U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,473,637 times
Sort of a side note/thought, but having a lot of colleges around doesn't equal "educated" except in a very narrow sense. ie "educated" doesn't necessarily mean intelligent or "wise" - and I have not noticed any correlation to having a higher concentration of colleges around and the people being wiser.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM

768 posts, read 770,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
ApexIntruder,
Thanks for your response. I am wondering if there is alot of anger or prejudicesness towards Whites by African Americans? What about public schools where there is a mix of Blacks and Whites? Do the kids get along?
Young children really don't care about race...all they care about is having friends with similar interests. You could be green and it wouldn't matter as long as your fun. And that's the way it should be!

I really would like to understand what you are trying to ask. In one of your other posts you wanted to know if there were a lot of NY's here and where they moved to. Then once you got the answer you said that you wouldn't move there. So do you want to find a place where race is not an issue or are you really looking for a place that is segregated. What are your REAL concerns?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 AM

931 posts, read 1,747,186 times
I think race relations are as good here as anywhere, and better than some places. I experienced more racism visiting Baltimore than I have my entire life here.

As far as kids getting along, in my neighborhood the kids all seem to get along. I live next door to a middle school and see a lot of mixed race groups of kids. When my son started preschool there was an issue with a little boy that didn't want to play with him because he was different. I guess he'd never been around kids that weren't his own race, or maybe he heard his parents being hateful. Thankfully those instances are few and far between. My son's kindergarten class is a rainbow of races. No problems there.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
I have to say the Wake County schools are outstanding. Our first year here my daughter was in a school play at her ITB magnet school. The subject was cats and dogs getting along. About half way through I realized it was a play about desegregation. I turned to my (African American) neighbor (I am white) and said, "I am so glad to see this school talking about race relations." We smiled and that was it.

My biggest concern is the new school board members will find ways to break down the diversity in our schools. Hope that doesn't happen.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM

40 posts, read 77,545 times
People historically classified as "black" or "white" are becoming a smaller part of the population. This is very apparent in the triangle with its influx of immigrants from outside the state and the country too, driven by the technology and university presence.

My immediate neighbors are: chinese, indian, white, mixed(black+asian) and black. I don't think there is any trace of the typical "black/white relations" you are asking about - either "good" or "bad".

What I would say - if I was forced to make generalizations - is that families are a lot more different culturally here, and because the area is in general not very densely populated (suburbs, etc) - people tend to stick to their own culture group. This is especially true given people can find "their own kind" online, and connect with others across the city, instead of their immediate neighbors. Contrast with something like NYC, where people are living on top of each other, they are forced to mingle somewhat.

On the other hand, certain aspects cross race and bring people together - we all live in a suburb with similar economics - similar jobs, people raise their children, go to school, root for the Canes. We're all Americans after all. It brings us together.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,051,482 times
When my Asian daughter came here in sixth grade, I was afraid she wouldn't have many friends because she didn't have any "history" with other kids.

The very first year, she was voted middle school president(!) in a school that was probably 40% black and 60% white and many Asians. I figured white kids might have thought of her as sort of white, and black kids might have thought of her as a minority. Or maybe they just accepted her as the great kid she was.

I was happy things were working out so well.

She said that as high school progressed, however, nearly everyone broke off into groups by race. She ended up with mostly Asian friends and a few white friends. She said it was not uncommon to hear racial slurs on all sides. She never told me these things until long after she graduated; she knew I would have been very upset.

This was about ten years ago. I wonder if it's any different.

I attended a high school that was almost all white, yet kids still found a way to segregate themselves into groups of one sort or another.

I am shocked at the responses on this board. Apparently, there is an undercurrent of racial tension I'm not aware of. I'm glad I haven't experienced it. I hope I never do.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,214 times
it depends on the neighborhood and the area

Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 AM

906 posts, read 1,404,572 times
I have noticed that there is much less overt racism here than there was back in the midwest. At least in the middle class neighborhoods that I have lived in here in North Raleigh. Nobody freaks out when a black family moves onto their street. Its a non-issue.

Quote:
I am wondering if there is alot of anger or prejudicesness towards Whites by African Americans? What about public schools where there is a mix of Blacks and Whites? Do the kids get along?
We are experiencing this for the first time now that my son is middle school. His elementary schools have been mixed both racially and socio-economically and there was never an issue. His middle school is about 50% black and less than 25% white and he is starting to experience a little bit of racial tension. At lunch 2 black boys sit at his table every once in a while. They steal food from the white kids' plates (usually cookies) and then tell them that they are trying to teach them a lesson. "Black people are better at stealing than white people because the white people don't know how to watch their stuff". "You know that we used to be your slaves so you gotta pay us back somehow".

As a parent my first thought is that I don't want my son hearing this kind of crap. My second thought is how sad for those particular boys that they are in 6th grade and they already have this attitude. They obviously need some positive role models and I worry that they won't get far in life with that attitude. I do find that economic status plays a part in this as well as race. My son has friends at school who are black but they are mostly coming from a similar middle class background and are in the same advanced classes that he is. (Of course, that opens up a whole other issue with the recent revelations that WCPSS is only placing about 40% of the academically qualified black students in the advanced classes).

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

23,662 posts, read 19,229,387 times
Remember individual relationships are different from group relationships. Your life is a series of individual relationships and group relationships are often the meat of sociologist and tv shows. What your life will be like here while influenced by group dynamics will be more a function of you. Like I said the closer this thread gets to 8 pages the broader the range of responses and the greater insight into how people respond to this topic and question? This is a very valid question and I suspect 90% of African Americans inquire about the overall climate before locating here. I can only surmise for African Americans but suspect other minorities do also unless they are expecting to live in an enclave.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,532 times
Heres my experiance. I live in an area that is mostly AA. I am one of maybe 2 Caucasian family's on our street. Most of the older AA are very nice and we get along great. BUT, I cant stand this neighborhood because some of the more ignorant young family's. I will get yelled at from accross the street asking "Hey white boy, can I get a cig?" I just kind of ignore it because it seems really disrespectful. Also, we often hear the young kids that hang out on the street asking "What are those crackers doing over there?" (This was when we started building a privacy fence in our backyard). Several of these family's live around me that do this, but i'm pretty sure its not the majority of the neighborhood, but its enough that me and my wife definitly dont want to live here long. I don't walk outside and disrespect them, so I expect the same. Maybe thats just how they were raised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary