U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM

25 posts, read 34,369 times
Default Alligators in N. Carolina?

I will be moving to the triangle area in January and the sub we may be moving to has a large pond with some brown water. I know this may be a silly question, but do alligators inhabit lakes and ponds in the triangle area? I know some have been spotted in the southern coastal areas of NC according to some research I have done, but has anyone seen them while canoeing or fishing? How about water mocasons? I like canoeing with my son but just want to stay safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM

10,354 posts, read 17,413,853 times
I have a small pond (although they call it a lake) at my 2nd home in Southport, NC.

We have an alligator!

Vicki

Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM

7,362 posts, read 14,269,830 times
NOT in the triangle. In the southern part of the state they're pretty common. In the triangle you don't have to worry at all.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:14 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,930,524 times
I don't think you have to worry about finding one in your neighborhood but they have been spotted as far north as Lillington (although rarely) - that's only about 20 miles from Raleigh.
Alligator captured in Harnett County :: WRAL.com

Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 AM

152 posts, read 366,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
I don't think you have to worry about finding one in your neighborhood but they have been spotted as far north as Lillington (although rarely) - that's only about 20 miles from Raleigh.
Alligator captured in Harnett County :: WRAL.com
Wow. I think you're rather safe in the triangle and in subdivisions. Must be a large lake to go canoeing in.

Funny thing, well not really funny, more eye opening...the article above is from last year and says its the 2nd time one was caught in Harnett County in almost as much time. Guess the gator population is having a tough time too, having to travel far & wide for food.

I've seen them often by the coast...when on Bald Head Island, DH & hubby had to wait some time to finish playing a hole on the green. But that is totally expected in that setting. Not so much in the triangle area.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 AM

640 posts, read 817,339 times
reminds me of what a realtor told my wife and I while researching retirement area's in southwest Florida. We were really concerned about the gator population there as you saw them often, especially in the river communities we were looking at. His answer to our concern was "you would be better served to worry about lightning and fire ants than gators" ..... gators were pretty much a non issue for local residents if you used common sense.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:38 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,982,535 times
No alligators but the occasional UFlorida Gator makes an appearance from time to time J/K

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM

10,354 posts, read 17,413,853 times
My aunt lives in Boca Raton in Florida and has a first floor condo, with a pond in her backyard. She has come home many times to find a gator "sunning" on her patio! That would be RARE in NC. I'd worry about other things, like the mosquitoes!

Vicki

Old 10-30-2009, 08:32 AM

121 posts, read 247,697 times
Neither alligators nor water moccasins/cottonmouths are a native inhabitant of the Triangle area.
Some people claim to have seen cottonmouths, but 99.9% of the time it is a non-venomous water snake.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 AM

3,591 posts, read 3,839,833 times
Gators are not "normally" found in the triangle. They are east of us in coastal areas and found in rivers, and ponds close to rivers in that area. They certainly could travel up the Neuse River which runs thru here, but it's highly unlikely. The only gator story I've heard of in the 35 yrs I've lived here occured in Hedingham subdivision, I used to live across from the neighborhood. The gator, "Wally" lived in a pond surrounded by homes and bordering the Neuse river. He was pretty reclusive, and trappers worked for weeks to try to catch him. Not sure if they ever did(?). My oldest daughter who was a young teen at that time, remembers months earlier when she and her friends would see him at a different pond between Hedingham and Foxcroft subdiv. It seems the kids were playing with him..they'd tease him, and feed him (from us parents' freezers). So, unless Wally surfaces again, I think you're safe from gators

The news isn't so good for water moccasins (cotton mouth). They are common in this area- as are copperhead snakes. However, unless you get up close to them, step on then, or they feel threatened, they won't strike you. We have them in my neighborhood as we have a few ponds. I am off 64E/New Bern near Knighdale between I-440/540. Recently, my dog disturbed a cotton mouth in the natural area surrounding our pond. Thank goodness it was a baby (12-14") because it struck her on the nose, she had a mild reaction but was fine. The snake, it was the first one that's hissed at me -it's now in snake heaven Here's an infomative piece on them Is it Really a Water Moccasin?

My friend who canoes the Neuse near our subdivision, say's he often see snakes when he's out there, but has never had a problem. When I first moved here I was terrified of snakes. But, after having to rescue two dogs from them and living around them for so long, my fears have gone. You are fine as long as you back away and leave them alone. The thing you have to look out for in this area is a wayward deer Development is driving them out of their habitat. One ran in front of my car in Wake Forest this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary