Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,599 times

Advertisements

I was just curious - I see different cars that look like they are driving children to school - are these designated for kids with special needs?

are these people hired by the school districts? any clairifcation appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
I don't know about driving to school, but many after school programs (churches, etc.) pick up from the schools and may use cars and vans.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,238 times
Are they cars or small vans? What do they say on them (if anything)?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't know about driving to school, but many after school programs (churches, etc.) pick up from the schools and may use cars and vans.
Many child care facilities also offer before school programs for parents who need to be at work early in the morning.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM

273 posts, read 911,778 times
Many of the private transportation services I see in the West Cary area are privately contracted by the Wake Co School Transportation Dept to pickup/deliver children with special transportation needs or who are going to special programs that are not always located at every school. While some have special needs others are just in nodes that are efficient to serve with small vehicles rather than large buses.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 PM

90 posts, read 327,177 times
I know what you're talking about
Ford Expeditions belonging to Lucas Transportation, etc.

Apparently they are private car companies that people can hire to take their children to school. Most likely these would be special needs children who cannot ride the school bus for one reason or another. I think some of those drivers need to go back to Driver's Ed, though.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,903 times
They are special needs shuttles. Banks Transportation, Lucas, etc in Ford Taurus wagons or Expeditions. As far as I know, you cannot just go out and hire them as a private bus service. Their drivers tend to be very offensive drivers who exceed the speed limit (once was behind one doing 18 over the limit...yes, I sped up so I could report the person although I doubt it did any good). I could go on and on about my thoughts on their services. I'd NEVER trust my child in those vehicles.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,590 times
In the Wake Forest area I see a company called Peters Trans. Maybe they don't like the bus ?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
They are special needs shuttles. Banks Transportation, Lucas, etc in Ford Taurus wagons or Expeditions. As far as I know, you cannot just go out and hire them as a private bus service. Their drivers tend to be very offensive drivers who exceed the speed limit (once was behind one doing 18 over the limit...yes, I sped up so I could report the person although I doubt it did any good). I could go on and on about my thoughts on their services. I'd NEVER trust my child in those vehicles.
I agree. I have witnessed Peter's and Lucas driving very aggressively. I've always found it odd that these types of companies that should be driving safely always hire the most out of control.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM

70 posts, read 327,394 times
Yes, these are contracted by the WCPSS for students with special needs.

You can see evidence of this here on page 14 of 19 in minutes from a WCPSS meeting, though this particular one I found is from last year. Minutes

Here were the names of the list as of 2008: Peters Transportation Inc., CMC Transportation, Lucas Transportation, Associated Cab Company, Banks Transportation,
Lucas Transportation Inc., Response Transportation Inc., Peters Transportation, Inc., AA&D Transportation, and Associated Cab Company

I personally have only ever seen and had experience with Lucas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary