Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,781 times

Advertisements

We pay $642 a year pool, playground, 2 entrance's upkeep, common areas and we also have to pay for are street lighting in are dues. Home prices are 265 - 375
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I live in Woodcroft in Durham where many of the houses fit into the price range mentioned by the OP. Homes here were built in the late '80s and early '90s. I'm not sure of the exact number of homes; I'm sure there are over 1000 (single family homes plus townhomes). Annual dues for the HOA are $189. Most of that covers maintenance of our 6 miles of paved walking trails, plus miles of manicured landscaping along the trails and roads (mowing, seasonal replanting of flowerbeds, benches, doggie bag stations, etc.). We have a clubhouse with a pool, tennis courts, and soccer fields, but joining costs extra and is purely voluntary.

Note that I know people who live in smaller, newer neighborhoods than ours & have higher HOA dues even though the only community property is the neighborhood sign.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
You must live in Braefield as well, what a rip off. We pay $384 a week in lawn mx to mow 4 small sections of common area. It's obscene. I think someone is embezzling.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,493 times
The Board should explain the annual budget thoroughly before the community members adopt it, especially if it will drive up the dues. Ask questions to make certain that the Board is giving these costs the necessary attention they deserve.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: No self-promotion allowed.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
We just moved out of Springbrooke in Cary. Price range is about $175-$250,000. There are about 120 houses there. Dues were $115, which covered primarily landscaping of common areas and insurance on a community pond.

However, it is worth noting two things:

1) Springbrooke operates with an all-volunteer board and management and has a tight budget with that. Silverton, the considerably larger subdivision of about 400 houses across the street in a similar price range, uses a management company and I believe their dues are in the $300-$400 range (a realtor could check this on current listings). If your dues are being driven up by a management company, you could try to get a new management company.

2) At Springbrooke the covenants prevented the board from ever raising dues more than 10% in a single year. You might want to read your community documents and determine what the limits are for your community.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
You don't need to know what others pay - it's different for each neighborhood. You need to request your budget and your financials (your right). Then look them over and ask about potential savings. A lot of people jump to the same conclusion without knowing the facts. It's not free to plant flowers at the entrance, buy insurance for the common area, blah blah blah.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You must live in Braefield as well, what a rip off. We pay $384 a week in lawn mx to mow 4 small sections of common area. It's obscene. I think someone is embezzling.
Before you so casually toss out such an accusation, have you asked to see financials or contracts? Or are you content to sit back and make assumptions? One point I try to make to residents who say the lawn maintenance should be cheaper is that it's not just mowing. It's mowing, edging, weeding, fertilizing, aerating, seeding, lyming, fire ant killing, etc. And I guarantee your budget has at least 20 line items. I cannot stand it when homeowners call and say, "Why do I have to pay $400 a year just for ______ (any one amenity)?" I always just say, "You don't, because only x% of your budget goes to that." Educate yourself and you will be surprised.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
$173, but we have townhomes and homes. Also, have a gym/pool and lots of events.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:42 PM

70 posts, read 168,702 times
The HOA dues in the community in which I live are $80 a month. It's a townhome community with no pool, club house, etc. The community is professionally managed and they maintain all landscaping, do structural repairs, repaving, and things of that nature.

I think $80 is very reasonable. However, things are changing in the community and I'm worried we homeowners will face an increase in the near future.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM

168 posts, read 350,043 times
I live in a large PUD in Cary and pay into two associations although they seem to be the same thing. They are managed by Talis and we pay $13 a month that is billed as an annual payment. We do not have any amenities. They maintain common areas, a small playground, neighborhood signage, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary