U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,556,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
adlnc07 has it right....but that doesn't mean your child won't go to a great school.
True.. I should have also said that I don't think any of the schools in Cary or Apex would be considered "bad." I know people seemed quite happy with the elementary schools in Apex, and that my current neighborhood has good schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM

203 posts, read 288,791 times
I live in Cary Park, which is assigned to Mills Park Elementary, a year round school adjacent to the neighborhood. Mills Park just opened last year, and is already a School of Excellence, one of 12 in Wake County to receive that status. We love the school!

Some of the kids in our neighborhood chose to stay at their previous school, Highcroft, another great year round school, located in the middle of Highcroft neighborhood. I've heard wonderful things about Highcroft.

Close by, we also have Cedar Fork, Carpenter (year round), Green Hope, and Davis Drive. Alston Ridge is opening in the fall. Honestly, if you want to be in Wake County, you don't have to worry about a commute, you want to be near RDU, and you want to ensure a great elementary school, NW and West Cary are excellent areas.

Unread 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

513 posts, read 629,253 times
I just typed out a list of schools for a friend of mine, so I'll just copy and paste it here. YR means year-round and T is for traditional.

I would look for a house that was districted for one of the following schools:

Morrisville Elementary - 2009 Honor School of Excellence (YR)
Highcroft Drive Elementary - 2009 Honor School of Excellence (YR)
Green Hope Elementary - 2009 School of Distinction (is currently YR, but will switch to Traditional next year)
Mills Park Elementary - 2009 Honor School of Excellence (YR)
Salem Elementary - 2009 School of Distinction (YR)
Davis Drive - 2009 Honor School of Excellence (T)
Laurel Park Elementary - 2009 School of Distinction (YR)
Turner Creek Elementary - 2009 Honor School of Excellence (YR)
Carpenter Elementary - 2009 School of Distinction (YR)

Given your budget and requirements for a house, I'd recommend looking in the following neighborhoods:

Amberly
Cary Park
Stonewater
Highcroft
Carpenter Village
Brookstone
WestPark

Most of those neighborhoods won't offer you .25 acres, but they have everything else you want. And in Cary Park, Highcroft and Carpenter Village, the chances of being rezoned to a different school are fairly low because the school is in the neighborhood.

I'm a single mom with two children (also moved here from NY), and my oldest attended Highcroft for kindergarten and Morrisville for 1st and 2nd grade (we moved). I've been happy with both schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary