Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM

431 posts, read 982,420 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My parents are coming to visit Thurs-Sunday and they've both never been to NC before. I've only been here a year and still don't know much. What are some nice touristy things to do with them? I know my mom wants to see the colored leaves and I was just thinking of driving down 440 just north of Cary Crossroads, any better ideas? They won't want to travel far, maybe 20 minutes or so. Jordan lake is an option, but I don't know if that's a good spot for leaves. Any other attractions? They're staying at a hotel by Regency Amphitheater and I live by Cary Crossroads.

Does anyone know if the food places at the fair grounds will be open for the flea market this weekend? My mom wanted a fried pecan pie slice since they'll miss the fair by a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 PM

238 posts, read 669,226 times
Duke Gardens is good. I've taken my parents/in-laws there when they visited and they liked it.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Duke Gardens is good. I've taken my parents/in-laws there when they visited and they liked it.
I second Duke Gardens. Could try Raleigh farmers market; take the 2 hour drive to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Also, try this web site The Official Travel & Tourism Website for North Carolina

Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
Any of the free museums could be fun, as well as a walk downtown followed by lunch or dinner. I can't help with the leaves though- I'm going to the mountains to see them this weekend so I don't know where the good local spots are (besides out my windows). Have fun!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
We drove up to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. The leaves on the Parkway are past peak, but the Pilot Mountain area looked great. I don't know how it will look by next weekend, though, especially if we get a lot of rain this week.

Here's Pilot Mountain yesterday:

Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 AM

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate the ideas. I'd love to hit up the BRP, but my parents don't like long car rides so that's out of the question. I think Jordan Lake is as far as I'd take them, anyone know how that area is this time of year? There's an antique car show that they won't be interested in, but it might be a nice walk around. They're 55-60 and I'm 28 if it matters.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
What about Lake Johnson? You can walk around the lake (great leaves) there is a paved trail.

Going to chapel hill, franklin street, walking around the university (take them to the old well because that is the picture everyone shows when talking about UNC Chapel Hill),

going to A southern Season on 15-501 and have lunch at the Weathervane (I could look around the store for at least an hour!!!).

i would leave chapel hill early on saturday, since they will close franklin street down for the halloween bash around 5pm

Go to the Duke Chapel, which is so so so pretty, and Duke's campus is very very pretty as well.

that's all I got so far!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM

133 posts, read 626,966 times
I second the recommendation for A Southern Season. My mother and I could spend hours there and Weathervane is a nice little restaurant.

A drive through North Raleigh around the Falls Lake area may also give you good enough views of changing leaves without the long drive.

I don't know where your parents are from or what they like, but maybe the Farmers Market, an outdoor mall like North Hills, a walk down Hillsborough St (maybe Frazier's or Porter's for a meal), a trip to Pullen Park, a trip to Cameron Village. I'd avoid the NC State & UNC areas Halloween evening.

Also, a meal at Angus Barn even in the Wild Turkey lounge would show them a Raleigh icon. If they like wine you can take a tour of the wine cellar.

NC Museum of Art is probably another nice place to visit.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM

They're from SoFL but grew up in NY. My Mom's on this Southern cooking bender right now since she cooks/bakes all the time, any good spots to go for some Southern fare?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
NC Museum of Art is probably another nice place to visit.
The museum is closed for renovations until April 2010. The NC Museum of History has an interesting pirate exhibit, though.

Since your mom is into cooking, I second the nomination for Southern Season. You can have lunch at the restaurant, then she can shop around the store.

As for southern fare, it depends on what you're looking for. Barbecue? There are many places, as mentioned in other threads. (The Pit, Clyde Coopers, etc.) I also recommend Big Ed's for down home cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary