Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean8642 View Post
Heres my experiance. I live in an area that is mostly AA. I am one of maybe 2 Caucasian family's on our street. Most of the older AA are very nice and we get along great. BUT, I cant stand this neighborhood because some of the more ignorant young family's. I will get yelled at from accross the street asking "Hey white boy, can I get a cig?" I just kind of ignore it because it seems really disrespectful. Also, we often hear the young kids that hang out on the street asking "What are those crackers doing over there?" (This was when we started building a privacy fence in our backyard). Several of these family's live around me that do this, but i'm pretty sure its not the majority of the neighborhood, but its enough that me and my wife definitly dont want to live here long. I don't walk outside and disrespect them, so I expect the same. Maybe thats just how they were raised...
I came across this thread and your post today...I'm in the exact opposite situation---my wife, my mom-in-law, and I live in Middletown Oh, and we are one the few black families in our neighborhood...we have had nothing but extra-pleasant relations with our neighbors in the 3 years we've been there...

That being said, I hope that you and your wife don't let the actions of a few lowlife idiots and their kids (yep---I said it LOL) either give you a bad taste in your mouth when it comes to dealing with black folk, or become the catalyst for you eventually wanting to leave your neighborhood...you may be correct in your assumption about the way they were raised, however, that doesn't let their parents off the hook nor does it excuse their kids' tacky, silly behavior, either

I see stuff like that all the time, and god bless my wife for being there to hold me back and keep me from cussing the black off their a**es...I mean, this is 2009, and you're still acting like you're auditioning for 'Stupid Negro Tricks' on BET? Get a grip already

Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 PM

28 posts, read 136,766 times
I've lived in Wake Forest for the last 4 years, and my experience has been mostly that race relations are very easy. I'm white, so I obviously don't have the same opportunity to experience racism, but even those people who will tell racist jokes when they're drinking with other white men have very good manners in mixed company.

My neighborhood is fairly proportionally integrated. A black family rents the house I lived in, and I think they get along with everyone fine. I think the antagonism between races here is similar to that between religions, and between political persuasions. It's not non-existent, but it's just another way of classifying and separating people.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Our apt community near Triangle Town Center is about evenly divided between Caucasian, AA, and Hispanic.

We all get along fine.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:23 AM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
For what it's worth:

In terms of white/black relations, I've found Raleigh to be much more integrated and tolerant than Los Angeles. I live in a racially diverse neighborhood and really enjoy where I live.

However, the growing Hispanic population isn't nearly as accepted, but that will come with time.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 AM

28 posts, read 136,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
For what it's worth:

In terms of white/black relations, I've found Raleigh to be much more integrated and tolerant than Los Angeles. I live in a racially diverse neighborhood and really enjoy where I live.

However, the growing Hispanic population isn't nearly as accepted, but that will come with time.
I disagree to some extent. I lived in LA and found middle class racism undetectable (to my admittedly white self). Lower class racism was worse, but I never met someone who there would tell racist jokes to strangers.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 AM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
I found LA to be quite segregated socioeconomically and racially

South LA
East LA
Glendale
West LA

I'm much happier and more comfortable with the socioeconomic and racial diversity of Raleigh, but that's just me.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 AM

74 posts, read 203,654 times
There is no such thing as race relations - it's called human relations. Treat people they way you want to be treated and you'll be fine.

Me - 32 yo black woman from NJ/DC and living in Wake Forest. If I can do it, so can you.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
It drives me nuts when ppl stereotype. I judge every person as an individual. IMHIO, I don't have a problem with inter-racial relationships. It's a shame what happened to the OP son at school and I think this is where stereotyping comes in. My DH grew up in a poor area and he classifies certain races in certain ways b/c of the way he was treated or others acted. Not that he is predjudice, it's just what he experienced while growing up. We have black friends, white friends, Asian friends, Spanish friends, and many more. My point being is accept ppl for who they are, not their race.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Everyone kind to each other there?
How about these two questions:

How are White/White relations in the Triangle? Kind to each other?

How are Black/Black relations in the Triangle? Kind to each other?

Which relations are the best?

Black/White
Black/Black
White/White

Some other race relation questions?
Do White Conservatives like White Liberals are they kind to each other?
Do Black Liberals like Black Conservatives are they kind to each other?

Are any or all kind to each other?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM

92 posts, read 103,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesheal View Post
I'm white, so I obviously don't have the same opportunity to experience racism
that depends on exactly where you live. there is plenty of racism to go around for everyone. it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary