Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM

57 posts, read 50,005 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Just looking from feedback from someone who has done something similar to understand how the timing works.

My kids currently attend elementary in NY (Nassau County, Long Island)...I looked at the Wake County Schools Enrollment packet and I see that it asks for the date the child withdrew from their previous school and also for the student records to be forwarded.

Anyone here have any experience on when I should get this process started in NY? I want them to finish out the school year here and then start in NC - if we end up buying a house assigned to a YR base school, I'm guessing they'll start just a few weeks later in mid-July.

Also, assuming we have offer-to-purchase/closing squared away, how does pre-enrolling at the Wake county school work? If I enroll prior to June 1, I won't have the withdrawal paperwork from their current school in NY yet?

TIA!

RT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We moved here from Nassau County as well.

You really don't have to do anything on the NY end. Simply tell them you won't be back next year and they will know to start getting your "stuff" ready. You don't have to be that specific with WCPSS - simply put "June 2016" or whatever the last day of school is, even if you are able to enroll them before that because you have a contract on a house or a lease. Trust me, wcpss has seen it all when it comes to enrolling kids from elsewhere, including overseas. You're not going to stump them.

You'll fill out the enrollment paperwork for WCPSS and bring it to your base school. They will get your children's records from NY. You should bring the last report card with you, even if it's quarter 3 report card.

There is no "pre-enrolling". You'll need a lease or a contract to buy a house to enroll your child. It doesn't have to be done that far in advance of the first day of school.

If your kids go to YR tracks 1,2,3 start July 11 it looks like.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We moved here from Nassau County as well.

You really don't have to do anything on the NY end. Simply tell them you won't be back next year and they will know to start getting your "stuff" ready. You don't have to be that specific with WCPSS - simply put "June 2016" or whatever the last day of school is, even if you are able to enroll them before that because you have a contract on a house or a lease. Trust me, wcpss has seen it all when it comes to enrolling kids from elsewhere, including overseas. You're not going to stump them.

You'll fill out the enrollment paperwork for WCPSS and bring it to your base school. They will get your children's records from NY. You should bring the last report card with you, even if it's quarter 3 report card.

There is no "pre-enrolling". You'll need a lease or a contract to buy a house to enroll your child. It doesn't have to be done that far in advance of the first day of school.

If your kids go to YR tracks 1,2,3 start July 11 it looks like.
Don't forget immunization records.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Don't forget immunization records.
The enrollment packet lists everything one needs to enroll and what needs to be done. I'm sure OP can figure it out from here. And I'll add the medical requirements to enroll in WCPSS are not nearly as onerous as NY which requires a medical exam every other year till middle school.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM

57 posts, read 50,005 times
Yes, the website says to have birth certificate and immunization record ready in addition to the enrollment packet and lease/purchase agreement, so I think I'm good to go - just have to finalize on a house (this month hopefully!) and inform the school here in NY.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
An offer to purchase is only valid for existing WCPSS students moving from school to school. You'll need to provide a signed lease or current gas/water/electric bill if coming from outside WCPSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary