Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,621 times

Advertisements

Hello, guys,

Can you please help me to find a cheap car insurance plan for me? I know nothing about car insurance in the US. What I know is it will be expensive, especially if you do not have a driving experience.
I am a new international student at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. I do not have a driving license, neither driving experience. But I am planning to get my driving license soon.
I am 26 years old graduate student. I am in the US till 2011 may. So, I need some cheap plan which I can afford. I do not need plans which give me discount or special offers after some time, since I am not here for long time.

Is there any special discount or cheap plans for foreign residents or students?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 50,771 times
try some local insurance agents.Make an appointment and talk to them.They might quote less. Try contacting 2 to 3 agents before coming to a decision.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
I do not what the rates might be for an international driver, but I do know most insurance companies have a "new driver" surcharge for the first couple of years after one gets a drivers license, which can significantly increase your premium. Call a local agent with any of the major insurance companies like State Farm or Allstate - they can give you plenty of information.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM

116 posts, read 326,178 times
I would also suggest checking out Farm Bureau and Liberty Mutual.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM

240 posts, read 559,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC-Chapel Hill View Post
Hello, guys,

Can you please help me to find a cheap car insurance plan for me? I know nothing about car insurance in the US. What I know is it will be expensive, especially if you do not have a driving experience.
I am a new international student at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. I do not have a driving license, neither driving experience. But I am planning to get my driving license soon.
I am 26 years old graduate student. I am in the US till 2011 may. So, I need some cheap plan which I can afford. I do not need plans which give me discount or special offers after some time, since I am not here for long time.

Is there any special discount or cheap plans for foreign residents or students?

Thank you very much.

I wouldn't know what to tell you there. North Carolina does have some pretty high insurance rates compared to other states. The best thing to do would be to look into several companies and choose the one with the best rates that will fit your budget and needs. I would recommend State Farm. The special offers will also be a good thing to mention when you go shopping around. Basically, tell them everything you've mentioned (i.e. that you want such and such plan, etc.) With inexperienced drivers, it may be more though, but, I am uncertain. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 11,621 times
Thank you all very much.

Can you please provide car insurance agents location address or web sites of any you recommended at Chapel Hill?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
If you go to the insurance company websites, they usually have a "find an agent" search function.

I know there is one on Allstate's website, for example.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I wouldn't know what to tell you there. North Carolina does have some pretty high insurance rates compared to other states. The best thing to do would be to look into several companies and choose the one with the best rates that will fit your budget and needs. I would recommend State Farm. The special offers will also be a good thing to mention when you go shopping around. Basically, tell them everything you've mentioned (i.e. that you want such and such plan, etc.) With inexperienced drivers, it may be more though, but, I am uncertain. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Actually North Carolina has some of the cheaper insurance rates in the US. The most recent data I could find with a quick search was 2005. The average cost in the US was 949. North Carolina was 731. Only 5 states had lower rates than NC. I am sure things have changed a little bit but NC usually has cheap rates.

http://www.naic.org/documents/resear...ase_sample.pdf

Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,805,568 times
NC insurance is so cheap that I pay less than half here for the same 2 vehicles than I did in maryland. My cost in MD was about 190 a month for me and the wife and her Hyundai and my Ford Truck. now I pay 92 a month same coverage, same insurance company.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
Default Car insurance help

We have been in the process of finding my daughter auto insurance and we have found that a lot of places are way more than we want to pay and can afford. I have been doing research around town and on the web and came across this site that was very informative in finding cheaper auto insurance for my daughter who is also a student. I hope it helps.

[url]http://www.carinsurancestudent.net[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary