan to toll the 2.8 mile segment they're completing now, I-540P from NC-54 to NC-55. That was already paid for with tax dollars - I'm surprised they'd toll that.

I'm fine with creating toll roads - but putting tolls on roads that have already been paid for with tax dollars... that doesn't seem right.

The http://notollson540.org/ site could really use some work. It desperately needs an introduction to their position. I've never seen a position site that doesn't explain their position.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
The only part I wasn't aware of was the plan to toll the 2.8 mile segment they're completing now, I-540P from NC-54 to NC-55. That was already paid for with tax dollars - I'm surprised they'd toll that.
I'll be surprised if they can do it from a traffic flow perspective. I don't believe that this section of road, or more specifically the entrance/exit ramps, were originally designed to be a toll road. They'll have to put in toll booths, widen lanes, etc. With the number of cars from RTP that will be using these ramps, they'll have to put 2 or 3 toll lanes on each ramp or traffic will really back up.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridari View Post
I don't think it is widely known (not widely enough) but there are plans to use tolls to fund the remaining construction of 540. And Cary's mayor seems to be one of the supporters! Check this out for more:

http://notollson540.org/
I don't think many newcomers to the area are tha concerned about it, not that it isn't known about.

Tolls are much more common in many areas. To be honest, I am shocked that NC doesn't have many, if any, toll roads. I don't like paying them....but I also like getting where I am going in a timely fashions, and sometimes you have to pay to play.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'll be surprised if they can do it from a traffic flow perspective. I don't believe that this section of road, or more specifically the entrance/exit ramps, were originally designed to be a toll road. They'll have to put in toll booths, widen lanes, etc. With the number of cars from RTP that will be using these ramps, they'll have to put 2 or 3 toll lanes on each ramp or traffic will really back up.
I hadn't thought of that. I hope you're right.

This is the latest I could find on it - http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1267697/. So it sounds like they wouldn't make it a toll until 2011 at the earliest. You'd think the Alston Regional Activity Center developers would be really upset about this decision. I can only assume that a toll on this portion of 540 would reduce people's willingness to visit stores there. More info on Alston Regional Activity Center here: http://www.townofcary.org/depts/planning/regionalcenterwest/overview.htm (broken link)

Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I think it's widely known.

The mayors of Apex and Holly Springs also support it (although grudgingly). Essentially, it a choice between toll roads and no roads. If it's a toll road, it can be completed by 2011. If only public funding is used, it will not even be started before 2022.
Exactly. The costs of constructing the road have increased so dramatically over recent years that there just isn't enough money to build it. So, as Jbognar so eloquently put it, toll roads or no roads.

And of course, you have the choice not to pay the tolls - don't use it, and use the same route you use now.

Speaking of the toll road project, and now I'm crawling out from under my proverbial rock, are there plans to set up some sort of Speed Pass? I'm assuming there are, but you know what happens...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM

71 posts, read 79,256 times
It is my understanding that much of this was funded by DOT already and scheduled for construction, and then defunded and assigned to the turnpike authority. Most of 540 would be without tolls but those unlucky enough to live or work near the final sections would bear the brunt of the cost directly. Hardly fair at all considering how the rest of the road was handled with tax dollars.

Meanwhile, I-95 doesn't have any tolls in NC. When you get up into Maryland/Delaware, the tolls start hitting you. Tolling transients rolling down I-95 would be a far better road to toll than 540.

I suspect this is a way for Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, etc. to tell low wage earners that they aren't welcome. Someone who makes $80K a year won't be hurt that badly but someone who makes $20K a year is going to really be hurting from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary