Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,535 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone had a similiar experience on Halloween night. I left a party with my child in the car (around 9:30pm) from a neighborhood in SW Durham near the mall. I pulled onto 751 heading near Jordan Lake as I live in a neighborhood on 751. There were no cars that I pulled out in front of and all of a sudden there is a car that is right on my tail. I was not speeding, nor was I drunk or driving erractically. I look again (actually a few times) before I completely process that it is a cop that is driving so dangeroulsy close to me. All I could see were the lights on top of the cop car, it was so close that I couldn't see the cars headlights.

The car continues to follow very closely and proceeds to follow me into my neighborhood all the way to my driveway. I pulled into my driveway and the cop speeds past me and through the neighborhood. (So fast that when I pull in and roll down the window to tell my husband who was getting out of his car and had gotten home ahead of me-he didn't even see the car go by).

I had been tempted to tap my brakes a few times or even pull over and see if the cop was going to pull over (since I had done nothing wrong). But I was dressed up for Halloween and I had my child in the car and wanted to get him home.

Did anyone else see cops out that night? I felt like I was being profiled. (granted I drive a mommie SUV and I am not sure why a cop would tail me all the way home). I also wonder if I had stopped short (say a deer ran in front of my car-which happens where I live and he had hit me--what might have happened)

I just think that it was inappropiate for the cop to tail me all the way home. If he had probable cause then pull me over or don't follow so closely. I value the police but I don't think tailing someone home is right.

Thanks for reading and curious what you all would have done that night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I would have pulled over. Either he would have passed you or stopped and explained why he was following you. Maybe he was going to something that was urgent but not an emergency, eg no flashing lights?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Yep, usually when they do that I pull over too.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 AM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
that happened to me on the way out of Greensboro heading to Charlotte on I-85, but it was a State Trooper on my rear bumper. I pulled over and he kept going.

Edited to add: This happened in 1993. I am female and was alone at the time.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
They are trying to test/intimidate you, if you freak out if you are drunk, etc. A scare tactic. Sometimes they get close to read your license and run a quick background search, especially after you break the law or just randomly.

Remember, police officers are human too and make mistakes. Please stay safe.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
Just curious if anyone had a similiar experience on Halloween night. I left a party with my child in the car (around 9:30pm) from a neighborhood in SW Durham near the mall. I pulled onto 751 heading near Jordan Lake as I live in a neighborhood on 751. There were no cars that I pulled out in front of and all of a sudden there is a car that is right on my tail. I was not speeding, nor was I drunk or driving erractically. I look again (actually a few times) before I completely process that it is a cop that is driving so dangeroulsy close to me. All I could see were the lights on top of the cop car, it was so close that I couldn't see the cars headlights.

The car continues to follow very closely and proceeds to follow me into my neighborhood all the way to my driveway. I pulled into my driveway and the cop speeds past me and through the neighborhood. (So fast that when I pull in and roll down the window to tell my husband who was getting out of his car and had gotten home ahead of me-he didn't even see the car go by).

I had been tempted to tap my brakes a few times or even pull over and see if the cop was going to pull over (since I had done nothing wrong). But I was dressed up for Halloween and I had my child in the car and wanted to get him home.

Did anyone else see cops out that night? I felt like I was being profiled. (granted I drive a mommie SUV and I am not sure why a cop would tail me all the way home). I also wonder if I had stopped short (say a deer ran in front of my car-which happens where I live and he had hit me--what might have happened)

I just think that it was inappropiate for the cop to tail me all the way home. If he had probable cause then pull me over or don't follow so closely. I value the police but I don't think tailing someone home is right.

Thanks for reading and curious what you all would have done that night?
Hey Sunnie741,

Who were you dressed as, Kim Kardashian ... because that would certainly explain why he would follow you all the way home?

As far as the idea to pull over, that may not have been a good idea on a dark street with just you and your kid because it could have been an impostor as well ...btw, was it a marked car or unmarked car?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM

93 posts, read 326,612 times
I've heard that rather than pull over for a police car if they are making you nervous, you can drive to the nearest police station or Fire station. Pull in and explain your concerns.

I would have been very upset by those circumstances...

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
I've heard that rather than pull over for a police car if they are making you nervous, you can drive to the nearest police station or Fire station. Pull in and explain your concerns.

I would have been very upset by those circumstances...
Back in high school (North Raleigh), a friend of mine (16 y.o. female) was pulled over for the first time ever, for speeding. Our drivers ED teacher told us not to pull over a dark area, due to "blue light bandits" and to drive to a public/lit area. She turned on her warning lights and did just that, pulling into a nearby grocery store. The cop had a huge hissy fit, yelling at her that she should pull over immediately when he flashed his lights and now he was going to give her a ticket instead of a warning. She started balling and then he told her to "shut it" and that it "wasn't going to work" with him. She was so traumatized, that she couldn't drive for a while. Then the cop came back and again yelled at her to "move her vehicle immediately" because she was blocking the driveway, or she was going to cause an accident.

How professional was that?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Considering that

a) It was Halloween
b) Halloween fell on a Saturday night

both of which increased the danger of rowdy parties AND "Tricking", I would assume he (?) was just following you to make sure you weren't drunk? I was out of town, but where we were, there were warnings all over the news that cops would be "out and about". Chalk it up to a public safety measure.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM

226 posts, read 788,036 times
He might have been looking for someone or there might have been an alert for a vehicle resembling yours. He might have been following you while he was trying to run your plates to verify if you were who he was looking for. Either way, don't EVER pull over unless the blue lights are on and even then, drive to a well-lit area with people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary