Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM

306 posts, read 883,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2moove View Post
Also, I have personally found such practitioners to place a premium on time with their patients and schedule accordingly, leaving me plenty of time to display my homemade hemp shoes and whatnot.
HA!

I can also relate to what the OP is concerned about. When we first moved here, I met with one Dr. from Triangle Peds in Cary... he told me if I didn't listen to everything he said, that it meant I didn't trust him and he couldn't treat us. I told him he was right and walked out. It's not easy to find a dr. who listens and respects their patients concerns - I wish you good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,874 times
I did some looking around on the AP board I post on and this is the current list of crunchy or slightly soggy/ AP friendly doctors in the triangle:

Quote:
Dr. Pickens University Pediatrics at Chapel Hill North 1838 Martin Luther King J, Chapel Hill, NC (919) 960-5154

Lakewood Pediatric & Family Medicine Dr. Poorvi Shah 220-3333 (near Durham Regional) The perks: great diversity (ethnic, socioeconomic) of patients & staff/docs AND 3 of the 4 docs are double-board certified in both adult and pediatric medicine (the best version of a family doc!) so the whole family can see the same docs.4303 Roxboro Rd, Durham

University Pediatrics at Highgate 5322 Highgate Drive Suite 144, Durham, NC 27713 (919) 806-3335 Specifically Drs Kwee and Kirsch.

Dr. Minozzi, over in Chapel Hill, at Chapel Hill Children's Clinic.

We really like Dr. Fennell at Sunrise Pediatrics, located in Raleigh, almost right across from the NC Museum of Art (close to Cary).

Cindy Young from Cary Healthcare Associates is a great family practitioner. Takes care of mamas and their children. Dr. Young is a member of the Triangle API group. triangleapi.org site and co-sleeps, extended breastfeeds, did a home birth..
Hope this helps you and your family. There's also an open thread searching for an EBF friendly dental practice. It's not been replied to yet but I'll edit this post when it is if you'd like. {for those of you playing along at home, non AP/EBF friendly dentists often tell mamas to wean babies at six months to prevent dental problems, or otherwise blame any and all dental issues, even genetic ones, on breastfeeding}

Oh and I recommend the Triangle API group, they have been super-helpful in answering all of my questions and thoughts even though we're a good year or two out from moving and not sure if we'll even end up in NC or not.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 PM

70 posts, read 327,394 times
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
Just curious - why would any doctor freak out if you mentioned you were making your own baby food?
Well, the doctor we currently go to in Raleigh freaked out because 1) there is no iron fortification in homemade foods 2) he was concerned about salmonella, and 3) he just wanted to know "Why?" I would do that. I was really taken aback that it was a big issue that I wanted to make my child fresh food that I knew where it came from and he would prefer I feed them something from a box or a jar. I had no idea it would be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Most could care less about your diapers unless your baby has diaper rash.
They however do not have time to listen to a mom's bragging about
her homemade baby food recipes ,organic baby soap, and
furniture from recycled products.
It never fails they comment on the diapers. Which is all fine and good, but the doctors I go to have a way of making cloth diapering seem like it's the weirdest thing ever.

And, for the record, I didn't bring up the homemade food. The doctor asked, "Are you feeding your child iron-fortified cereal?" My answer was, "No, I am making homemade food and we are supplementing with vitamins w/iron." Which opened a whole new can of worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2moove View Post
I see Dr. Cynthia Young (who I "met" on an AP board). A very crunchy friend of mine takes her kids to see Dr. Young and has been happy with the care they've gotten since infancy. My kids see Dr. Ramsdell, but she is not accepting new patients at this time.

Not sure how the comment about a mom bragging about her homemade baby food contributed to the conversation. Perhaps that person had a failed recycled furniture project that is still too painful to discuss... As a parent who deviates from mainstream parenting, I have first-hand experience with the sort of freaking out the OP suggested. Finding practitioners who are open minded and focused on the medical care instead of parenting theory is helpful for some parents. Also, I have personally found such practitioners to place a premium on time with their patients and schedule accordingly, leaving me plenty of time to display my homemade hemp shoes and whatnot.
The hemp shoes comment just cracked me up! Thanks for the comments...glad to know someone else knows what it's like. It's hard for the people who are completely mainstream to understand, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
HA!

I can also relate to what the OP is concerned about. When we first moved here, I met with one Dr. from Triangle Peds in Cary... he told me if I didn't listen to everything he said, that it meant I didn't trust him and he couldn't treat us. I told him he was right and walked out. It's not easy to find a dr. who listens and respects their patients concerns - I wish you good luck!
This, exactly! When we asked for information about a delayed shots schedule at our current peds because we have a nephew who is autistic and we were concerned and simply wanted more information, the doctor said that all of their patients were vaxed and if we were choosing not to, then we needed to find another practice. We were only asking for information!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
I did some looking around on the AP board I post on and this is the current list of crunchy or slightly soggy/ AP friendly doctors in the triangle:

Hope this helps you and your family. There's also an open thread searching for an EBF friendly dental practice. It's not been replied to yet but I'll edit this post when it is if you'd like. {for those of you playing along at home, non AP/EBF friendly dentists often tell mamas to wean babies at six months to prevent dental problems, or otherwise blame any and all dental issues, even genetic ones, on breastfeeding}

Oh and I recommend the Triangle API group, they have been super-helpful in answering all of my questions and thoughts even though we're a good year or two out from moving and not sure if we'll even end up in NC or not.
Wow! Lots of good info! Thanks! And yes, I'd love to know about the dental stuff, too. I didn't even know that could potentially be an issue, so if we can head that off ahead of time, that'd be great!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 PM

153 posts, read 860,588 times
What does "crunchy" mean when referring to a pediatrician?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,059 times
Doctors are trained based on studies and proven facts. If you bring up a topic that they have limited knowledge in, they will not approve nor disapprove it, unless they have history or experience in that field. Those older are going to know more since they have been around longer and seen more.

In this day and age of legalese, where you can be sued for doing/saying and not doing/saying things, doctors have to be particularly careful. Also, family doctors are unfortunately a dwindling breed. Due to liability and costs, many new MDs see a better life specializing in a high paying field, than in family medicine or ambulatory care.

If you find someone/doc who takes their time listening to your hemp shoe story, then you are likely delaying someone in the waiting room. Do health care a favor, stop the chit-chat and let the doctor do their job without distractions, else they might bill you at a higher level.

On the flip side, as a patient or parent of a patient, you can chose which Dr. you go to. If they give you ultimatums and tell you what to do on simple issues, instead of advise you (unless it is serious), go somewhere else next time.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
On the flip side, as a patient or parent of a patient, you can chose which Dr. you go to. If they give you ultimatums and tell you what to do on simple issues, instead of advise you (unless it is serious), go somewhere else next time.
This is exactly why I posted.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
What I meant by it was a doctor that was knowledgable about medical issues outside of the mainstream: breastfeeding issues, delayed vaccine schedules, etc. and also one who would not treat patients differently because of atypical parenting choices.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Urban Dictionary: crunchy

Old 10-31-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Cool link! Definition #1

Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,885 times
Yes, I know how doctors are trained. But you would be surprised by how many doctors don't use evidence based practices -- especially when it comes to things like breastfeeding, circumcision, and vaccines. Sometimes they are influenced by their own personal experience or their spouse's. And those sales reps from the formula and pharma companies are an influence. They have provided pediatricians a year's worth of formula for free for their own children. And they have paid for holiday parties at hospitals. It's a bad influence and a conflict of interest. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that since Dr Young is my primary and Dr Ramsdell is my childrens' pediatrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Doctors are trained based on studies and proven facts. If you bring up a topic that they have limited knowledge in, they will not approve nor disapprove it, unless they have history or experience in that field. Those older are going to know more since they have been around longer and seen more.

In this day and age of legalese, where you can be sued for doing/saying and not doing/saying things, doctors have to be particularly careful. Also, family doctors are unfortunately a dwindling breed. Due to liability and costs, many new MDs see a better life specializing in a high paying field, than in family medicine or ambulatory care.

If you find someone/doc who takes their time listening to your hemp shoe story, then you are likely delaying someone in the waiting room. Do health care a favor, stop the chit-chat and let the doctor do their job without distractions, else they might bill you at a higher level.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary