Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 66,695 times

Advertisements

Ok i bought house now I need some suggestions. Ok first let me give you a little you a little info. I have 3 children ages 5, 2 and 4 months. I want to get hardwood or look alike floors. I don't know if I should get hardwood or Pergo floors. The floors would not be through my entire house, just the living room, dining room and foyer. There probably want be that much traffic in that area because we would use the gargage entrance. The way to upstairs would be carpet. I hear some say Pergo scatches very easily others say it's so durable. Doesn't it depend on the quality of the Pergo or what. Thank you in advance for your responds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 PM

217 posts, read 800,085 times
We had mohawk laminate flooring (wood lookalike) in our house that we just sold and we have 2 kids/2 cats/1 dog and never got any scratches. I will say however that we only had it about 5 months then we sold the house and moved. It also went in really fast. We put it in a 1550sft home and they did it in two days.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChopeful View Post
I hear some say Pergo scatches very easily others say it's so durable. Doesn't it depend on the quality of the Pergo or what. Thank you in advance for your responds
We installed Pergo laminate floors in our last house about 5 years ago. The stuff was indestructable. We have 2 dogs. We installed it throughout the living area, foyer, and 2 hallways. It was a very dark oak (Allegheny Red Oak was the color) in a wide-plank design.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
You will be happier with a wood product. Not laminate. Pergo and other brands are LOUD. Since they are a floating floor the noise level is a nightmare. Go with a manufactured wood. Anderson makes some nice ones as does Mannington. Make sure the finish has aluminum oxide in it and you should be good to go. You will also get more value out of them for resale than you would a laminate.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Another vote for hardwood floors, not laminates. IMO, they look nicer. And if they get dinged up or scratched, you can refinish them. And with all those young children, the will get dinged up. Plus, I think they will have a higher resale value - at least, I would prefer to have a home with wood floors vs. a laminate. But I'm biased - my last two homes have had hardwood floors.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
Go with the hardwood. When I show clients homes, more people prefer hardwoods. If a home has laminate flooring, buyers that I have experienced usually say that they would prefer hardwood.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
I agree with those who said to go with hardwood. It looks much nicer.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Hardwood does look nicer.. but I will say that the hardwood foyer in my home has some scratches due to my dogs. It's happened even though they don't really run on it (they don't like the feel of it, so usually walk on the runner). Now since you have kids not dogs, you would probably be okay with hardwoods.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Pergo cleans like a DREAM and is really hard to scratch. You can take a chunk out of it, though, if you drop something heavy/hard.

What about bamboo? That seems to be the new "thing."

Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChopeful View Post
Ok i bought house now I need some suggestions. Ok first let me give you a little you a little info. I have 3 children ages 5, 2 and 4 months. I want to get hardwood or look alike floors. I don't know if I should get hardwood or Pergo floors. The floors would not be through my entire house, just the living room, dining room and foyer. There probably want be that much traffic in that area because we would use the gargage entrance. The way to upstairs would be carpet. I hear some say Pergo scatches very easily others say it's so durable. Doesn't it depend on the quality of the Pergo or what. Thank you in advance for your responds
I have pergo in my house, because of two little dogs running around. If I had, had the money I would have bought hardwoods. I think they sound so much better, and feel better. Pergo has a kind of bouncy feel to it. Don't get me wrong, if you cannot afford hardwoods, pergo is still wonderful, easy to keep clean and VERY durable.
Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary