Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I have read through past threads on this topic, but was hoping for some more suggestions. My wife and I have family coming this weekend and we need to find something to do to entertain our 7 y/o niece. Although I am a fan of museums we are looking for something no-educational so museums / exploris are out.

I have read a lot about Frankie’s Fun Park. Is that still a cool place? We had something like that in NJ but it was pretty old and in a decline so it was kind of depressing. I am hoping Frankie’s is a bit newer. Has anybody been there lately?

I was also thinking of Pullen Park. Don't they have a train there or something? Is there any public pool we could go to for the day?

If anybody can think of things to do with a 7 y/o in the Raleigh or Wake forest (We are trying to stick close to home) please let me know. Anything that involves water / pool would be a huge plus. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Frankie's is fun, gave me a headache, but my kids loved it! It is well maintained, a tad expensive, but has inside games and then outside activities (some water things).

Pools do not open until memorial day, so that is out.

I know this weekend they are having something at the factory in wake forest, family fun day. There is a 5k race (sponsored by the rotary club) and they are going to have other activities as well. I believe it starts at 10am. The website for the factory is eatshopplay.com

I don't know of anything else off of the top of my head........ I know I will be at a soccer game and buying tickets to the dancing with the stars show that is coming to town on June 30, I know everyone is jealous! Seriously, my 5 and 3 year old are obsessed with the show........'

Leigh

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Thanks Leigh! I will look into the factory. I have seen that place mentioned before here but have never been there. Definitely worth a closer look thanks!

Not to get too far of topic, but my wife and I are fans of Dancing with Stars too. We have been thinking about getting tickets as well, but with family here that day it may be tough to do.

By the Way my prediction is the final two will be Apollo Anton Ono Vs. Laila Ali

I think it will be tough to call a winner between the two. Should be interesting!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
The factory should be a fun place to take your niece, lots to do (ice skating tends to be popular) plus there is a pizza place there - service is slow, a mexicanish place, and the village deli (which I love). She should be happy at least for an hour or two!

Dancing.........well, it just makes me laugh that my 5 year old said "mom can you believe that billy ray and karina got voted out". I keep thinking who are you and why do you actually understand this! She definitely likes the women and their dresses..........

We have to go to the show or my kids will be devastated, and I agree with apollo and leila, should be interesting!

Leigh

Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I don't know if this will help but my kids loved going to CiCi's for lunch. They also loved going to Sonic Drive-in. We're relocating from the New York area and although they've seen commercials for both of these places on the various kids cable networks, they didn't have the chance to indulge until we started visiting Raleigh.

Also, although this falls outside your preferred range, our kids (10 and 7) loved the Kids Together playground in Cary. I thought it was a bit basic but they had a blast and it remains one of our highlights from the many trips to the area.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
NRG,

Cheap stuff good for all ages in good weather:
The Fair Grounds Flea Market until she is bored. Then some good fudge or ice cream.
Lake Johnson, walk the footbridge and watch the turtles sun. Maybe rent a canoe...if the boathouse is open.

Let me take her off your hands for the afternoon, and I'll bring her back with her first tattoo. How about Dumbo with Snakes coming out his eyes?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
This may be off the wall a bit but me and DH saw this show once before and loved it. It's for all ages and kids would love it. It's the paperhand puppet intervention company and they basically do dance and acting with these huge paper machet puppets and costumes set to live music and voice overs. It's really awesome and interesting. It's at the Raleigh little theatre on Saturday evening.
Here is the info: http://www.paperhand.org/gotw.htm (broken link)

Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 PM

56 posts, read 404,173 times
I did not realize there was a Frankie's Fun Park. There is another Frankie's in Irmo, SC. I second about how expensive it. I have found Chuck E Cheese to be less expensive than Frankie's. There is a Chuck E Cheese's in Raleigh/Durham, right?

What about ice skating? I know there is ice skating in one or a couple of the Charlotte malls, so there should be ice skating available in Raleigh, imo.

We hope y'all have a wonderful and fun-filled weekend.

For the dancers, check out and join Dancing Homeschool's group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancinghomeschool .

mshs2

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the recommendations! I noticed a few of you mentioned that Frankie's can be expensive. Is there an admission price on top of a per ride price? Just curious how expensive it can be.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:53 PM

360 posts, read 721,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshs2 View Post
I did not realize there was a Frankie's Fun Park. There is another Frankie's in Irmo, SC. I second about how expensive it. I have found Chuck E Cheese to be less expensive than Frankie's. There is a Chuck E Cheese's in Raleigh/Durham, right?

What about ice skating? I know there is ice skating in one or a couple of the Charlotte malls, so there should be ice skating available in Raleigh, imo.

We hope y'all have a wonderful and fun-filled weekend.

For the dancers, check out and join Dancing Homeschool's group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dancinghomeschool .

mshs2

There is a Chuck E Cheese off of Capital Blvd in Raleigh. There are also plenty of ice rinks in Raleigh and we continue to gain more as our NHL team gains popularity. Here is a site with a few of our rinks: http://www.insiderpages.com/s/NC/Ral...ceSkatingRinks

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary