Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM

17 posts, read 38,766 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, we need to make a decision very soon about living in Cary or Apex. We really want a new or newer home with updates that is in a family friendly neighborhood. I have read where some subdivisions there is a real sense of community with get togethers and lots of kids. We would also like to be central to things with lots of stores. Funky Chicken gave some great feedback, but would love to also hear from others as well. We are feeling the pressure of time. Thank you souch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Cary is a stable/established community and very clean area since it is a new bedroom community for the RTP and never had a dumpy area since most of it is new development. It is starting to spread southward, starting to touch Apex/Morrisville on the west and ?garner on the east. Property costs are high there.

Apex is still empty and rural. It is farther away from the RTP, but you can get huge plots/land out there.

So, where is work for you? What amenities do you want near by? My recommedation is to look at new areas off Hw540 and Hw55 The area neighborhoods are still new and modern, a relatively cheap due to the buyers market. I can already tell you that development will follow in that area

Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I think you need to throw out the conventional thinking about "which town" and simply think about "where".
Hear me out-
I have lived in 2 locations in the triangle since moving here. They are 19 miles apart, and in order to drive from one to another you must leave the original town and drive thru three other municipalities to get there.

They are both technically in Cary. We have always paid our local taxes to the Town Of Cary, even during the first year in the first house when our Mailing address was Morrisville, NC 27560.

That's right-we moved from Cary to Cary and to get from one house to the other you leave Cary town limits and drive thru Apex, an unincorporated area of the county with a Raleigh Zip Code, and then into the town of Holly Springs before arriving back in Cary.

Our neighborhood is totally non-contiguous to any other land under Cary's control. We are a "Donut Hole" that was annexed into Cary jurisdiction.

We use a town of Cary park regularly. It's directly across from the entrance to our neighborhood.

My brother goes there all the time too-he actually lives closer to that town of Cary park than we do.

Oh yeah-he lives in Holly Springs.

I told you I live in Cary. My mailing address-

Apex, NC 27539.

Another forum member lives right around the corner from me in Brighton Forest. Their mailing address is Apex, 27539 as well.

Brighton Forest is technically in Fuquay-Varina.

Town borders don't mean a heck of a lot around here. They don't dictate which schools your kids attend, as often as not your mailing address does not match the town you pay your taxes to, and many people who live in one town find their most convenient shopping in a different town.

You are looking in a great area whether it's Cary or Apex. If I were in the market I'd be looking for the right home in the right location with virtually no regard for which town it was in. I'd want a stable neighborhood and if I were buying new I'd look to be in a later phase as opposed to being one of the first in (5 or 6 years ago the opposite was true, but now there is no telling when and if a new subdivision will actually build out).

Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM

226 posts, read 787,697 times
"Apex is still empty and rural. It is farther away from the RTP, but you can get huge plots/land out there."

Hmmm.... I must live in a different Apex!! It is hardly empty, a few rural parts, but it is FULL of family subdivisions!! I also take exception with the comments about "huge lots". Those are few and far between, unless huge to you is .25 acre!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
"Apex is still empty and rural. It is farther away from the RTP, but you can get huge plots/land out there."

Hmmm.... I must live in a different Apex!! It is hardly empty, a few rural parts, but it is FULL of family subdivisions!! I also take exception with the comments about "huge lots". Those are few and far between, unless huge to you is .25 acre!
LOL my sister lives in Apex and I was thinking the same thing.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
The part of Cary/Apex you're talking about it really a "Six of One, Half Dozen of the other" situation. The neighborhoods are similar, so find one you like, and I'd say don't worry what town name is on the address.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Some of the people I know that live in Apex seem to come to Cary for almost all their activities other than shopping at the Beaver Creek shopping center. So, you may want to consider if you want schools, doctors, shopping etc. to be a five minute drive away or a fifteen minute drive away. Of course there is shopping, docs etc. in Apex but it seems that the Apex folks do come to Cary quite a bit.

That said, perhaps you would prefer to be further away from Cary. I think the advice to consider the properties based on their real location rather than town in good. Cary is spread out and parts of it are further from downtown Cary than parts of Apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary